• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Soars on BookScan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halochief_90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Good for Bleach, but this shows Viz should've probably waited until the anime aired. It's a great show so far (and probably great manga too), but I ain't buying 8 volumes of manga all at once.

Last edited by halochief_90 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I thought sales would jump after the anime started airing, but not like this! Freaking great! It's strange, though, because the ratings for the anime so far were not in the top of the top for Saturday night, I thought. Or maybe it's because I've found the manga to be better so far (the anime goes so fast!). Razz

EDIT: Didn't realize this was just the list for graphic novels. >< Still really good, though.

Oh, and I have loved Bleach so far throughout its whole story, volume 1 to where I am now -- about to start volume 11.

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Quote:
and five other Bleach volumes are in the BookScan top 50, of which manga held 42 spots.

Are they saying that out of the 50 book titles, some type of manga or another has claimed all but 8 slots!? That's amazing! I wonder what the other's are in the top 5 (wish they'd've mentioned it). It's great to see so many graphic novel companies recognizing manga for what it is: entertaining, enjoyable, and any-age-fun. NOT "comics just for little kids with no real depth." Mr. Green

I highly doubt that -- I think it was a misprint. I can't see manga getting 42 spots out of the top 50 yet...

EDIT: Oh, this is just the list for graphic novels. Now it makes sense...

Quote:
I really dislike the types of fans who start watching/reading something just because it's popular, so please don't judge me as such. I believe there's a world of difference between someone who likes a series which they find out is popular, and someone who likes/reads it because it's popular.

There is no difference. If someone only hears about something after it has gotten popular, the story or anything like that is not going to change. They may have higher expectations, but there still is no significant difference.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
It was just the opposite with me. The Hollows only came off as monster-of-the-week fanfare.

I think it depends on your perspective. I didn't see the beginning as being about Hollows at all--it was about the main characters connected to the Hollows.

(the only exception being the Don Kanonji eps... but the anime took out a little bit from the manga there)
DuoSagara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
I say great job on making sure that stores are well-equipped on selling this stuff. Greay way to cross promote. Bleach is my current love, so positive turnout from mainstream U.S. fans is all the better, economically speaking. Heh, I just bought my vol. 15 a couple days ago myself Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this makes me so happy. I don't buy Bleach, but this gives them more money to keep on releasing those series I do buy, such as Golgo 13, The Drifting Classroom, Monster, and the like.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
I assume this is because of Bleach airing on CN? One thing irks me, though, if it's doing so good on the manga side then why is the anime still not in the top three most watched shows for Saturday?! Maybe it was for a couple of weeks, but I only caught the bump that aired yesterday on AS.

Well, Adult Swim has only aired three episodes so far, we can wait. Besides, the 18-34 audience loves to watch Futurama and is willing to stay up and watch the same episode at 2 AM.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
bleach volume 15 is sold out in all the bookstores around where I live, so I had them call me when they get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2