• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vividred Operation Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Polycell wrote:
I immediately lost whatever urge I had to buy this at "does not offer offer translated lyrics". It's a fun show, but AoA doesn't seem to be offering anything here I wouldn't be able to enjoy via Crunchyroll.

You'd be missing out on all the uncensored goodness though!

Personally I want to get this, but I am holding off until Aniplex decides to release a blu-ray version

That's true, blu-ray plus dub please, like Strike Witches got.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, anyways, kinda liked the show when it was simulcasted and such, its like an alternative towards Strike Witches, but the plot sometimes go all over the place, but it still goes linear just fine.

And yeah, this show would have been nice if it did had a dub, but nope, oh well, already saw it, so yeah, its alright.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Theron, please.

zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Just like 99% of their releases-overpriced and a day late.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Some of the reviews on this site could be about a dump the reviewer took the day before and they'd still manage to give it a B.

LOL. That's a good one. ANN reviewers are far too lenient. C grades are supposed to be average, according to Carlo Santos. But that should mean that there are as many D and F grade anime as A and B grade, and there's simply not. Not by a long chalk. It's like ANN uses a scale of A to C rather than A to F.

ccChuey123 wrote:
Uncensored

Thank you.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
C grades are supposed to be average, according to Carlo Santos. But that should mean that there are as many D and F grade anime as A and B grade, and there's simply not. Not by a long chalk. It's like ANN uses a scale of A to C rather than A to F.

Laughing Looks like somebody can't distinguish between the terms "average grade" and "grade average".
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
That's true, blu-ray plus dub please, like Strike Witches got.

Aniplex only dubs its really big properties, and even then, not always. I doubt they'd consider Vividred Operation to be worth the added expense.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

LOL. That's a good one. ANN reviewers are far too lenient. C grades are supposed to be average, according to Carlo Santos. But that should mean that there are as many D and F grade anime as A and B grade, and there's simply not. Not by a long chalk. It's like ANN uses a scale of A to C rather than A to F.

I do think a lot of shows have gotten too lenient treatment when it comes to grading. But I'm a lot more strict with how I grade stuff. For me, C is a bad grade. D is a terrible grade, and F is abysmal. B is "good enough to entertain." My actual "good" grades start at B+.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
^
For me, and this is just speaking generally: A is the really great stuff that everyone should watch no matter what their tastes; B is not spectacular but still a solid show by any standard and an enjoyable entry into its genre; C is mediocre and could be passed without missing out on anything; D is poor and should not be watched by anyone except hardcore fans of its genre; F is just crap and even fans of its genre would be advised to miss it (that said, even the worst shows in a genre have their loyal and vocal fanbases).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
Some of the reviews on this site could be about a dump the reviewer took the day before and they'd still manage to give it a B.

It's been compared to good ol' grade inflation in college. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:
^
For me, and this is just speaking generally: A is the really great stuff that everyone should watch no matter what their tastes; B is not spectacular but still a solid show by any standard and an enjoyable entry into its genre; C is mediocre and could be passed without missing out on anything; D is poor and should not be watched by anyone except hardcore fans of its genre; F is just crap and even fans of its genre would be advised to miss it (that said, even the worst shows in a genre have their loyal and vocal fanbases).

There's an old saying: do what you want - no matter how bad it turns out to be, there will always be some people who'd say "it's not so bad." Smile

(And aren't those skorts?)
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
well recall seeing this series give remind of strike witches but it set in future & also remind like POWER RANGERS series.

give calling them vivid rangers sure color uniform team, whole giant monster fight, etc yea it like power rangers.

i know series worth a watch give bit WHAT on you know the bird that did "chomp" part still bit you got to be kidding me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I do think a lot of shows have gotten too lenient treatment when it comes to grading. But I'm a lot more strict with how I grade stuff. For me, C is a bad grade. D is a terrible grade, and F is abysmal. B is "good enough to entertain." My actual "good" grades start at B+.

Yeah, but both you and dtm42 share the same delusion that you are in possession of some sort of impeccable taste above the norm. A rather hilarious notion to anyone, like myself, who has read a lot of the dopey comments both of you have made on various anime titles. Any of the ANN reviewers easily outstrip you both in terms of analytical skills as well as avoiding the "wtf-ness" that both of you are very prone to.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Blood-, please. Even though you are complimenting me, those kind of comments just stir up trouble. Besides, I think dtm42's grade-assigning standard is a good one (as long as it being at least somewhat subjective is implicit), and I use a minor variation on that myself.

To be clear on a couple of other things:
*My "no skirts found here" comment was meant to refer to when they weren't in magical girl form. But that was my bad for not making that clearer.
*My comments about Rei being Homura have nothing to do with archery. It's the way she looks, the way she acts, the fact that spoiler[she's from an alternate universe/timeline and here to try to prevent what happened in her world]. Granted, her motivations for doing the latter are way different than Homura's, but apparently these parallels weren't as glaringly obvious to others as I thought they were?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Depends what "average" means. Is "C" the grade given to what the reviewer considers an average anime, or is "C" the average grade given across all reviewed anime?

If the former, I would hope there are far more As and Bs than Ds and Fs, as "F" anime should probably not be made. And if they're made, they probably shouldn't be licensed in this economy (or any economy, really, though everyone made an exception in the early 2000s and crashed the industry). So we should get more "A" anime than "F" anime in individual reviews, and more "shelf worthy" than "perishable" in Shelf Life, etc.

If the latter, then the grading curve is silly, since I don't think there are as many "bad" anime as "good" anime created. If you look at the user ratings here, the "average" 5.50 score is currently given to shows #4203 through #4210, out of 4427 shows with enough ratings to make the Bayesian list. If the users think 95% of the shows are above average, the reviewers should probably skew well above a C-centered bell curve too, lest the talkback threads be filled with "This show is so much way betterer than that!" every time...

Should there be one failing student for every "A" student in Physics 451? Of course not; the ones who can't handle a physics major should have been weeded out in the 100 or 200 level courses. Expecting created-licensed-and-reviewed anime to meet such a curve is the same. Yes, some crap gets through, but if you think there are as many unwatchable shows as there are good shows, you probably need to find a form of entertainment that better matches your expectations. I don't think I'd go to a concert if I expected half the songs to stink...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Mikeski, for seeing the same thing that I did. I honestly have no idea how someone could assume that using C as an "average grade" means the same thing as saying that C is the grade average of all titles ANN has ever reviewed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3