• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free anime available for streaming on Viewster.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
So has anyone heard of the website www.Viewster.com?

Apparently, it's a company out of Switzerland that's similar to stream-on-demand sites like Hulu and Crackle. For the most part, they mainly carry a lot of films and TV shows that not many people know about, much like Popcorn Flix.

But what you might also find interesting is that they have a very impressive selection of anime:

http://www.viewster.com/genre/58/anime

The series they have up on the site as of right now are:

• Samurai Champloo
• Hellsing TV
• Dance in the Vampire Bund
• Casshern Sins
• Black Butler season 1
• Armitage III
• Strike Witches seasons 1 & 2
• Trigun
• Ouran High School Host Club
• FLCL
• El Cazador de la Bruja
• Vandread
• Shuffle!
• [C]-Control
• Is This a Zombie?
• Deadman Wonderland

All of the shows are up on the site in their entirety, in English, completely free.

Now of course, something like this usually sounds to good to be true, so you might doubt the legality of the site. But nope, they apparently have a special arrangement going on with FUNimation right now to stream their anime free of charge. It's all 100% legit. And the streaming regions available cover not only Switzerland but the US and UK as well.

I swear I'm not a mole for the company or anything. I just thought you guys might like to know about a new legal streaming site for anime.

So for those of you who have used it, what do you think of Viewster?

EDIT: Just in case someone was still doubting the site's legality, here's FUNimation's official tweet acknowledging the service: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/389843777307045890
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Watched about 10 minutes of FLCL. Video quality seemed good enough, and it didn't seem to pause or glitch or anything like that.

Gotta say, if this really is free and legal its a nice alternative to watch some dubbed anime if they ever upload more. There isnt much I would watch on there now (either I've already seen them or dont care for em), other than maybe armitage III.

But for people in the UK, who dont have as many streaming options for dubbed anime as we do Stateside, it could be a good source for them to watch some if they ever upload more.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was really surprised by how good the quality was, especially on FLCL. I think it might look better on Viewster than it does on Toonami, actually. Laughing

Armitage looked a bit choppy to me (they only have the original 4 episode OVA up on the site, BTW, not the two movies) but I imagine that's more due to the fact it's an old show rather than the website itself.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...site works fine on computer, but the Ipad app doesn't have anime, and when I try to pull up the website on the Ipad's internet, the anime section comes up blank, showing no titles available (while every other section has all the available titles in it).

However, the anime section works just fine on my ps3's internet browser, so that's always an option. I also have my computer hooked into the pc input of my tv, so I can do it that way too.

Either way, site seems pretty legit and quality is good. Just needs a bigger selection.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
It seems that what I said above isn't entirely true: All the shows are dubbed in English except for Strike Witches, which is in Japanese with subtitles.

I don't know why that show in particular would be the odd one out. Must be licensing issues with Gonzo or something. Confused
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:58 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So has anyone heard of the website www.Viewster.com?

Apparently, it's a company out of Switzerland
So for those of you who have used it, what do you think of Viewster?

...Ohh, so THAT'S why half the movies are German! Have to admit, I was wondering.

Basically, you ever go deep enough into Amazon Prime that you start hitting that weird back-of-the-video-shelf area where it's all obscure low-rent Public Domain titles? That would be Viewster.
Quote:
EDIT: Just in case someone was still doubting the site's legality, here's FUNimation's official tweet acknowledging the service: https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/389843777307045890

I guess they must've had a falling-out with Hulu, or were otherwise somehow pitch-conned into thinking Viewster was an actual service?

(Still, if it gives me a free chance to catch up on ITAZ? without paying Hulu $7.99/mo., I've got the Smart-TV app for it that's not doing anything at the moment.
If it's one of their pay-VOD titles, though....View, you gotta be freakin' kidding me. Rolling Eyes I can get Valkyria Chronicles, GE999 and the Nodame dub on Crackle for free.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this up! I actually heard of Viewster before, and I contacted them on Twitter when I noticed that none of their anime titles showed up on my Roku app. They told me that their apps were slow to update. I don't know when anything will become available.

But I'm always happy to find new legal streaming services, find hidden gems, share the info. I wish there was some organized place that listed all the anime available on streaming sites (heck, all the TV & movies available on streaming sites-from British sitcoms, to French zombie dramas to Danish procedurals...) Finding what's out there in any genre is a pain, with inconsistent lists and constantly changing availability.

Hulu just got Mawaru Penguindrum and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (but only subbed versions, iirc)! Netflix lost Soul Eater recently. I'm not sure if Crunchyroll hosts any dubs anymore...is there anyway we can keep track of all this?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I know it's been a while since I updated this thread, but since then Viewster has added Girls Bravo and Vandread: Second Stage to their anime list.

Both shows are available in their entirety with both English and Japanese audio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1