• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gunslinger Girls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
My opinion on Kamisama Kiss: if you are thinking of watching that show, just pop in a DVD of Inuyasha and you'll be just fine. Much higher quality of characters, much more action, funnier, more complex romance, and just more fun in general. Other than that, though, they seem to cater to a very similar audience.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
^
Ha hah haha hah ha ha hah.

InuYasha is better than Kamisama Kiss? Oh go on, pull the other one while you're at it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Was expecting Upotte to get a rental shelf. Not a great show, but very entertaining. I'll definitely get it, I'm a sucker for these military girls type shows. Plus it'll look good next to my Strike Witches and Girls Und Panzer dvds. Although I'm getting a sense of deja vu in this review: I think Bamboo used almost the exact same words (stumpy character designs vs. dumpy character designs) in her stream review. I never found the character designs ugly or anything; maybe slightly pudgier than usual but that's how most Xebec anime look like. The animation wasn't amazing but the fight scenes were pretty nice.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Bamboo, on Kamisama Kiss, wrote:
It's not my cup of tea, but for those for which it is, by all means, drink the whole pot.

Shoujo isn't my cup of tea either. And yet, with Kamisama Kiss, I can assure you that I did drink the whole pot (and then some). I think I even got caffeine poisoning. It's a really good show with a great heroine and I love the opening and ending credits.

Kamisama Kiss is an ok show. I'm trying to say more about it but the only thing I remember clearly is Yui Horie's fish performance. <gnish>

Great heroine, great heroine... It's not ringing any bells. You sure you got the right show? I thought it was the standard "I'm really trying to show my feelings here, you know! You standoffish jerk!" reactionary shtick.

I do give credit to the show by making the "second place" guy not the one you'd expect or even the guy the girl expected, not that any of them are human.... There's a masquerade yet they exist and they go to school, some of them are idols but why, how many, are there a couple in each school... Not that the plot goes anywhere... or the romantic comedy...

Sigh. Why did I waste my time with this show again?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Ah gunslinger gun and Upotte!

I initially dismissed GG has just "another stupid fan service show" (and a pretty sick one at that, brain washing little girl and make them into slave to "big brother"), but I eventually came around to reading it and found one of the best manga I'd ever read.

So when Upotte! came around I figured I should give it a try, you never know, right? Well sometime you do know...

well i liked both of them , though GG was kinda slow to start and some of their handlers definitely at times pegged the creepo meter.

at least in this series there is none. and it kinda sucked that it got reduced to a 10 ep ONA instead of the basic 13 ep TV series. probably cause the fanservice was not meant for tv i guess considering it got the ONA label so fast.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
Upotte!! does have its downsides, though… which ties back into its fleshy DVD and Blu-Ray covers. It absolutely reeks of fanservice, which is fine to a point… but Upotte!! has a tendency to take things a little too far.

I wouldnt be so sure. for some people who dont like the lolicon tendencies , yea. but for the fanservice otaku junkies , its definitely fits right at home and there are some like me think that they didn't go far enough.

It definitely depends on the taste. for those that cant stand it, its perishable, but those that are addicted to those fanservice type tendencies , its an auto shelf worthy.

Too bad no one have licensed the manga version or its OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
The OVA is included with the Sentai release of Upotte!!, though I personally didn't care much for it, given that it leaves almost everything I liked about the show behind in favor of more fanservice(the one time we see any gun action is a couple seconds of Ichiroku's shooting at some fish, for crying out loud!).
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's not my cup of tea, but for those for which it is, by all means, drink the whole pot.

Shoujo isn't my cup of tea either. And yet, with Kamisama Kiss, I can assure you that I did drink the whole pot (and then some). I think I even got caffeine poisoning. It's a really good show with a great heroine and I love the opening and ending credits.

I wholeheartedly agree about the OP and ED! The OP song, in particular, is infectious and sexy-cute enough to make a grown man swoon. (The breathy/sultry voice of Hanae is a large part of that.)

I found the show to be very good. Romantic comedy is my go-to genre, so that isn't very surprising. Since it was simulcasting at the same time as two other notable shoujo romantic comedies (My Little Monster and Say, "I Love You") I found it very interesting to compare and contrast them. As the season went on, Kamisama Kiss found its way to the top of the three, due to better character and story development in the later half of the show and the persistent cuteness of the leading lady.
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My opinion on Kamisama Kiss: if you are thinking of watching that show, just pop in a DVD of Inuyasha and you'll be just fine. Much higher quality of characters, much more action, funnier, more complex romance, and just more fun in general. Other than that, though, they seem to cater to a very similar audience.

Well, other than the fact that Inuyasha is a shounen title and Kamisama Kiss is a shoujo title; Inuyasha concentrates on action/adventure and Kamisama Kiss is almost exclusively comedy (it doesn't even have drama tagged as a genre); and Kamisama Kiss takes place mostly in the "present" without the physical time travel involved in Inuyasha... I guess if bishounen youkai is what you concentrate on, they might be similar, but they really aren't aimed at the same target audience at all. (Though I will admit that, for a shoujo title, Kamisama Kiss has some sienen-esque feel to it and Inuyasha is a rather atypical shounen title.)
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know that the whole "male teacher pulling the triggers of these gun girls" bit is over the line

Maybe this review should have... a trigger warning.

Very Happy

Rolling Eyes
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree about the OP and ED! The OP song, in particular, is infectious and sexy-cute enough to make a grown man swoon. (The breathy/sultry voice of Hanae is a large part of that.)

I was thrilled when I found out that both the OP and ED were on the same CD-single (PV for one of them on DVD included, too), rather than the splitting them onto two discs. I was quite happy with that purchase.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

Wholeheartedly agreed. I watched the opening credits every single episode and it always felt like she was whispering sweet nothings into my soul.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Lol @ DBZ shelf. Especially when you consider how large a complete collection of all the releases would be Shocked

Upotte just started on TAN and i was planning on skipping it due to the concept, but if it's at least decent enough for a rental, I'll give it a try.

dtm42 wrote:
^
And pushing the hidden button is how you turn on a chobits-type persocom.

Didn't they justify that though in-story that it was done specifically for Chii to take spoiler[sex] out of the equation for someone falling in love for her? I don't remember if it was in the manga, anime or both, but I'm pretty sure there was an actual reason for it.

Which brings this thought to mind suddenly, spoiler[does that mean that you could have sex with a regular persocom]? O_o
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

dtm42 wrote:
^
And pushing the hidden button is how you turn on a chobits-type persocom.

Didn't they justify that though in-story that it was done specifically for Chii to take spoiler[sex] out of the equation for someone falling in love for her? I don't remember if it was in the manga, anime or both, but I'm pretty sure there was an actual reason for it.

Which brings this thought to mind suddenly, spoiler[does that mean that you could have sex with a regular persocom]? O_o

There are......... other ways............
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Yes, that is true; spoiler[she would be turned off if there was intercourse. But my point was, to turn her on in the first place also meant penetrating her vagina.]

Covnam wrote:

No offense, but this was addressed in the show. spoiler[First though, we must put aside the fact that normal persocoms don't have free will and a 'soul' and therefore technically can't be said to "have sex", because that implies consent. The real term is therefore that they have intercourse. With that out of the way, too many people in society were having intercourse with persocoms at the expense of normal human-to-human relationships, like in the case of the husband of the cram school teacher who fell in love with his persocom and ignored his wife. That's why Chi - even with her free will - could not have consensual penetrative sex, because she was an experiment. Her 'mother' (the landlady) attempted to prove that pure love could exist between a human and a persocom, and that a human could love a persocom for more than just its body. Of course, vaginal intercourse is not the only type of sex that exists, and there are several ways around it . . . not that the idiot lead guy could ever figure that out.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Kiss is a story about a girl who acquires kami status and powers and never seems to notice.

Other than that the art that went into her first exhibition dance I think was a highlight. The review was pretty fair and I rather enjoyed watching it.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Yes, that is true; spoiler[she would be turned off if there was intercourse. But my point was, to turn her on in the first place also meant penetrating her vagina.]

Well, that was your interpretation. I just read it as spoiler[her On button was in her crotch].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3