• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Up-And-Coming Female Voice Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boznia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Seto and Komatsu <3. I've enjoyed both their work in recent years, especially Seto. She does a hell of a job playing a genki girl.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
And about this list... I think Shiori Mikami's popularity is gonna rise pretty high, especially after Attack on a Titan, so I would've included her in this list as well.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Favorite Japanese VA: Akira Kamiya(City Hunter, Fist of the North Star)

Favorite American VA: Crispin Freeman(The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Hellsing)
yappers4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Aside from a few notable Japanese VAs, I honestly can't tell them apart when I hear them.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
When I saw "Female Voice Actors" in the title, I thought I'd see actual US actresses, not female seiyuu, listed.

I can't say that I keep track of many seiyuu. The ones that I like (when I deign to watch a show subbed) seem to be in only a handful of things and drop off the face of the planet. Hopefully because they didn't work with the "sound like an archetype, not a unique character" paradigm that has become all the rage with so many modern Japanese dubs. Laughing
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
When I saw "Female Voice Actors" in the title, I thought I'd see actual US actresses, not female seiyuu, listed.

Is that actually a big enough pool to pick out six "up-and-coming" ones (which implies there's far more than six rookies to choose from)?
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:

Houko Kuwashima (Wang Yi from Dynasty Warriors, Clare from Claymore)

<----- ::points to avatar::

You forgot to add that Houko also Did Sango from Inuyasha too. lol.

but yeah, I love Mako's Character from Kill la Kill. Her voice actress does a really great job. lol and she shorta looks like a real life mako to boot. lol.

and I wonder Why Nana Mizuki isn't mentioned in the names up above before mentioning the new comers list, Nana is awsome and she has one hell of a singing voice. she's one of the rare singers that can REALLY sing live and keep that same power as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
and I wonder Why Nana Mizuki isn't mentioned in the names up above before mentioning the new comers list, Nana is awsome and she has one hell of a singing voice. she's one of the rare singers that can REALLY sing live and keep that same power as well.

Nana has been a seiyuu for around a decade.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I can't say that I keep track of many seiyuu. The ones that I like (when I deign to watch a show subbed) seem to be in only a handful of things and drop off the face of the planet. Hopefully because they didn't work with the "sound like an archetype, not a unique character" paradigm that has become all the rage with so many modern Japanese dubs. Laughing

Back on your "LOL DUBS ARE BETTER THAN SUBS" soapbox again, I see.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Is that actually a big enough pool to pick out six "up-and-coming" ones (which implies there's far more than six rookies to choose from)?

Pretty much that same thought is why I clicked on this article.

I want to know why they didn't list it as "The List - 6 Up-And-Coming Female Seiyuu". It is one word shorter and eliminates any ambiguity.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Pretty much that same thought is why I clicked on this article.

I want to know why they didn't list it as "The List - 6 Up-And-Coming Female Seiyuu". It is one word shorter and eliminates any ambiguity.

Because replacing "Voice Actor" with the Japanese word for voice actor somehow changes the meaning of "Voice Actor?"

On topic. I was really surprised with Risa Taneda's work. She has shown a surprising range from "From the New World," got a lead role in a KyoAni production AND she sings well (that is to say, it sounds like she's received more singing lessons than the average singer/voice actor). She's definitely a relatively new voice actress whose work and progress I want to follow.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
roxybudgy wrote:
Just wanted to comment...

Quote:
the regretfully unlicensed karuta anime Chihayafuru

It's licenced in Australia. I saw part 1 and 2 DVDs at Wai-con and the local DVD store. Sub, no dub.

http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Product/470.php
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/anime/chihayafuru-part-1/686561

I just looked at the boxset. Did it seriously say "M" for mature??
Does that make the average anime XXX then? geez.... Chihayafuru is seriously one of the cleanest anime I've seen in recent memory next to Space Brothers and Polar Bear Cafe.
M is basically the equivalent of PG-13 although there's no age restriction.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
For the poll question, I choose mix. Veterans working alongside new blood is always good for the industry if you ask me.

Asami Seto did pretty good as Seishun in Magi. I was hoping to hear more lines in Kingdom of Magic, but since he's a minor character, it hasn't happened.

Hisako Kanemoto was great as Makoto in Gingitsune. She really got her character down well.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Because replacing "Voice Actor" with the Japanese word for voice actor somehow changes the meaning of "Voice Actor?"

Additionally, the title of the article is accompanied by a picture of Asami Seto, who is clearly Asian. If you're on an anime website and you see a list of voice actors with a picture of an Asian woman, it's astonishingly clear that the actors in the list will be Japanese.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Additionally, the title of the article is accompanied by a picture of Asami Seto, who is clearly Asian.

It's possible to turn those pics off, though. I use the minimum setup on the front page so I don't wear out my mouse's scrollwheel. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4