• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 17-23

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Why do people feel the need to gasp at straws and find the most half-baked, illogical, forced, unfounded, and overall BS reasons why a show they didn't like is selling well? Are people this insecure that people like what they don't? Confused
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Hopefully they at least planned for a poor showing, given the history of yuri anime. Given that Pony Canyon's listed as one of the main contributors to the production committee, disc sales meeting their target is definitely important(though Sakura Trick could possibly make it up through CD sales).

I always figured Sakura Trick would act like an excellent bridge from the usual bishoujo moe fans and get into a more explicit, non-subtextual yuri, but it's aggravating to think that not the case; it'll be even more if manga sales showed little change despite getting an anime.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

Sad to see Sakura Trick so low. Just a question but have yuri centric shows ever been that popular? That might explain why we don't see much of it anymore (though has apparently been the year of yuir so far).

Not really. Yuru Yuri did pretty well at 8k for the first season and 7k for the second. And Maria-sama ga Miteru sold decently. I can't find data for the first two seasons, but the 3rd season averaged 5k and the last season averaged 3.7k.

Beyond that, Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto both sold pretty poorly. Kashimashi averaged 2.6, Strawberry Panic averaged 2.2, Blue Drop never even ranked.

So basically, nothing that made explicit yuri a major element has ever sold particularly well. That context could be good news, in a way, because it means the production committee was unlikely to expect Sakura Trick to sell much more than this. The big question is what this did to manga sales, which we don't know. Weekly manga sales numbers are available, but Sakura Trick didn't rank. Sales could have increased four or five-fold an we wouldn't have any way of knowing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2