• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now and Then, Here and There (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Now and Then, Here and There (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, science fiction
Themes: another world, military, post-apocalyptic, war

Plot Summary: Shu is a typical Japanese boy, but has an unbeatable, optimistic and determined attitude. However, when he sees a mysterious girl with strange eyes named Lala-Ru up on a smokestack, he is soon pulled into a strange desert world. Shu soon discovers the true terrors of war, which includes genocide, brutal torture, hunger, thirst, and child explotation. Now Shu is trying to save Lala-Ru, as well as his hard earned, and often relunctant, new friends from the insane dictator, Hamdo. Whether Shu can possibly accomplish saving those he cares about while still holding up to his values remains to be seen.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

I just finished this series and I'm very impressed. I searched for the title on the forums but it doesnt seem like theres any discussions on this anime.

The story is top notch and very dramatic. The lies and deceit that goes on in wars, the suffering and pain and revenge are all very believable. Nothing is overdone and yet everything feels real. The characters are all unique in their own ways and you have to feel sorry for them. The ending is very sad, but of course that is expected with this kind of animes. I was hesitant in giving this a masterpiece rating because I want to keep this catogory as small as possible, but this is honestly one of the best animes I've seen.

I was wondering what yall thought about this one.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you on everything except on the ending.

Ending spoilers spoiler[ I didn't see it as a sad ending. Granted, it's not entirely happy considering how many people died, but it certainly wasn't a downer in my view.]

spoiler[ I see it as more of a bittersweet ending. I mean King Hamdo's dead and it seems Abelia may be on the road to redeeming herself. The desert planet now has water even though it came at the cost of Lala-Ru's life and Sara has recovered from the trauma induced by the constant rapes. Considering all the crap happened, one would think a kid of Shu's age would be traumatized. But this is Shu we're talking about. He's been portrayed as an exceptionally strong boy (spiritually). He held onto his morals and ideals to the very end despite the odds (Nabuca would be an example of someone who compromised them) and ultimately Shu succeeds. While I'm sure Shu won't ever forget what happened, but he most certainly would be able to use his experiences to make himself stronger; it'd be rather out of character if he didn't. ]

I did think the Japanese seiyuu's performance as Hamdo got a little over the top, made it a bit difficult at times for me to take Hamdo seriously as a villain, but other than that the show's practically perfect in my mind.

I really would like to see director Akitaro daichi tackle a serious drama again. He's great at it.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I was absolutely floored by it, as I had no idea what to expect going in.

It was tough to watch, with an extremely bleak tone, however spoiler[I saw the ending as more "bitter sweet", than "sad"]. I thought it was kinda hilarious (albeit, in sick and twisted way) how spoiler[Shu is your stereotypical positive poppy gung-ho protagonist put in a horrendous world and made to suffer some incredibly cruel trials. What Sara is put through, though, is just heartbreaking]...

Definitely one of the more underrated series out there and a true masterpiece, IMO.
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
I think we had a thread about it in the past, but can't find it out now too...

After many years, Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku still remains my favorite anime. I think too that the ending was not sad but bittersweet.

Some of the scenes in that anime have devastated me, like spoiler[the opening of eps 6 where Sara kills her rapist and then runs screaming into the wasteland/desert], and I find myself still crying and suffering together with the characters after so many reruns these years.

An underrated gem, and in my opinion one of the best small length drama anime series ever made...^^
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:12 pm Reply with quote
SmashRackets4Fun wrote:
I just finished this series and I'm very impressed. I searched for the title on the forums but it doesnt seem like theres any discussions on this anime.

The story is top notch and very dramatic. The lies and deceit that goes on in wars, the suffering and pain and revenge are all very believable. Nothing is overdone and yet everything feels real. The characters are all unique in their own ways and you have to feel sorry for them. The ending is very sad, but of course that is expected with this kind of animes. I was hesitant in giving this a masterpiece rating because I want to keep this catogory as small as possible, but this is honestly one of the best animes I've seen.

This thread, about the 2005 review of the series' rerelease, is the most recent thread I could find.

The problem is its age. The series is now eight years old, its original DVD release was in 2002, and its most recent rerelease was in mid-2005. It's just not fresh in community consciousness at this point because so many series have come and gone since then, and series of that age or older that still get regularly mentioned are not common. People who have been around for a while know about NTHT, however, so its name does still come up from time to time - most notably in the current Evil Character Tournament here on ANN, where Hamdo has made it to the 4th round. (See this link for a bracket breakdown so far and the sticky thread for the finer details and voting.)

And I agree, the ratings it gets are well-deserved. It's one of the best-written and most emotionally powerful (manipulative?) anime titles I've ever seen and on my short list of all-time great anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I actually just started watching and finished it too! I don't mean to be a downer, but I was honestly expecting more from it. I read very good things about it, so I was excited to watch it. I can't really understand why so many view it as a masterpiece though. It's pretty good, but very normal. It's a pretty typical story, pretty much to the point of cliche. There's the stereotypical 100% spoiler[all-evil villain]. There's the spoiler["damsels in distress"]. Etc., etc., etc. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good series. Definitely worth watching. It just seems endlessly ordinary to me. I won't knock anyone for sayig it's great though. I guess I can see where you might get that from the feelings it gives you.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this. I enjoyed it. It does get extremely heartbreaking and spoiler[Sara's trial was simply painful to watch.] As for spoiler[Shu not compromising his ideals as opposed to Nabuca, I think that anyone in Nabuca's place would have acted as he did. Shu was raised in a context that allowed him to be a child and to solve things without resorting to violence, Nabuca never had a chance. That Nabuca would be at all capable of caring for others, as he did for Boo, is already a proof that he would be as kind hearted as Shu had circumstances been different. And he does end up helping Shu right at the end.]

Regarding the ending spoiler[I felt that it tried too hard to strike a note of hope that I do not find all that believable. Sara's initial reaction to her pregnacy was psychologically credible in everyway, her choice of staying in Hellywood's world and the speech on how the baby is a product of herself and said world felt a tad fluffy. I understand that that the authors would want to have something positive to counter the sheer horror to which characters' are submitted but I did not buy it.]

And I agree that Hamdo was too much of a caricature.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed it and I'm so glad I was able to get all three discs for $30 at Anime USA this past year. Unfortunately finding cels of this is almost impossible at this point Sad
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
[quote="NocturnalUX"] As for spoiler[Shu not compromising his ideals as opposed to Nabuca, I think that anyone in Nabuca's place would have acted as he did. Shu was raised in a context that allowed him to be a child and to solve things without resorting to violence, Nabuca never had a chance. That Nabuca would be at all capable of caring for others, as he did for Boo, is already a proof that he would be as kind hearted as Shu had circumstances been different. And he does end up helping Shu right at the end.]

I couldn't agree more. spoiler[If Nabuca is what Shu would have become had he grown up under Hellywood control, Shu is probably similar to what Nabuca would have become had he lived in Shu's circumstances. That's exactly why they became so close and felt a connection with eachother. As opposed to Tabool, who became a sadist, Nabuca still had alot of good in him. He was in a horrific situation under which most adults would crumble - and for all his maturity he was still a boy. Did he do some terrible things to survive? Yes. But I think anyone who hadn't lived through what he did would be very coldhearted to judge him too harshly for it; and he did the best he could with the lot he'd been given in life. ]

I think the big question is how people like Hamdo acquire power in the first place. It just boggles the mind how things get to the point where resistance movements have to be formed. I'm also disturbed and disheartened that terror states exist at all because it means such monsters have to have considerable backing - one person can't create something like that by themself. Doing what you have to do to keep yourself and your family alive once it happens is one thing - building the foundation is quite another.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I should point that out that I basically agree with NocturnalUX and Kelly. The way I worded it made Nabuca sound worse than he actually is and I sympathesized with the poor guy ever since he made his appearance.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
As I have said in previous threads, NTHT is one of my all-time favorites. Anyone who recognizes my avatar can guess what event in the series hit me the hardest. It really ripped my heart out.
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:

I think the big question is how people like Hamdo acquire power in the first place. It just boggles the mind how things get to the point where resistance movements have to be formed. I'm also disturbed and disheartened that terror states exist at all because it means such monsters have to have considerable backing - one person can't create something like that by themself. Doing what you have to do to keep yourself and your family alive once it happens is one thing - building the foundation is quite another.

I got the impression that Hamdo wasn't always insane or at least not as utterly lunatic as he is by the time we meet him. Mainly because Abelia often refers to Hellywood's former glory and how Hamdo is to become the ruler of the world once more. So it seems that at one point Hamdo was a competent if albeit probably imperialistic ruler, he probably recruited Abelia at this point. That would explain, to some extent, while Abelia who is a clearly competent individual should side by Hamdo. She most likely hopes that he will return to his former self, that the bouts of insanity are due to a temporary setback.
It's possible that Hamdo became the leader in the first place because the world of Hellywood is so ravaged that the people felt a need for a strong leader. Speaking of which, Hamdo reminded me slightly of Hitler. Probably because he looks vaguely like him.
As for the existence of resistence movements, I found it odd that there weren't more or these within Hellywood itself.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
As I have said in previous threads, NTHT is one of my all-time favorites. Anyone who recognizes my avatar can guess what event in the series hit me the hardest. It really ripped my heart out.

That was from the episode 12 "this Bloody earth" right? What a very fitting title considering what happens there. Crying or Very sad
demonroach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I just watched it, and this is my opinion. 1. It is a good quality animation. 2. The story and charactor development is lacking in important areas. 3. #2 ruins the anime.

If you don't mind critical points not being explained or if you just like to make up your own story as to why things are happening, then this is a great anime for you. Otherwise, the lack of background story causes the whole anime to be basically superficial and non emotional when it should be.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was ok. It was a bit too preachy to me. It wasn't bad, but I really hate when a movie is heavy handed at trying to make a message... like the viewer is too stupid to get something thats plain as day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5