• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
trescaballeros wrote:
The closest thing that I can compare it to is A Bride's Story, which also features a shota groom. Keep in mind that both of these titles are set in eras where the most years you could live is 40, so child marriages were the norm. And both have no distasteful fetishizing whatsoever.

I didn't know that there was a princess with the ability to manipulate weather in Middle Ages.Fascinating,you learn stuff every day.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said before, I think he would have been a better character if he were a true shota, more along the lines of Honey from Ouran High School

No no no, dear God, no.

I despise that little freak. "Cute" has never been more irritating.

On another note, Beauty and the Beast and Stockholm Syndrome are absolutely not relevant to each other.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
As I said before, I think he would have been a better character if he were a true shota, more along the lines of Honey from Ouran High School

No no no, dear God, no.

I despise that little freak. "Cute" has never been more irritating.

Well not exactly like him. I said "more along the lines of him", which means cute when needs to be and strong when needs to be, but generally not coming across as a douche.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
On another note, Beauty and the Beast and Stockholm Syndrome are absolutely not relevant to each other.

Oh you have clearly not checked out videos and articles that overly analyse childhood media in finding secret gems or most likely to the point it ruins your childhood. Also the prince in BatB was 11 and was unfairly cursed for doing exactly what Snow White taught people not to do.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Oh you have clearly not checked out videos and articles that overly analyse childhood media in finding secret gems or most likely to the point it ruins your childhood.

I have. I just think it's all bull. Very Happy

Quote:
Also the prince in BatB was 11 and was unfairly cursed for doing exactly what Snow White taught people not to do.

HAH. That's a great point. Old hags don't exactly hold a record for being trustworthy, do they? Anime hyper
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
trescaballeros wrote:
The closest thing that I can compare it to is A Bride's Story, which also features a shota groom. Keep in mind that both of these titles are set in eras where the most years you could live is 40, so child marriages were the norm. And both have no distasteful fetishizing whatsoever.

I didn't know that there was a princess with the ability to manipulate weather in Middle Ages.Fascinating,you learn stuff every day.

No, the parallel I was making with A Bride's Story is the "child marriage presented in a wholesome way" thing, not the rain making powers thing.

Not unless I missed your sarcasm.

Quote:
Oh and small correction, the average age in middle age was very low, but this was mostly due to birth at death. If you have half the human dying before they reach a month old, that seriously diminish the average lifespan of the population, so it's not like everyone died in there 30's. Another cracked information.

If you're talking about Cracked.com, well....okay.

Guess I'm the only one who actually likes how straight to the point this show was and don't think it was "rushed" in any way, but that's because I've been watching too much shows that drag out the conflicts and issues to add unnecessary drama.
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, the parallel I was making with A Bride's Story is the "child marriage presented in a wholesome way" thing, not the rain making powers thing.

I know that,you also mentioned how these works were set in specific eras in which child marriage was normal.There is a big difference though.A Bride's Story has a realistic setting,but
The World Is Still Beautiful is a made up fantasy.The idea to "present child marriage in a wholesome way" wasn't something that was driven by setting(like in "Bride's Story") ,it was a clear decision made by author.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
trescaballeros wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
what's the rush to tell us what the issue is? Why can't his actions and dialogue lead us to that point?
Because that will clear out any unnecessary speculation and dilly-dallying? I'm actually glad that it WAS spelled out. Along with the complaint that everything was too fast, I'm glad with both happening because that means there will be no unnecessary dancing around the issue (and the "show don't tell" approach is prone to misinterpretation anyway, so it's not always reliable), and that bodes well for me.. I hate it when other shows do that when it's already obvious to me what really is up.
Yes, but how much does it have to be spelled out? We got something like 2 flashbacks and an explanation. I think his issues were pretty obvious, so there was no need to overdo it. Also "show don't tell" approach doesn't mean obfuscation and you are painting it way too negatively. You can have both approaches in a story.

trescaballeros wrote:

I'm not seeing that. It feels more like Shota-fan service with the whole "I look 10 years old but I'm really 15, so its cool if my naked butt is hanging out." This is similar to the whole "I look like a nine year old goth loli vampire, but in fact I'm 500 years old so its ok if I'm half naked and sexualized." Now this show is certainly not explicit mind you and I fully expect them to keep it tasteful, but to me its definitely teasing that way. I mean just look at the ED. I get that some people like the coupling of older person and very young person (or appears that way), but most of the time I don't care for it. What they do seem to have setup well is that he is obviously highly intelligent, but perhaps emotionally immature in order to match up with Nike's more mature and responsible personality. He's also got a little bit of the bad boy type personality and she the cheerful one, which makes it feel a little shoujo to me.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Ep1&2... kind of

I liked Nike through ep1 and the setting was interesting for a while but I'm pretty surprised at how quickly I got sick of it all. The humour and character reactions are outright awkward. I'm not a big fan self-aware humour unless the series is of no-holds-bared about it like Excel or Neptune, so that bit in the alley actually made me pause it and digest what they said. The last time I had that feeling was with Time and Eternity, and that is one of the rare instances where I seriously wish I had that chunk of my life back.

I got about half way through ep2 when I fully realized it was the humour and character interactions that were getting in the way of me enjoying the setting and story. It's a real shame. But since all that is the issue than a simple summary when the show is over will likely be ok for me.

Dropped.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
I realize this is not the kind of story it is, but I would find it fascinating if the show didn't establish a romance between these leads. It's an arranged marriage, so romance is basically optional. A story about two people coming together to help each other with living their royal lives in the context of marriage without having to make it all romancey would be pretty subversive.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I realize this is not the kind of story it is, but I would find it fascinating if the show didn't establish a romance between these leads. It's an arranged marriage, so romance is basically optional. A story about two people coming together to help each other with living their royal lives in the context of marriage without having to make it all romancey would be pretty subversive.

That would be a freaking miracle. "What?! These two character that have nothing in common who are forced together and who have very different taste in everything do not fall in love in this story? How is that even possible? So unrealistic, next you're gonna tell me teenager are not the best person to pilot the only robot in existence that could save mankind"
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
He's also got a little bit of the bad boy type personality and she the cheerful one, which makes it feel a little shoujo to me.

Um........this IS a shoujo series.

Quote:
It feels more like Shota-fan service with the whole "I look 10 years old but I'm really 15, so its cool if my naked butt is hanging out." This is similar to the whole "I look like a nine year old goth loli vampire, but in fact I'm 500 years old so its ok if I'm half naked and sexualized."

Again, shoujo series so expect fanservice GIRLS would like.

YOU MEN GET PLENTY OF IT so lol, I don't wanna hear it.

Quote:
I realize this is not the kind of story it is, but I would find it fascinating if the show didn't establish a romance between these leads.

I'd drop this like a stone if they did that. >_> SO BORING.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah lets shut up and enjoy some shota, and one who does not act like Honey at that.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
He's also got a little bit of the bad boy type personality and she the cheerful one, which makes it feel a little shoujo to me.

Um........this IS a shoujo series.
Um...that was just an observation not a criticism. I didn't look anything up on this show. I just watched it cold because of the positive reviews. And while the first episode didn't scream shoujo to me, by the end of the second episode it was feeling more like it.

Quote:
Quote:
It feels more like Shota-fan service with the whole "I look 10 years old but I'm really 15, so its cool if my naked butt is hanging out." This is similar to the whole "I look like a nine year old goth loli vampire, but in fact I'm 500 years old so its ok if I'm half naked and sexualized."

Again, shoujo series so expect fanservice GIRLS would like.

YOU MEN GET PLENTY OF IT so lol, I don't wanna hear it.
Um...once again that wasn't my point and I'm not one of those people who complains about shows aimed more towards females either if that's where you are going with your comments. If you read my post completely you'd realize that I don't care for that type of "service" whether its aimed at males or females. I also don't care if you like that kind of service as its your tastes and your business. I was only giving my reaction to the episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
It feels more like Shota-fan service with the whole "I look 10 years old but I'm really 15, so its cool if my naked butt is hanging out." This is similar to the whole "I look like a nine year old goth loli vampire, but in fact I'm 500 years old so its ok if I'm half naked and sexualized." Now this show is certainly not explicit mind you and I fully expect them to keep it tasteful, but to me its definitely teasing that way. I mean just look at the ED.

Though I'm not surprised that people are looking at it that way, I am not. I admit to being startled at that final shot, but unless you're looking for it, there's nothing prurient about it. Not all nudity is sexual, and to me that image is even less so than your typical magical girl transformation with the naked girl in fetal position.

What I think it's trying to symbolize is the King looking out on the fresh morning world totally vulnerable and without all the emotional armor he clads himself in daily. If the images during the credits are his dreams, he's looking at the world with new eyes, affected by the events he's dreamed about, to find that it is indeed beautiful.

The creators probably also said, "If it makes the shota-fans happy, that's fine too." Wink

Now if they ever show us a half-naked King draped over a fully clad Nike's lap, I'll retract what I just said.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 34