• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haikyu!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I guess Hikki bows for no man. Very Happy And I've been fixated on those volleyballs with their subtle hexagon textures all along. Wink

That was just epic. Hitting on all cylinders from start to finish. And the dinner showcased what this series excels at, getting across the emotions in the most visually elegant ways. spoiler[The dispirited staring at all that delicious food, slowly taking a bite, finding it good, their bodies craving more before their spirits can catch up, silently, slowly picking up speed until they're eating ravenously even with their sorrow still evident.] Beautiful.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Gah, that was heartbreaking. I held it together until they started eating, then I started leaking a bit. such a great match.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I hate generic sports anime like this.

You know, spoiler[your team can win. you don't always have to kept losing losing, this is not even the national or national final.]

i want someone to make a sports manga that the team won the national in the first season that can still have drama and then lose in the national next year.

Right now, it looks like the ending just make it to the national. I haven't see any team won the national in any sports anime.
Laptops

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I hate generic sports anime like this.

You know, spoiler[your team can win. you don't always have to kept losing losing, this is not even the national or national final.]

i want someone to make a sports manga that the team won the national in the first season that can still have drama and then lose in the national next year.

Right now, it looks like the ending just make it to the national. I haven't see any team won the national in any sports anime.

Sorry, I just had to make an account because of this post. spoiler[ so you want them to win against a completely experienced team? sorry, but that just seems stupid.] Sure, a lot of sports anime do this, but it just give the main team more time to grow and develop than ever before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
The spoiler[match could have gone either way, it is rather cliché for anime characters to win in the end]. Haikyuu has been awesome so calling it cliché sounds like bait.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

If that happened then then there would be nothing to work towards after. The goal would have already been met and trying to defend a championship doesn't make for as interesting a story.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

If that happened then then there would be nothing to work towards after. The goal would have already been met and trying to defend a championship doesn't make for as interesting a story.

You can still create drama. Defending a championship is more interesting to me. My sports teams(Pats, Red Sox, ect) win championships like every few years, it's interesting to me. Losing is not an interesting story to me. Same as Haikyu, losing is not interesting, the story would be more interesting if they win.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
But if they loose you get to see them pick themselves up and grow as character and players. I would like to see a series where the main team is defending a championship but I wouldn't want them to be a completely new team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
But if they loose you get to see them pick themselves up and grow as character and players. I would like to see a series where the main team is defending a championship but I wouldn't want them to be a completely new team.

Exactly.

It would be much harder to write an interesting story after having already won. It'd be like, "We're already the best but how do we get even better?" It's just not as engaging. The agony of defeat makes for good drama.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

It would be much harder to write an interesting story after having already won. It'd be like, "We're already the best but how do we get even better?" It's just not as engaging. The agony of defeat makes for good drama.

Well, i'd appreciate a series were the reigning champions had to defend their title against the up-and-coming teams for once. That would be an interesting change of perspective and i'm sure you could fit plenty of drama into it.

But as things are, Haikyuu!! is not that kind of anime, but yet another "the underdogs working their way up to the top" story which is handled much better than in a lot of similar shows, though.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Well, i'd appreciate a series were the reigning champions had to defend their title against the up-and-coming teams for once. That would be an interesting change of perspective and i'm sure you could fit plenty of drama into it.

Okay, sure, but my main point is that it's HARD to write something interesting from that perspective. It's much easier to make those "up-and-coming teams" the main characters and the defending champions the rivals that must be overcome.

One of the main themes of these kinds of sports series is seishun (youth). It's easier to relate to the characters if they are underdogs who develop and improve themselves over the span of the series. Seishun, especially when it comes to sports series, is all about having experiences that help make the characters stronger. It's hard to have that when the characters are already the strongest. It's kind of like how in shoujo series the main couples never have that completely happy ending from the get-go. And you have to remember that the main target audience for most sports series is teenagers. The majority of teenagers probably don't succeed on the first try. If the target audience can't relate to the characters in the story in some way then it's going to be boring and uninteresting, and the series is going to bomb.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

One of the main themes of these kinds of sports series is seishun (youth). It's easier to relate to the characters if they are underdogs who develop and improve themselves over the span of the series. Seishun, especially when it comes to sports series, is all about having experiences that help make the characters stronger.

Well yeah, i wasn't even replying to your post especially, all i've been saying is that i would love to see a series like that since i'm not a 12 year old boy and pretty tired of "seishun" as a theme...i'm aware that shows like Haikyuu!! are aimed at teenagers (and BL fangirls... Wink ), but it would still be nice to have a sports series for adults for once since "making experiences" or "growing stronger" doesn't stop after graduating from High School all of a sudden...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Well yeah, i wasn't even replying to your post especially, all i've been saying is that i would love to see a series like that since i'm not a 12 year old boy and pretty tired of "seishun" as a theme...i'm aware that shows like Haikyuu!! are aimed at teenagers (and BL fangirls... Wink ), but it would still be nice to have a sports series for adults for once since "making experiences" or "growing stronger" doesn't stop after graduating from High School all of a sudden...

Just for the record, I'm not saying that no one wants to see something like that. I'm just saying that it's not easy to write and keep an attentive audience if a series were going to take on that perspective, and that's probably the main reason why there hasn't been any series like that before. I think something like this would work more as a side story than a main story.

Slightly OT, but with KuroBas over and (spoiler for the ending of the series) spoiler[Seirin winning the Winter Cup, I wouldn't be surprised if they started making side stories about Rakuzan and the other teams.]

And just as a thought, the first Rocky movie is so great because Rocky loses. I think most people will agree that the Rocky movies weren't very good after the first two when Rocky was trying to defend his championship.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
You know Slam Dunk made to the national in first year, it was one of the most popular sports anime.

Captain Tsubasa is also one of the most popular anime. Team Nankatsu SC won many championships.

It maybe harder to write in your opinion, but OP characters may make your manga more popular. Same with Kuroko no Basuke have alot of OP characters, the main team didn't make it to the national because of injury, not skill.

People want to see winning, no losing. If you can still create drama during all the winning, it will make the manga more popular.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
You know Slam Dunk made to the national in first year, it was one of the most popular sports anime.

spoiler[And Shohoku lost in the end.] That's what makes it so great. I would've been happy for them regardless of the result, but I think it evokes that much more emotion spoiler[because they lost.]

Sure, people want to see winning, but only after having to overcome obstacles, which in most cases will include defeat. It's just more rewarding that way when you finally reach your goal after going through such hardships.

By having the main team lose, it also lengthens the series, which is good for publishers when they've got a popular series on their hands.

I'm not saying you can't have a series with a winning team, but the formula just doesn't work as well as one where the main team loses first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 23