• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magatsu Wahrheit -Zurest- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote

Magatsu Wahrheit -Zurest- (TV)

Plot Summary: Leokadio and Inimael live in the Wahrheit Empire, which is in the process of relocating its capital. Inumael works a carrier thinking of the beloved sister he left in his hometown, while Leokadio is naive young soldier dreaming of his future career.

Meanwhile the empire has been destroying many creatures. It is predicted that this will lead to the return of the "light" that released ferocious monsters into the world the last time it appeared. Inumael and Leokadio are oblivious to this and to each other, until a smuggling incident brings them together and changes the course of history.
----------------------------------

Key art looks decent, like it's early industrial European influenced. Might check it out after I review and catch up on other stuff.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
A "This Week in Anime" column was done around episode 7 - November 24 2020 - and I thought they did a good job of describing this show. To quote their introduction:

"The steampunk tale of intrigue slipped under the radar for Daily Streaming this season. Nick and Steve check in on the mobage adaptation about two guys on the opposite sides of war filled with political conspiracy and mutants?! "

Stated that it is based on a mobile MMORPG game.

Link to that column here on the site:
animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2020-11-24/.166674

Streaming on Funimation as of now.

I think it has been a good but not great show so far. It has gotten a bit darker than I like in spots, and I think I need a scorecard to keep track of the twists. There's lots going on.

In the first ep, there's an empire with political problems, monsters bothering outlying provinces, a military that seems not to care too much, devices that are pretty magical, smugglers out to make a buck hauling illegal weapons, and a weird disease hurting people. And that's just the first ep.

Later, there's at least one mad scientist spoiler[ with a nasty research program], and an ancient lost spoiler[set of subway tunnels] that isn't a really big secret, though nobody seems to know much about it or care. So maybe it's just No Big Deal. Surprised

Example of darkness spoiler: spoiler[ In a flashback, we get told that one character had killed 20 prostitutes, Jack the Ripper style, so he could frame somebody else. Admittedly, that person wasn't very nice either.] I skipped a couple of eps after that. Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping the two main characters come to some good end.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I remain hopefully optimistic- though the latest plot events regarding Lucario are beyond ridiculous; just in one episode, he went from spoiler[unwilling smuggler ally to willing teammate of Irma to suspect to prisoner to potential jailbreak.]

Come on guys, pace yourselves.

But what keeps the show going is as usual Immaneal.... did they mean Emanuel?... and his schtick of "doing the right thing as reluctantly as possible. Eventually. Usually events force his hand or he stumbles over some fortunate bit of luck."

As I said in that Anime Weekly discusion, the guy is Terry Pratchett's Rincewind just without the Wizzard hat. And he's a bit more useful though I really don't understand how exactly that's possible.

His known skill? Driving a truck.
Only thing he hasn't done since becoming a fugitive? Driving a truck.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I started off liking this show but as it has gone on, my enjoyment is rapidly dwindling. They just continue to throw out more exposition... prophecies, tablets, cataclysmic light, new factions, blah, blah, blah. How about sticking to one or two plot strands? It's all becoming a bit of a mess. And they did my most hated dialogue thing so often, I started yelling at the screen, at one point.

It's that thing where one character will say something like say ,"cataclysmic light" and then another character will repeat it back as a question: "Cataclysmic light?" This tends to happen during exposition heavy scenes. It's like the (bad) writers don't want a character talking in a big paragraph of information so this is their way of breaking up the exposition so it seems like characters are having a dialogue, but really aren't.

"The prophecy says the city will be hit with a death ray."

"Death ray?"

"Yes, a destructive weapon made by the Sons of Anarchy."

"Sons of Anarchy?"

"A vile group that formed in Wallawalla Province."

"Wallawalla Province?"

And so it goes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a show suffering from an excess of plot. I wonder if their focused story got derailed by a need to lead into the game's setting or something
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1