• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baby Steps (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
wow, animation quality took a nose dive this episode
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

What a spoiler[win, he won from instinctively putting his racket in front of his face to block a risky move by his opponent and just happened to hit it too far for it to be returned]. He is starting to think a bit more beyond just a lot of the technicalities, good to see him think more tactically.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

A day ofspoiler[ mental training and Eiichiro improves heaps], he had the spoiler[spectators shocked]. I liked that Mike guy, he seemed to be having fun messing around a bit, but he still knew what he was talking about.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I am surprisingly hooked on this show.
Getting a framework of Eiichiro's abilities, has led to a believable level of progress in a year's time. Someone with his eyesight, level of study/thinking, and dedication could become scarily good in a year, in most any sport.

The main hurdles as always are mental.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (final)

It is done, but there will be a second season, and I am kind of looking forward to it. This has not been the best current airing sports anime, that honor belongs to Haikyuu (the last episode of which I am watching after this), but that is unfair. Baby Steps is not flashy, character models look off and pacing it does lag a bit terms of pace, but it is still rather fun and informative, I think is rather realistic. While second fiddle, it does do some things that are missing from Haikyuu and the two complement each other pretty well. I do have to note that having watched all of a certain road racer anime, this was much easier to watch.

I like him and Natsu, a date episode was a good thing to finish off with, as is the promise of spoiler[him going to America for a trip], I really want to see that. For a rating of the series, I give it a Decent, there were times I was shrugged a little that it would be a bit boring, but I did not lose my time watching it, I think it just propped itself up from So-so.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Hmm, this series is not linked to on the Series Discussion Index.

Not bad first episode back, we got right into the institution of him on the trip. I do have the thought that everyone is able to speak Japanese a little odd, but I guess that I will instead assume that it is him who is speaking English or something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
I like it so far as this is my favorite arc and they introduced quite a bit of characters including spoiler[Marica]. We'll see how much Eiichiro will improve from here though as he has yet to show all of his potential in America.

Some spoiler[pro players like Alex] should really help his training quite a bit!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
A solid start to the new season.

Playing such high-level opponents is going to be a huge boon for him. What he needs now more than anything else is experience at playing against powerful yet skilled opponents. If he learns how to hold his own against pros he'll have the knowledge to win against amateurs.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I do have the thought that everyone is able to speak Japanese a little odd, but I guess that I will instead assume that it is him who is speaking English or something.

That's what I thought too. He's a straight-A student so maybe he knows enough English to get by.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
It is shocking how easily I came back into this show within a few minutes of the newest episode.

Pleasant entertainment for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

Good seeing that some parts like the OP and ED of season 1 are finally having relevance now, especially thespoiler[ series mantra of "Believe in yourself]".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Alex is practically writing the OP with his homilies. Wink Do these things carry more weight when spoken in English?

Last episode seemed like the animation had a bit more polish than I remember, but this one seems back to the usual level, although not as wonky as some episodes got last season. The OP is greatly improved though, I think.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope spoiler[Eiichiro doesn't go on another losing streak like that, although he did manage to break it at long last. Welp, this is definitely a warm-up for events to come soon. America's a tough world for new people so he'll have to adapt.]

I think his chemistry with the others especially Marcia so far is quite interesting. Kinda curious to see when Natsu will make her on-screen debut this season too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

Don't get too into thinking that Maruo's chemistry spoiler[with Marcia is great, she is apparently only 13]. Perhaps he has not seen spoiler[that many young foreigners]? Best part was seeing spoiler[two characters looking for the top to evolve in a game].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
I think a good moral for this week's episode would be:

spoiler[NEVER underestimate the book man!]
No but seriously, good to see that Eiichiro is picking up the game here after taking a lot of losses previously.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 4:

Imo, the win for spoiler[Eiirchirou was more like a fluke considering that Alex's last hit was out of bounds. Now, I do give him a lot of credit for playing even with a leg cramp though. I mean, risky but the guy has guts.]

I want to see a rematch between them someday too.

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5