• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brynhildr in the Darkness (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So what's the difference between spoiler[her being melted from using her power to much and being melted from being ejected? That makes it really unclear if she could survive from both. If she could I guess the guys at the lab must of have fudged up. Because they have a witch that can't die even if they ejected her.] ALSO if spoiler[her body melts wouldn't the that eject button come off of her? That's how the tracking device came off before.]

Either way that's a rather convenient loophole.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
At least it's over now. We will have to enjoy sadistic mayhem elsewhere now. At least until the next season arrives.

Whatever became of the evil ring-of-chairs-evil-guys? I suppose they will just fold their tent and go home. There are probably a few dozen more witches in captivity but I guess we don't have to think about them anymore.

Bleah. Feel-good anime it ain't.
junmaedaisjesus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Um... yeah. This anime was particularly awful. And it was shaping up to be a lot better from the premise. Well, they can't all be gems, I guess. spoiler[And I'm happy Kazumi lived]
dlm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
So what's the difference between spoiler[her being melted from using her power to much and being melted from being ejected? That makes it really unclear if she could survive from both. If she could I guess the guys at the lab must of have fudged up. Because they have a witch that can't die even if they ejected her.] ALSO if spoiler[her body melts wouldn't the that eject button come off of her? That's how the tracking device came off before.]

No spoilers because CONJECTURE

From what I assume, speaking of being ejected, the user's magic ability is whatever is inside the container. When one is "ejected" that is when the container is opened.

spoiler[Her magic ability was regeneration. As long as the container stayed sealed, she should be good to go to regenerate even if there was almost nothing left. When she was melted down, she wasn't ejected yet so she was still good to go. Because her essence is inside the creature (similar to Soul Gems) then she won't die. I guess. I get hazy here because how can she survive in a mostly-melted state? Unless that is a required secondary power for regeneration.... except she ran out of magic (or whatever the in-universe explanation is) so... I don't know?]

So basically it's like PMMM but not as depressingly dark. And Neko can't time travel, as far as we know.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that felt really rushed and there wasn't much of a climactic fight scene. Yea they did show last episode spoiler[Hatsuna's neck looking like it was regenerating. So she revived Katsumi, but it feels really like a giant gap there because they didn't show it]. The last 3 or 4 episodes were just rushed and they obviously didn't have the time to show everything from the manga. The show was ok for me until the last episodes and then I just got irritated with it. I haven't made up my mind whether to give this a So-so or Not really good grade, but I'm leaning towards the later.

leatherhead333 wrote:

I think being ejected spoiler[releases the alien (?) in her neck which means the melting is not irreversible]. Whereas, overusing spoiler[her power melts the body, but doesn't stop the body from regenerating once she stops using the power for healing because the alien hasn't been ejected].

The eject button spoiler[doesn't come off. The tracking device that's screwed on depresses the button and the ejection of the harness pops the tracking device off. Also I think (I'm not sure on this one) the tracking device on Hatsune was destroyed by Valkyria's first attack].
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
wasn't the best ending, but I had fun with this. Although it made for some serious mood whiplash, I liked the humor this show provided. I hope this does well enough, as I'd like to see more
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
I'm impressed that they were able to cover all of the major important plot points from the manga in one episode. Especially since they shoved 20+ chapters into this episode! Although 2 of my favorite scenes from the manga that would have been in this episode were cut...at least we didn't have an anime original ending!

I enjoyed the series, and it is a good adaption of the manga, or at least as good as it could be when they tried to put 100 or so chapters in 13 episodes.

I'm mostly thankful for the series interesting me enough to want to read the manga, which was a definitely positive way to spend some of my free time. The manga is fantastic!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

*watching the end of episode*
"I can't be happy about this, spoiler[after all Kazumi died]."
*spoiler[Kazumi is alive]*
"Wait, how spoiler[did this happen? And how did Hatsuna.......] oh that explains it."

Well spoiler[Kazumi survives] so I am happy with that, but all the exposition, characters just standing around while something is happening, and the spoiler[villain suddenly showing protective feelings out of nowhere], kind of makes it hard. Perhaps they would have done better with an extra episode so they could take their time and not make it feel so cheated, although at 13 episodes they probably fought to do that. At least they could have given a bit more insight into the villain's perspective like thatspoiler[ he was actually touched by Mako's dedication, something going on behind the scenes of his actions so that it would make sense what he did].

The final episode made it feel like things came out of nowhere which cheapened earlier parts of the show that. Just like the second OP which felt kind of pointless as what they did with the first was good. There was some good momentum earlier, and I am pretty sure the atmosphere was better. I rate it Good, and say that it did have a chance at actually being much better, the potential was there. Apposed to a number of complaints Kazumi was the better character.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Looks like some people really, really want to hate this series... me though, I'm willing to give it a Decent, even if the last couple of episodes were clearly rushed as all hell. Reading the comments, it looks like there were a few bits from the manga that really should've been included; it seems as though it might've been wiser to compress some of the earlier stuff instead.

I didn't realize how attached I was to spoiler[Kazumi] until spoiler[Valkyria took her out]. So that was depressing. I'm incredibly glad spoiler[she survived], even if it was a borderline deus ex machina. (Ditto the spoiler[escaping the black hole] thing - although I'm willing to buy that if she could spoiler[manipulate gravity to that extent], it's not unreasonable that she could also spoiler[protect herself from it.])

I'd like to see a second series, if only because there are a hell of a lot of loose ends. Whether that happens or not though, it sure beats the hell out of Elfen Lied. Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
That last scene really threw me for loop as to how spoiler[two supposedly dead girls could still be alive] That's kind of a stretch there, it was a while before what had to have happened occurred to me. They really need to add one or two simple scenes to that episode on the BD for clarification's sake.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote
must have been one hell of an ordeal for Hatsuna. I wonder if spoiler[reviving a person who was cut in half makes reviving herself take longer than it might have after reviving Murakami]. and what exactly do you do with your time when waiting for spoiler[a puddle of goo to reshape itself into a human being ]?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
...and what exactly do you do with your time when waiting for spoiler[a puddle of goo to reshape itself into a human being ]?

I'm just starting to read the manga out of curiosity, but Yttrbio who seems to up on it did say a few posts back that spoiler[ Kazumi then lugs her (Hatsuna) melted body around in a sack]. So I guess that's what you do when you have some time on your hands.

So far what I'm reading in the manga is more detailed and does give explanations for some stuff. For example, I was wondering in the beginning of the anime why spoiler[slice and dice/time skip gal didn't have a team backing her up]? Manga Spoilers: spoiler[It seems that Mr. Evil was trying to keep things secret from shadowy organization dudes that a bunch of witches got loose, so he didn't want things to leak out and seemed to be trusting stuff to his right hand man who later gets his memories messed with by Nanami]. It isn't great stuff so far but there is more info then what the anime could contain. I'll probably read up to where the anime ended just to compare.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
I started to read the manga too. I just hope it doesn't lose its shit like Elfen Lied's manga did in its end game.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to rate this show Good. I enjoyed it all the way through, flaws and all and I liked the characters. I don't really care that it was cheesy and convenient how it all worked out in the end, I'm just glad that spoiler[everyone didn't die.]

I'll buy this if it gets licensed in NA and hell if the manga gets licensed here I might check that out, too.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm going to rate this show Good. I enjoyed it all the way through, flaws and all and I liked the characters. I don't really care that it was cheesy and convenient how it all worked out in the end, I'm just glad that spoiler[everyone didn't die.]

I'm in pretty much the same position on this at the risk of damning with faint praise. The premise sucks and the so-called science was face palm-city but somehow it goaded me into watching to root for the good guys anyway. That's something, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21