• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madoka Magica Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Currently Puella Magi Madoka Magica: A Different Story (manga#15921) is not connected to the anime series or other manga. To my knowledge, it's an alternate re-telling of the TV series from Kyoko/Mami's perspective or a prequel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
From what I've gleaned from the Madoka Wikia, it seems that it's both a prequel and an alternate storyline. It's a prequel in that it takes place before the TV series, but it diverges from the events of the TV series, making it an alternate storyline. It's actually based on a Drama CD, but it seems that the Drama CD easily takes place during the timeline of the anime (referred to as "Timeline 5" on the wikia).

Without having read it myself yet, I'd recommend it be listed simply as "related to" the anime for the moment. It appears to cover the events of the anime, so it can't really be listed as a prequel, but it's not completely a re-telling, and given the nature of the series, "alternate re-tellings" could very well be canon to the core title.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Linked as "related to" for now; additional details welcomed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1