• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Soul Eater Not! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Conversely though, Liz and Patty stayed pretty one-note throughout all 51 episodes of the original series so I guess development isn't guaranteed.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
Conversely though, Liz and Patty stayed pretty one-note throughout all 51 episodes of the original series so I guess development isn't guaranteed.

That's true....though unlike Tsubaki and Soul, they were kinda used mostly as comic relief.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
That's true....though unlike Tsubaki and Soul, they were kinda used mostly as comic relief.

Also, their development occurred *before* the start of Soul Eater. When you look at what they were like before they met Death the Kid (as shown in a flashback) and afterwards, it's clear that they had changed considerably.

And Patty was freaking awesome. Every time I see the Super Exam episode where she makes that giraffe... "It's a giraffe!" (snaps its neck). LOL.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Clarste wrote:

Also they were pretty interesting characters to begin with. Violent street urchins tamed and put on a leash by an OCD shinigami who needs more counseling than they do. One with the brain of a 4 year old too dumb to be afraid of anything and one oddly mature and serious but afraid of ghosts. And they turn out to be pretty cute girls with their own fan base. More than a few of them have posted they wanted to see more of L & P. Edit: spoiler[see post above. Wink]

So the show has different types of characters. That's supposed to be a flaw?
Bolaum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

Also, their development occurred *before* the start of Soul Eater. When you look at what they were like before they met Death the Kid (as shown in a flashback) and afterwards, it's clear that they had changed considerably.

And Patty was freaking awesome. Every time I see the Super Exam episode where she makes that giraffe... "It's a giraffe!" (snaps its neck). LOL.

Haha I loved that episode. Another episode that I loved was when they played basketball and Maka had to go out with her father. I loved her reaction.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Clarste wrote:

Also they were pretty interesting characters to begin with. Violent street urchins tamed and put on a leash by an OCD shinigami who needs more counseling than they do. One with the brain of a 4 year old too dumb to be afraid of anything and one oddly mature and serious but afraid of ghosts. And they turn out to be pretty cute girls with their own fan base. More than a few of them have posted they wanted to see more of L & P. Edit: spoiler[see post above. Wink]

So the show has different types of characters. That's supposed to be a flaw?

Hell no (I know you didn't mean it). Thats actually one of those things I really enjoy in Soul Eater.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
One of the things that turned me off Soul Eater years ago was how one-note the characters were. That's why I didn't give it a full chance 'till it aired on Toonami (& I still don't like Black Star). But a shonen action series has the benefit of distracting the viewer from the more annoying character traits through the action itself. There is also more room for character development in action than in comedy. Patty was funny, but as a comic relief character she never had the chance to develop, and seeing her act so damn stupid in serious fight scenes was annoying.

This show deserves a chance to teach us about Anya and Meme, give 'em some depth so that I actually care about them as I do the MC. Having one-note main supporting characters in any series gets old really quickly.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I think the most impatient thing to remember is that Soul's VA got paid nothing for this episode lol
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I think the most impatient thing to remember is that Soul's VA got paid nothing for this episode lol

:'(
I was sad. I really love his voice. I hope we get to hear Kid as well in future eps.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
When I eventually got around to Soul Eater, it was already completely dubbed, so that's the language I watched it in. so watching NOT and hearing the original characters in Japanese was an interesting experience
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

There are two things i absouletly hate in female anime characters.
Rich girls and tsunderes....no ESPECIALLY tsunderes. They can all go to hell!

....................So why do i find myself absouletly adoring Anya so much? ;-;
It's really refreshing to see a character like this that is not only a really good worker but only wants to live a normal lifestyle with no stuck up adult dictating her life. And it totally works for this shows setting/humor.

And that "perv" line melted any form of resistance i had........just..........oh god can this girl get any more adorable???!!!

........I don't like this. That's two shows so far that have literally broken down my natural defenses. I'm getting soft Crying or Very sad

Needless to say this show is innocently cute and you can't ask for much more than that Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
....................So why do i find myself absouletly adoring Anya so much? ;-;

Well, perhaps she really isn't a tsundere -- just acting like one. And rich girls don't often have to live on a meager allowance like that so she really isn't that either.

Well it does look like we have a threesome show here and all very light hearted. I don't mind but if they do build up to a life-and-death struggle it sure will be a contrast to what we are seeing now.

That housekeeper is a piece of work.

PS: My spell auto-correct keeps changing "tsundere" into "thunder." How annoying.
Bolaum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
I've been reading heavy and dark stuffs this whole week (like Berserk) so something like SE:NOT really helps me Laughing

About the episode: I never thought I'd enjoy a slice of life anime like I'm right now. It was good to see more about Anya and if it does like it did in the original Soul Eater (first episode: Maka and Soul. Second episode: Black Star and Tsubaki. Third episode: Kid, Liz and Patty) then the next episode will be about Meme.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice spoiler[fake-out] re: the identity of the spoiler[Dorm Witch].

I love the spoiler[Loli in Animal Pajamas] trope so this was a good eppie for me. Loved the spoiler["fortune" she read] for Anya.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, their spoiler[dorm manager is pretty...eh, strange? The episode was cute though especially with Anya. Then again, I can't forget the other girls in their adorable maid outfits while working Cool]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel sorry for the girls having to put up with such a crazy housekeeping bitch every night. o_O

And the spoiler[bully] pissed me off too. >:I Tsugumi, why did you give in!? I liked seeing the ramune though. It doesn't seem to be as common in anime compared to other food and drink. I also finally tried taiyaki recently. I don't like the bean paste ones but the pudding ones are good. :3

It looks like Anya is sick of living the ojou-sama life and wants one where she can actually do things like a normal girl.

HaruhiToy wrote:
PS: My spell auto-correct keeps changing "tsundere" into "thunder." How annoying.

ROFL. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9