• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knights of Sidonia (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
dating on Sidonia sure is hazardous to ones health
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's always a tough choice. There's been 8 volumes released in the USA by Vertical with another 3 more due out this year. Meanwhile the anime is currently slated for 12 episodes. I expect that unless the anime completely bombs that they will release another 12 like in the fall. 11 volumes plus its still ongoing in Japan. I'm not sure they are going to be able to cover it all given the episode count. If it was me I'd probably watch the anime first, because I expect there to be more detail in the manga. After the anime is over if I liked it enough then I'd pick up the manga which might feel fresher because of added detail that wasn't in the anime. But that's me. If I like the anime I'll hold off on picking up the manga till next year.
Sounds like a good plan.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
dating on Sidonia sure is hazardous to ones health

Cloning, never leave home without doing it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

So we spoiler[already know the outcome of the fight before watching it] next week? Well it was kind of obvious with spoiler[the risen death flags]. My guess is that white haired guy spoiler[did something for glory that put Shizuka in trouble so Nagate had to act risky to try and save her and got criticised for it.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate harem stuff, spoiler[the scene at the Bathysphere was really funny!] I also find it kind of funny that Tanikaze is completely oblivious to the bevy of jealous girls gathering aroind him.

Holy Crap spoiler[that ending! If it was supposed to make us just as confused and upset as Tanikaze, it did a good job. The subs on my screen blinkered out at the end of the episode, so I missed much of the interview with White Haired Rival on the news show. Did they say only one person survived the battle?! If so, how are white hair and Tanikaze both still alive? I must've missed something important]

Random question: why would our space pilots wear *swords on their uniforms*? Someone pointed it out to me during the episode.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kunato was saying that spoiler[of the 29 gauna that made up the hive mind that was approaching Sidonia, 1 managed to escape due to Tanikaze failing to kill it in time and his, Kunato, lack of proper leadership in the situation.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks, getchman!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[good god Kunato such a huge asshole! all that bullshit due to his hurt pride.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, knew never to trust spoiler[Kunato] in this show. Glad to see Nagate get back up and fight though with his resolve. This should be exciting and another chance for him to shine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that the people she's letting "leave" will end up as either Soylent Green, or Gauna Chow.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
People have said this before but man this show has brilliant atmosphere.Some of the jazzy additions to the score remind a bit Cecil Taylor's music.It carries that same suffocating and aggressive atmosphere.Though CG is often an unfortunate choice for the show,some of the visuals also look splendid.The action scenes use a lot of extreme close ups and slow motion,which automatically makes them a bit more personal.That is why I liked last week's decision to spoiler[cut off the battle with Gaunas.They have decided to tell a story through main character's POV,so that decision makes sense.They wouldn't be able to make us experience his confused state of mind ,if we knew the details of prior events. ]
One thing I am not clear on is our main character.I don't understand why he doesn't plan on spoiler[blaming Kunato.That man is danger to everyone under his command as solider and a pilot,simply revealing all of the information would be necessary course of action.]Or perhaps he can request to be transferred to another team or something.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Ok, this bugs me a little bit but spoiler[Kunato] is willing to risk his life, spoiler[get other pilots killed, endanger everyone aboard Sidonia (perhaps the last refuge of humanity), because Tanikaze got to fly the "special" frame]? Isn't that a little much? And I say it because I haven't seen enough development of spoiler[Kunato] to sort of justify this extremism. I just wish there was a little more insight into his psyche to explain all of this. I mean no one is going to sing his praises if there isn't anyone left around. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

danilo07 wrote:
One thing I am not clear on is our main character.I don't understand why he doesn't plan on spoiler[blaming Kunato.That man is danger to everyone under his command as solider and a pilot,simply revealing all of the information would be necessary course of action.]Or perhaps he can request to be transferred to another team or something.
I think its that Tanikaze is aware that he is considered an outsider and some kind of genetic freak. Everyone around him photosynthesizes and he eats like a horse. Its probably like some modern human looking at a neanderthal and calling him a caveman. I believe that Tanikaze doesn't expect to get support if he accuses someone from spoiler[a prominent family like Kunato]. There's also probably a lack of socialization and understanding what his options are in such a situation. Tanikaze wasn't even aware of the belt harnesses or how to use them. The only thing he knows and has been trained to do is pilot a frame and fight Gauna. Rules, regulations and human politics are outside his realm of experience.

They certainly haven't dialed back the excitement much from the beginning and they have managed to keep, for me at least, strong momentum from episode to episode. This and Ping-Pong are still the shows I look forward to every week.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Ok, this bugs me a little bit but spoiler[Kunato] is willing to risk his life, spoiler[get other pilots killed, endanger everyone aboard Sidonia (perhaps the last refuge of humanity), because Tanikaze got to fly the "special" frame]? Isn't that a little much? And I say it because I haven't seen enough development of spoiler[Kunato] to sort of justify this extremism. I just wish there was a little more insight into his psyche to explain all of this. I mean no one is going to sing his praises if there isn't anyone left around. Its like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I don't think the situation was as bad as you think. Kunato is smart and made a very calculated evil decision. The mission was always expected to be successful, cutting off the tail was just supposed to make it easier.

At the point of failed detonation Kunato requested that they abort the mission while they were flying away from the tail, that way Tanikaze looked bad and he could use his reputation to stop Tanikaze from revealing the truth. He was aware of the fact that the explosions would have alerted the gauna thus making it too difficult to return and try again. After all, the mission was a success even thought they never cut off the tail.

Kunato did not expect Tanikaze to freeze, that was an unexpected benefit because now Tanikaze would get killed but what completely ruined the plan was Hoshijiro going to save him against his orders. That he did not expect. So I don't think he was reckless just evil.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Gah, I'm so pissed. Please tell me spoiler[Kunato] dies in a most horrific fashion at some point!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

What I find quite hard to believe is that it should be very easy spoiler[for him to prove exactly who was to blame]. We are talking about super space level technology where it would be important to spoiler[continuously improve efficiency and update spoiler[training]. It should be no problem for all of the mecha to keep a black box like recording of what was used and happened in the previous mission, all it would take would be for him to say something to prove that indeed he received a transmission from douchebag that was not on the transcript].

I imagine they would all be required tospoiler[ provide a report on their missions], so it should not just be a spoiler[disgusting decision, but a totally stupid one that he was only saved because our main character got knocked unconscious and has not said anything]. And showing clear signs of being a psychopath by still blaming it on Nagate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8