• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Semi Conscious

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Early digipaint shows sometimes used a jumble of different frame rates, and didn't smooth out jagged edges with anti-aliasing. That's why shows like Fruits Basket and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 would look absolutely terrible if blown up to HD.

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is a mostly cel-animated production, i believe. I don't doubt that there's some digital shots used in it, of course, but the number of production cels i've seen (being a collector of cel/sketch art) from that series appears to be roughly equal to that of many other anime from the late 90's period (Nadesico, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun etc..).

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It really sucks when a show was partially animated in digital SD like Inuyasha. I'd LOVE to see that show on Blu-ray, but only the first half would look any good since it was cel-animated and shot on film. The second half was all animated digitally.What about shows like that? Will we still see Inuyasha on Blu-ray? What about the first 200 One Piece episodes?

The entire One Piece TV series is digipaint. The only parts of the One Piece franchise to have been produced with cel animation are the 1998 pilot OVA and the first movie.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It really sucks when a show was partially animated in digital SD like Inuyasha. I'd LOVE to see that show on Blu-ray, but only the first half would look any good since it was cel-animated and shot on film. The second half was all animated digitally.What about shows like that? Will we still see Inuyasha on Blu-ray? What about the first 200 One Piece episodes?

The entire One Piece TV series is digipaint. The only parts of the One Piece franchise to have been produced with cel animation are the 1998 pilot OVA and the first movie.

I know. I'm talking about the first 200 episodes not being released to Blu-ray (they were animated in standard definition).

I am curious why the first movie was cel-animated if it premiered three months after the TV series, which has always been digital. I will say that the early One Piece episodes look great for their age.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who keeps looking at the Australian releases with envy. I took the plunge on Dennou Coil and Kaiba a while back because I don't see any way that those are ever going to get US releases now, and now it looks like Nichijou is going to fall into the same hole. I actually bought a region-free DVD player long long ago, but I have to concur with other comments: the easiest way to do it by far is just to use a PC DVD-ROM drive and find software to handle the region-freeness for you. (The one caveat here is that there may be legal murkiness to such software - moreso than with a physically modified drive, thanks to DMCA concerns).
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I know I got burned when I bought that BD boxset of the Read or Die OVA and R.O.D The TV which I think I payed like 150 dollars for and it looked like crap

still, as a hardcore fan of the franchise there was no way in hell I was NOT going to buy it, if only to send some money it's way if you know what I mean, it's just too bad it doesn't look good
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I personally want to know if the answer on the BD of Eureka Seven was clear for anyone? I was wondering if there was enough of a difference to justify the upgrade, but Justin makes it seem like there is a 'chance' of it being good.

Please someone answer?
Buster D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Justin Sevakis wrote:
Early digipaint shows sometimes used a jumble of different frame rates, and didn't smooth out jagged edges with anti-aliasing. That's why shows like Fruits Basket and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 would look absolutely terrible if blown up to HD.

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is a mostly cel-animated production, i believe. I don't doubt that there's some digital shots used in it, of course, but the number of production cels i've seen (being a collector of cel/sketch art) from that series appears to be roughly equal to that of many other anime from the late 90's period (Nadesico, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun etc..).

Correct. BGC 2040 was cel-animated except for the OP/ED and some effects shots, like other AIC shows of the period.
I'd like to see it get a decent Blu-ray release someday despite its animation not being all that great, but who knows if it will ever happen.

Justin also implied that Captain Tyler's Blu-ray upscale was really bad, but from what I remember, the screenshots looked pretty good for an upscale.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is a mostly cel-animated production, i believe.

Mostly. The OP/ED were VERY jaggy, garish early digipaint, and it's one of those shows that uses different frame rates. It would be impossible to nicely present in HD.

Buster D wrote:
Justin also implied that Captain Tyler's Blu-ray upscale was really bad, but from what I remember, the screenshots looked pretty good for an upscale.

Really? The screenshots I've seen make it look easily as bad as Nuku Nuku.

ShinnFlowen wrote:
I personally want to know if the answer on the BD of Eureka Seven was clear for anyone? I was wondering if there was enough of a difference to justify the upgrade, but Justin makes it seem like there is a 'chance' of it being good.

Street date isn't till 4/22. Maybe someone got theirs early, but until then...

GATSU wrote:
Should be continued with, "which they subsequently destroyed out of spite for being more popular than Bandai Visual USA."

Pretty sure you're kidding, but if you're not, you're wrong. Not the same people involved. BVUSA was mostly the brainchild of a couple of execs, and most of the rest of BV even in Japan thought their efforts ridiculous.

configspace wrote:
There is also another more expensive alternative than just upscaling the final rendered masters and that is to recomposite. That is, take each pre-composite, pre-final-rendered video track from RETAS and then render the tracks in higher resolution, then composite them. Most of the assets are of varying resolution anyways. Character assets/frames are usually scanned in at pretty high resolution. J.C. Staff for example, uses 960x1600 for their characters for TV production, even low budget shows like Twin Angel.

Yes, this is great when possible. Lain looks amazing. What other shows have gotten this treatment?

Mohawk52 wrote:
Working in broadcasting as a Senior Technical Director as I do, it always makes me cringe when people still classify today's HD TV signals as "NTSC or PAL" when both analogue format standards have been dead since 2009 for NTSC and 2011 for PAL. The whole world is now 1080, (soon to be 4000).

Disagreed in that last bit, but anyway... The feature on BD players that does such conversion is listed as "NTSC/PAL conversion" so that's what I put in the article.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
^ I actually never knew that. I was wondering why I was able to play a British (region free) Blu-ray disc in my US player on my US TV without any issues, even if it is for a US film. I was worried about it being PAL.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

...interlaced video is a crime.
If there wasn't any we'd be still watching our entertainment with clacky noisy projectors running large reels of celluloid in front of a very bright light bulb. Laughing

Why would that be? Man has been watching video progressively on electronic devices for decades.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ I actually never knew that. I was wondering why I was able to play a British (region free) Blu-ray disc in my US player on my US TV without any issues, even if it is for a US film. I was worried about it being PAL.

Hi-definition video can be 24 fps (23.976 thanks to the old tv system) or 25 fps. The BBC for instance when it does documentaries it records them in 1080p@25fps. So if you want to see it on an american tv, the tv will need to support 1080p@25fps natively, and the player also (or be able to do a frame rate conversion to 24 fps).

Now most films published in Europe in blu-ray are done at 24 fps (23.976) hence you can watch them without any problems (barring region coding nonsense) on an american tv/player.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
The question about the Blu-ray upscales is one that's been on my mind too. There are several shows I own on DVD (mostly Geneon's) that FUNi has license-rescued and put out on BD, but I never really put much thought into double-dipping for them, because it seemed like content that wasn't either shot on film or native-HD digital wouldn't really look much better than it would with a decent Blu-ray player upscaling the original DVDs. Maybe I'll have to re-think that now, especially with that E7 rescue coming out soon. I have heard that Lain's Blu-ray restoration was gorgeous; I should really try to track down that limited-edition version if there are any sanely-priced copies left out there.

And man, those Australian Kaiba and Dennou Coil releases are severely tempting to me too. I have the HD fansubs squirreled away somewhere, but that seems like the only way I'll ever be able to actually support both those shows, which is still a damn shame.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
jsevakis:
Quote:
Not the same people involved. BVUSA was mostly the brainchild of a couple of execs, and most of the rest of BV even in Japan thought their efforts ridiculous.

They're still entrenched high-level execs with more clout than the people who ran Bandai Entertainment.
neoboy3000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:

Please someone answer?

Funimation licensed the bluray disc release from Japan. Considering what was said in the column and forum about upscaling for TV versus doing it for home release I think we're in better shape. Also have to consider how incredibly acclaimed and popular the series was during its run, and how it is Bones' crown jewel as of date, so I bet they did a nice job with it. I've already pre-ordered the sets because it's my hands-down all time favorite show, so I can post how they look after I get them. Hoping they'll be pretty Smile

PS - Here is a link to the first Japanese box set on Amazon. You can see how nice the set looks, so hopefully it's well done http://www.amazon.com/Psalms-Planets-Eureka-Blu-ray-Import/dp/B001KO4IWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397292440&sr=8-1&keywords=eureka+seven+bluray+box
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven was already released on BluRay in Japan some years ago. If it's the same masters, then we already know how the Japanese release handled the upscaling. It'd be a bit too fast if the new boxes turned out to be 'remasters' , in my opinion.

What instead will be interesting is finding out how Funi's authoring will compare to those once the street date hits...
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
On the subject of Neon Alley, I have wondered what happened to Moribito. Viz announced with the usual fanfare that it had picked up the license after Media Blasters dropped it and began showing Moribito on Neon Alley. Now after the switchover to Hulu it has vanished from sight. When the MB release was still on Crunchyroll, I could point people to a legal stream when I recommended the show. No longer.

Considering that Moribito's author, Uehashi Nahoko, just won the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen award, putting the show back into the vault seems to be missing a valuable marketing opportunity.

The Viz announcement linked above includes this:

“Working with Viz Media is truly a pleasure, and as the group continues to expand Neon Alley, we are pleased to look into our library and make more quality titles available,” comments Mr. Yuma Sakata, President and CEO, Dentsu Entertainment USA.

I wonder if Sakata-san still feels the same way about Viz?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4