• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
oh...shit...
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.[/quote]

Whoa...learn to pull your punches dude! Not saying your wrong or anything, just that you'll start a war with the mass anime public.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

Pretty harsh comparison, dood. I'd gladly watch anything airing on Toonami right now over a Michael Bay "film" any day of the week.
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
For the new schedule:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/82537856899/attack-on-titan-is-coming-may-3rd-at

IGPX is getting cut, everything before then moves down half an hour except for Bleach swapping with Space Dandy.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Holy shit yes!

While it was probably inevitable, I didn't quite expect it this fast since we just got the recent shake up with Soul Eater ending and Black Lagoon joining plus Jack and the confirmation Space Dandy would re-run.

This is pretty fantastic.

Can't wait to see it again now dubbed even if I've also already got my preorder in for the BD. Smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
I thought for sure that it would be announced for Fall. This is quite a surprise.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I do not hate dubs. I love watching my anime dubbed if they are well made.

Do you really want to expose more people to Sentai's shitty dubs? What did Toonami viewers ever did to you to give them this punishment?

There are a few shows Sentai Filmworks has in its library that weren't dubbed in-house, like the Persona 4 anime. Hell, Sentai even acquired shows that used to air on Adult Swim back in the day, like s-CRY-ed and the first season of Big O. I wouldn't mind seeing those on Toonami.

In any case, I wonder what will happen with Space Dandy when new episodes start airing again in July, as Attack on Titan is now occupying its spot.

Best guess? Screw over Bleach, again (Bleach/Shippuden don't get any of their openings now while Space Dandy and Black Lagoon get full openings and endings aired), by swapping Dandy and Bleach.

Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

They aired SAO, nothing could be worst then SAO. SAO also had very little action, to me, so not sure where you are trying to go.

TheGameNinja wrote:
For the new schedule:

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/82537856899/attack-on-titan-is-coming-may-3rd-at

IGPX is getting cut, everything before then moves down half an hour except for Bleach swapping with Space Dandy.

IGPX actually ends this month and won't be running again for a third time.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I thought for sure that it would be announced for Fall. This is quite a surprise.

It fits in nicely considering the first box set will be released around June.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Yay, this is fantastic news! Can't wait! Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Not a huge surprise this got a Toonami pickup. I'll be checking this out for sure.

of course it got one. the worry was that it would have been so long after the series have finished.

Definitely a series i am gonna watch.

now all that is left is for Fairy Tail to also get one as well and my year will be complete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

You do know Toonami is an action cartoon programming block right? It's been this way since it first launched more than 17 years ago.

Also if they aired something like Dennou Coil, it would bomb, especially if it's dialogue-heavy. (I have yet to see the show, so I can't verify this.)

In the entire history of [adult swim], pretty much every single dialogue-heavy anime has bombed. Durarara!! bombed, Casshern Sins bombed, Death Note bombed (Yes, even Death Note...), Neon Genesis Evangelion TV bombed, it's not worth it.

Gits is like the only show that's worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
I envy US so much at this moment......

and I guess they will emit the dub version right? :/

Well what else? Everything Toonami every aired anime-wise has been dubbed in English. And Tom has stated in response to a tumblr question a couple of months ago why they don't air subtitled anything. That question was probably from some stupid purist anyway.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Whoa...learn to pull your punches dude! Not saying your wrong or anything, just that you'll start a war with the mass anime public.

Pull what punches? All I see is a pretentious kid flailing away at nothing.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
First trailers for it started running tonight. I was so expecting this that I forgot that it hadn't actually been announced before tonight. No way it won't be a hit for them, especially if they animation has been fleshed out some (like was promised for the BR/DVD releases).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9