• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
I called it! I can't wait to see twitter explode every week as the episodes air.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
In the entire history of [adult swim], pretty much every single dialogue-heavy anime has bombed. Durarara!! bombed, Casshern Sins bombed, Death Note bombed (Yes, even Death Note...), Neon Genesis Evangelion TV bombed, it's not worth it.

Gits is like the only show that's worked.

Casshern Sins may not have done as well compared to Deadman Wonderland or Samurai 7, but that was back in the early days of the Toonami revival; Bleach was the only consistently good performer back then. I'd also appreciate hard, verifiable numbers for Durarara!!, Death Note, and Evangelion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

Toonami is an action animation block.
Why would they air an unknown slice-of-life anime on Adult Swim late at night? Laughing

Besides, talking about slice of life, many anime fans enjoy shows about nothing but cute girls doing cute things, so mindless entertainment should be the last thing to complain about.

Anyways, this again illustrates that Williams Street doesn't need much lead time between acquisition and air date. It helps that they control a big block of time with flexible schedules.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Not very surprised by this. When I heard Funi got the rights to it was only a matter of time it will find a home on Toonami eventually. I really don't get the hype for it but that won't stop me from re-watching it.
DangerMouse

v1cious wrote:
I thought for sure that it would be announced for Fall. This is quite a surprise.

Yeah, I thought perhaps fall too.

Agent355 wrote:
I called it! I can't wait to see twitter explode every week as the episodes air.

It will be glorious re-living the hype. Smile
Beatdigga

Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

People like you had Moribito air...and subsequently be the biggest bomb on the block ever.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

So I should visit twitter too, huh? I love the tumblr toonami bloggers Anime hyper
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

So I should visit twitter too, huh? I love the tumblr toonami bloggers Anime hyper
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

So I should visit twitter too, huh? I love the tumblr toonami bloggers!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Woah, quadruple post glitch! Anime hyper

I'm curious if they'll air the recap episode. As I recall, it was 14.5 or something and didn't really interfere with the numbering system. And it adds so little to the show, I think it'd be better served just cutting it altogether. ^^;
Zealous6664

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
For all the hate Toonami still gets these days... they've done a lot for anime in The West since it started in the 90's to being on life support near 2008 and up to it's revival and now. Just look at all the stuff they've aired throughout the years up until now even in including Adult Swim's run. Now whether you think Adult Swim and Toonami aren't the same or they are is up for you to decide.

Anyways I'm pretty excited by this news. Attack on Titan fits nicely in the lineup and ratings should do well.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Are you serious? Again, Toonami has almost ALWAYS been about the action and enjoyment aspect of animated series/anime.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
I'm really hyped for this! Woke up and caught a GLIMPSE of the trailer and just HAD to stay up JUST to see it again (didn't have wifi at the time).

Hopefully its granted the Western fanbase it needs + somehow gets Toonami that 11:00 spot.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Woah, quadruple post glitch! Anime hyper

I'm curious if they'll air the recap episode. As I recall, it was 14.5 or something and didn't really interfere with the numbering system. And it adds so little to the show, I think it'd be better served just cutting it altogether. ^^;

Yeah, 13.5, even if it didn't really add anything at all I guess I'm okay with whichever way they do it as I watched the recap. Since it's only one ep a week I could live with the recap if they really want to do it or need to extend the show by that extra week.

spoiler[Even if it is a bit odd that I remember it spended more time recapping the more recent events than the earlier ones.]

Zealous6664 wrote:
For all the hate Toonami still gets these days... they've done a lot for anime in The West since it started in the 90's to being on life support near 2008 and up to it's revival and now. Just look at all the stuff they've aired throughout the years up until now even in including Adult Swim's run. Now whether you think Adult Swim and Toonami aren't the same or they are is up for you to decide.

Anyways I'm pretty excited by this news. Attack on Titan fits nicely in the lineup and ratings should do well.

Yup, Toonami/AS is freaking awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9