• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
in a old saying "and business has just picked up." now toonami add the titans to the line-up.

indeed all titans hype really rather be something to really for to show on it.

in may "release the titans" on toonami.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Called it! I totally knew this was bound to happen!
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Not even watched a single episode of this yet, so can't really voice an opinion, and don't have a tv so won't be seeing it this way.

Good news for you americans though, I'll get round to watching the sub at some point..
MadHi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
I have avoided this anime like the plague just for the sake of the English dub. Finally I'll get to see it in all its English glory.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Interesting that the teaser trailer puts a "TV 14" rating on it (for language and violence)… is that the maximum rating Adult Swim will air, or do they ever go to TV MA?

New Toonami has generally been very good about cutting as little as possible, but I have to wonder how it's going to go over at Turner Broadcast Standards and Practices when they have to shuttle through 22 minutes of "naked female giant eating people alive".
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Black Lagoon is rated TV-MA
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
I have avoided this anime like the plague just for the sake of the English dub. Finally I'll get to see it in all its English glory.

Hopefully there will be some. It should have been relatively sure-fire, given Funimation's reputation, but the dub clips sounded far below Funimation's usual standards. It won't be the worst dub on the programming block but it certainly won't be the best. Sad

I can't say that I'm hyped for McFarland's Folly.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
MadHi wrote:

Hopefully there will be some. It should have been relatively sure-fire, given Funimation's reputation, but the dub clips sounded far below Funimation's usual standards. It won't be the worst dub on the programming block but it certainly won't be the best. Sad

Haha i do hope your joking so far funi has gone way out of there way for this cast McFarland is a very good director{ Eden of the East Blood-C: The Last Dark Evangelion films Fullmetal Alchemist One Piece need i go on?
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
MadHi wrote:

Haha i do hope your joking so far funi has gone way out of there way for this cast McFarland is a very good director{ Eden of the East Blood-C: The Last Dark Evangelion films Fullmetal Alchemist One Piece need i go on?

Someone else not allowed to have a different opinion? Personally I think Mike McFarland is a very overrated ADR Director.

IMO he's never had to truly prove himself. He's always got his pick of the crop (A-List shonen titles or critically acclaimed niche titles with strong storytelling). Give him a mediocre title with unlikable characters & weak plot and it'll be interesting to see how well he does then. Doesn't improve my opinion of him that he constantly plays it safe with lead roles and reuses a lot of the same people in the majority of his projects; most of who are overrated VAs.

Other FUNi ADR Directors have directed some meh shows but still managed to give them some great dubs.
Zealous6664

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Someone else not allowed to have a different opinion? Personally I think Mike McFarland is a very overrated ADR Director.

IMO he's never had to truly prove himself. He's always got his pick of the crop (A-List shonen titles or critically acclaimed niche titles with strong storytelling). Give him a mediocre title with unlikable characters & weak plot and it'll be interesting to see how well he does then. Doesn't improve my opinion of him that he constantly plays it safe with lead roles and reuses a lot of the same people in the majority of his projects; most of who are overrated VAs.

Other FUNi ADR Directors have directed some meh shows but still managed to give them some great dubs.

I love how there's a group of people out there like you who cares about ADR Directors. I've never seen a more passionate group of people in my entire life. It's gotta have subs, it's gotta have a nice dub, it's gotta have the dream team of voice actors/actresses, It's gotta have the best high quality aspect ratio, it's gotta have the right ADR Director. The only group of people I see do this are people that enjoy Anime. I've never seen a random person in a movie shop pick up a foreign movie or show that was ever license and question all of the above.

Having an opinion and critiquing things is fine but when it comes to licensed Anime for some people it's gotta be the most perfect release that of which is the cure to cancer. If it's not there's a huge riot and scorned hatred towards the company. I truly feel sorry for these type of people. Really, people dislike or get upset over most stupidest things I tell ya...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
well, to a certain extent, some of that is important, otherwise, you get Bible Black's dub. I don't think anybody wants that
Zealous6664

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, to a certain extent, some of that is important, otherwise, you get Bible Black's dub. I don't think anybody wants that

Of course not... That's why I said for some people it's gotta be the cure to cancer. There are some great releases out there and then there are some really mediocre dubs. Everything from Sentai to Funimation is at least damn watchable. There are people out there that think some of the decent dubs out there, not the best but decent are the Anti-Christ or in this case on par with Bible Blacks horrible dub. The same group of people overreact and go overboard. They are passionate to find the greatest anime release ever licensed. They are determined to find the lost city of Atlantis. Sorry for the hyperbole but I wouldn't have went on about this if it wasn't true.

Last edited by Zealous6664 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueAlexander93

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Interesting that the teaser trailer puts a "TV 14" rating on it (for language and violence)… is that the maximum rating Adult Swim will air, or do they ever go to TV MA?

New Toonami has generally been very good about cutting as little as possible, but I have to wonder how it's going to go over at Turner Broadcast Standards and Practices when they have to shuttle through 22 minutes of "naked female giant eating people alive".

There are MA-rated programs on Adult Swim (just about every original series of theirs, Deadman Wonderland, Akira, and Black Lagoon air or have aired with an MA rating), and the word "s**t" is allowed (see Rick & Morty, and Black Lagoon, for proof). Jason DeMarco said on his Twitter page, "It will be as "censored" as AKIRA or Dandy or Black lagoon or any other show. (https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/455191263399391232)

Last edited by BlueAlexander93 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This just solidifies Toonami's rule of "Shows that have a ton of action but no substance or intellectual value". In other words we'll never see real masterpieces like Dennou Coil on there (I know, it's never been licensed for some reason, just an example).

In the end, it makes sense. Please the masses, and according to Michael Bay the masses like the violence and that's all.

Oh, sorry, because Bleach, Naruto and Dragon Ball Z (back in the hay day)had sooo much intellectual value.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
MadHi wrote:

Hey i was never saying you can't have an opinion but you say he all ways dose A list ? ok Kodocha Linebarrels of Iron Vexille - 2077 none of those shows were AAA or that good they were meh as you say and? my point was he has never failed as a ADR Director.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9