• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells Its Entire Stake in Square Enix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Why does this even matter? It's not like Square has been just making games on Sony systems. This probably won't even effect anything. Things are going to carry on the same.

Also, could you all just ignore GrilledEelHamatsu. His ramblings read like that of a crazy man. Then he has the audacity to call out console fanboys. Pot calling kettle...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Sony/Columbia Pictures: Hasn't produced a box office hit in 7 years.

I was about to post a bunch of links that prove this completely wrong but then I thought "why would I bother doing that".

Carry on.

Please make sure that you save a goodly sized hunk of this supercilious snark for the preview guide. Laughing

On topic, I wonder if this could lead to an improvement in the SquareEnix-made PC games, especially those from Eidos? I hope so.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Zac wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I was about to post a bunch of links that prove this completely wrong but then I thought "why would I bother doing that".

Carry on.

Please make sure that you save a goodly sized hunk of this supercilious snark for the preview guide. Laughing

On topic, I wonder if this could lead to an improvement in the SquareEnix-made PC games, especially those from Eidos? I hope so.

Refer to my early post, square enix says drm is here to stay so IMO no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Someone is *entirely* too optimistic for their own good. Though I do admit that FFXIV:aRR runs okay on my desktop.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
(Sour grapes and obtuse rambling).

Your post made no sense at all. Sqaure's main IPs were exclusive to Sony platforms for years. It is no longer financially feasible to support Playstation, let alone with exclusive platform licensing deals and content. Sony owned stake to assure all of that.

I've made my point. Sony is in deep financial trouble. And when they go bankrupt in 2 years, you fanboys will see that me and others told you so, mark my words.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Skyfall and The Amazing Spiderman, both from 2012, together earned over $500 million at the box office in the US alone.

Skyfall earned about $800 million from international box office receipts, and another $100 million or so in disc sales.

But I guess that's not enough to constitute a "hit" in some peoples' minds.

I detect a hint of generic Sony hatred in some of these posts.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Skyfall and The Amazing Spiderman, both from 2012 together earned over $500 million at the box office. I guess they don't qualify somehow.

Well, that's domestic.

Combined they grossed about $2 billion worldwide.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I was adding the international figures when you posted, Zac. The total for Amazing Spiderman is about $800 million including foreign and disc revenues.

Skyfall's total revenues place it ninth all time not adjusting for inflation.

Last edited by yuna49 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rahxephon91

Quote:
Your post made no sense at all. Sqaure's main IPs were exclusive to Sony platforms for years. It is no longer financially feasible to support Playstation, let alone with exclusive platform licensing deals and content. Sony owned stake to assure all of that.
Um are you dense? What made no sense? What was obtuse rambling and sour grapes?

I said the Square has been multiplatform for years now and not solely supporting PlayStation systems. So I'm not sure how this changes anything.

Where's the sour grapes? The only thing obtuse here is you're inability to understand my simple post.

There wasn't the slightest fanboy crap in my post.

Though I did say it's funny that you want call out fanboys when all your posts revolve around Sega and predicting Sony's death. The only fanboy here is you.

Though it's very funny you think Square won't support sony when it has several PS4 projects going.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
GrilledEelHamatsu

Zac wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Carry on.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132049-Sony-Q3-2013-Financials-PC-Division-Will-Be-Sold-PS4-Pushes-Income-Up

The division is doing well but hasn't produced a huge box office hit in years. Meaning, its revenue dropped alot.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I was adding the international figures when you posted, Zac. The total for Amazing Spiderman is about $760 million.

Films can make profit through overseas markets and home vidoe. But when the revenue declines, so does the market viability.

The Smurfs films tanked domestically but have made all their money back overseas.

So 2 divisions have done well?Whoopy Do! That still doesn't change a thing regarding Sony's financial troubles especially their weak cash flow.

I detect, people seem to think that they're too big to fail.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey I'm still waiting for all this Sega to happen that you keep claiming is on it's way.

Which you started saying a few years ago.

Which use to be a console.

Then became a tablet.

And seems to ignore the things Sega is actually doing.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Carry on.
Lol at this point it's better to let the guy rage on with his so called points Laughing
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And.... we're done. That's a wrap people... nothing left to see here.
Can't say I'm too sad if Square-Enix never makes another game. They haven't made anything I liked since FFX.

And yes, I know SONY selling their shares doesn't mean SE is going out of business, but I have this feeling their games are going to keep on sucking even more now.
Avoiding their console and mobile games, I've had a blast with a lot of handheld and PC SE games.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Skyfall and The Amazing Spiderman, both from 2012, together earned over $500 million at the box office in the US alone.

Skyfall earned about $800 million from international box office receipts, and another $100 million or so in disc sales.

But I guess that's not enough to constitute a "hit" in some peoples' minds.

I detect a hint of generic Sony hatred in some of these posts.

And I want you to think about this for a second:

That still wasn't enough. That wasn't even CLOSE to evening Sony out. Despite earning that much, it's still not stabilizing the company at all. That is literally how bad their debts have been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6