• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds A Certain Magical Index Light Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Quote:
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? light novel

Fujino Omori's comedy fantasy follows "a hapless adventurer and a failed goddess, with illustrations by Suzuhito Yasuda." It will ship as part of Yen On's initial launch lineup this winter.

So, without googling it or anything, this is interesting, if for no other reason than light novels are incredibly expensive to translate. With Yen Press creating a new imprint for light novels, and licensing a relatively lengthy, if popular series, this seems to indicate an unusual nod to the viability of translated light novels. I wonder who who's doing the index translation, since IIRC translating a light novels basically requires them to hire someone new. (for either the LN or to cover for someone else)

I have a hunch and it's just that right now that they might hire or recruit or hire one of the translators from baka-tsuki that have worked on index. So far all twenty four volumes of the original index light novel, nine volumes of new testament and the side stories are fan translated. If yen press was smart they really would work out deal with the fan translator, polish up said translations and then publish them.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spark_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding out so much hope that they'll eventually have Durarara or Baccano....
Spark_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm holding out so much hope that they'll eventually have Durarara or Baccano.... or maybe something like Utsuro no Hako? I tried reading that but time loops + not so great fan traslations = I understood very little.
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
ajr wrote:
Quote:
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? light novel

Fujino Omori's comedy fantasy follows "a hapless adventurer and a failed goddess, with illustrations by Suzuhito Yasuda." It will ship as part of Yen On's initial launch lineup this winter.

So, without googling it or anything, this is interesting, if for no other reason than light novels are incredibly expensive to translate. With Yen Press creating a new imprint for light novels, and licensing a relatively lengthy, if popular series, this seems to indicate an unusual nod to the viability of translated light novels. I wonder who who's doing the index translation, since IIRC translating a light novels basically requires them to hire someone new. (for either the LN or to cover for someone else)

I have a hunch and it's just that right now that they might hire or recruit or hire one of the translators from baka-tsuki that have worked on index. So far all twenty four volumes of the original index light novel, nine volumes of new testament, the side stories are fan translated. If yen press was smart they really would work out deal with the fan translator, polish up said translations and then publish them.

I wonder about this though. I agree that this would save a bunch of time so they can focus on editing and polishing it, like JAST did with Steins;Gate. I'm kind of worried though. Could using a tactic like this cause any problems with the original Japanese publishers though? I get the impression the folks back in Japan might not like this, then again I imagine it's very likely that the majority of those who do buy the books ,and hopefully this works out so a new door to LNs can be possibly opened in the West, will have read at least some of the fan-translation before.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Yen Press doesn't censor.

Yen Press doesn't censor inside of the books, yes, but if you look at Omamori Himari: Volume 3's front cover (not from inside the book), it's kinda censored (I think a loli yokai's wearing panties, so instead she's wearing shorts). I might be wrong on this one, so please correct me if that's the case.

Yen Press
Japanese release

Seems the same.
Mai5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw this earlier and was like, "Oh, ok that's cool". Just now noticed Love at 14 listed. I never expected to see that on the list. Shocked The Japanese volumes were too expensive so I never picked them up. Glad I didn't now, I would rather read it in English. Yay!

Thanks again Yen Press! Now all I need is Horimiya!!

Oh yeah, the Pandora Hearts art book is awesome.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap are these guys slow. Apparently they have SAO as well. As in one of the hottest properties around, even in the west.

The first vol. is scheduled for April, and the next is not until August.

So they are on a 2 vol. per schedule for SAO, the tentative timeline for Index might be 15-20 years, and that is assuming the series was finished.

Last edited by CrownKlown on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Spark_ wrote:
.... or maybe something like Utsuro no Hako? I tried reading that but time loops + not so great fan traslations = I understood very little.

I hear it's crap. Cool
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Holy crap are these guys slow. Apparently they have SAO as well. As in one of the hottest properties around, even in the west.

So they are on a 2 vol. per schedule for SAO, the tentatively timeline for Index might be 15-20 years, and that is assuming the series was finished.

Near-late April to August is about 3-4 months in between. If they follow that routine they could go 3-4 novels a year. Really depends on sales and demand I imagine. If results are good I'm sure Yen can pick up the pace if they see it needed. It doesn't seem like they have much present reason to publish more books a year unless more readers throw in their 10-12 bucks so Yen can have the money needed to release them at a faster rate. It'd be cases like these and also one of the major reasons why I chose not to read fan translations.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

So they are on a 2 vol. per schedule for SAO, the tentatively timeline for Index might be 15-20 years, and that is assuming the series was finished.

Can you really blame them though? You have to think of this in terms of putting out a novel series that people have to actually spend money on rather than just in terms of providing hard copy translations of something already written. You can translate a single LN in a month if you're good enough (or a week if you're the Index fan-translator), but it would be stupid releasing a novel each month because the release of the new novel will cut short the cooling off period of the previous one - it'd be a terrible sales decision.

Besides, 2-3 novels a year is pretty logical in terms of novel release dates in the West, it's what people are used to as well. Although, in Index's case, Yen Press should be looking into releasing volume bundles instead of releasing them individually. The early novels are short enough that you could put two or three of them together and it'd be the size of a regular size novel. It'd get the releases out faster and have the possible added marketing advantage of "two/three stories in one book!". Just a potential idea I had, don't know how viable it might be.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Yen Press doesn't censor.

Yen Press doesn't censor inside of the books, yes, but if you look at Omamori Himari: Volume 3's front cover (not from inside the book), it's kinda censored (I think a loli yokai's wearing panties, so instead she's wearing shorts). I might be wrong on this one, so please correct me if that's the case.

Yen Press
Japanese release

Seems the same.

Thank you for correcting me. Smile
Student no.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:

Can you really blame them though? You have to think of this in terms of putting out a novel series that people have to actually spend money on rather than just in terms of providing hard copy translations of something already written. You can translate a single LN in a month if you're good enough (or a week if you're the Index fan-translator), but it would be stupid releasing a novel each month because the release of the new novel will cut short the cooling off period of the previous one - it'd be a terrible sales decision.

Besides, 2-3 novels a year is pretty logical in terms of novel release dates in the West, it's what people are used to as well. Although, in Index's case, Yen Press should be looking into releasing volume bundles instead of releasing them individually. The early novels are short enough that you could put two or three of them together and it'd be the size of a regular size novel. It'd get the releases out faster and have the possible added marketing advantage of "two/three stories in one book!". Just a potential idea I had, don't know how viable it might be.

In this case, maybe bundling the books might be a good idea. In a situation like this, a 2-in-1 edition would be optimistic enough. Keep that at let's say 3 releases a year and Yen could catch up to 24 volumes in about 4 years, or 6 years if kept a two releases a year though.
cosain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for Pandora Hearts! *u*
OH&S

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I would support that idea. They could quickly catch up to the most recent light novels and then have yearly releases once they do, since Kamachi can write 3 Index light novels in a year on top of a lot of other material.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Will purchase every single one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5