• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki is Agitated Over the Latest Ghibli Movie Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everyone's favorite grump is at it again....

Why do I get the feeling this whole thing exaggerates and takes out of context why he really feels the way he does about the poster and everyone will resort to strawman arguments?

RetroPlasmic wrote:
Wow. I never thought I would say this, but Miyazaki is an asshole. Mad A racist one at that.

Like this one for instance?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
reidwyr wrote:
I think some people here are missing the point.

I think he is probably angry at the fact that this poster is nothing more than just the character standing there.

But he's missing the point that the movie pretty much....IS the character standing there. It's not exactly a rollicking adventure like The Secret World of Arietty.
Let's be honest, how much could you put on the posters for Poppy Hill or Whisper of the Heart?
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki can have his opinions, but I don't think he has any right to publicly complain about anything Ghibli-related since he retired from that studio.

But it's nice to see the old man can still find something to complain about Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Dude you're retired now, leave it to the people who actually work there to do their job.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Is this man ever happy?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
There's nothing mysterious about this girl. It's *obvious* that she's an American. Everyone knows that all Americans have blond hair and blue eyes. Sheesh.

> The original novel is by a British author.
>> And is set in Norfolk, England.
>>> So the characters must be American!

But then again, having watched the K-ON! Movie, the point still stands that according to the Japanese, all westerners have blond hair and blue eyes.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah..
Most of you are missing the point here, he obviously wanted both of the main characters on his poster.

There's pretty much nothing going on here there's no flair or personality to this picture telling us what we're gonna expect, i agree with this from an artistic stand point.

These racist comments are pretty freaking stupid.
Although i haven't seen all of Miyazaki's films i have to say Whisper of the Heart was pretty damn american from my perspective.

Remember that song?

Kruszer wrote:
Dude you're retired now, leave it to the people who actually work there to do their job.

http://myanimelist.net/people/1870/Hayao_Miyazaki
I can't see Miyazaki sitting on his ass, ever.
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
If I worked at Ghibli, I'd be mocking up an poster with an even closer picture of her on it, just to see if he bites. Or redraw it in an overtly moe style, and tell him this is the replacement. And then run away quickly.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Yeah, any insight from someone who spent a couple of decades working in the industry (and in this case building up Ghibli from the ground...) should be automatically disregarded as soon as he/she retires.

Logic.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

He's only retired from being a principal director on feature length animations, not from being a cranky old man who still runs the company with an iron fist and complains about "yungins these days".
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
Yeah..
Most of you are missing the point here, he obviously wanted both of the main characters on his poster.

There's pretty much nothing going on here there's no flair or personality to this picture telling us what we're gonna expect, i agree with this from an artistic stand point.

Movie title When Marnie Was There.
Movie poster is a picture of Marnie.

Why would he want both main characters on the poster when a lot of his own movie posters aren't like that either?

Ponyo's poster had no flair or personality. And Sosuke, the main character, wasn't on it.
Princess Mononoke didn't have Ashitaka on it.
Totoro's poster wasn't even of any character in the movie. It was some hybrid prototype.
The Wind Rises didn't have Jiro on it. And it too features a wind-blown girl so you can say it has no personality either.
Howl's Moving Castle only had the castle on it.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I can see the point he might be coming from since perhaps it has always been done in animation studios using blonde girls as characters with exoticism. He may have wanted them to not do something overused/cliche.

Still I don't think we can judge him on this issue since we were not there and perhaps he may have specific reasons why he was agitated over the movie poster.

Although I do see this being the downside of retiring you can no longer influence the direction of future projects.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Go back to bed, Grandpa.
LOL this made my night Anime hyper
Waffitti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The movie's title is When Marnie Was There, so I think what Miyazaki wanted was a wall with MARNIE WOZ ERE grffited onto it or something...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Yeah, any insight from someone who spent a couple of decades working in the industry (and in this case building up Ghibli from the ground...) should be automatically disregarded as soon as he/she retires.

Logic.

No, I'm saying he (Miyazaki) shouldn't give a crap about a job he doesn't do anymore, and enjoy his retirement. Is that not logical? I mean I don't go back to the grocery store I used to work for and rail on the poor kid who now does my former job for trivial things, it's rude and nobody wants someone else to tell them how to do a job they already know how to do well. It's insulting to that person because it says you don't trust their judgement.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5