• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Gets New Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
my guess is going to be reboot of the first series updated younger versions of mighty morphing power rangers we see asain girl as the yellow ranger and black guy as the black rangers, and who's cares about the racism, I just want to see original first power rangers may be with green ranger in it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
If they make it more like the 1st film it could be pretty good. That was a pretty solid kid action movie with some budget and quality put into it. The second one is hot garbage though. Hopefully they won't take that approach.

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
First one was worse, I'd say. At least they had accurate costumes in Turbo. The first movie tried way too hard to superheroize the franchise. Giving them a more muscular, armored outfits, and giving them chest symbols of their coins in the vein of trying to make them look like a superhero chest icon. Even their mech looked completely different. They pretty much abandoned everything about the TV series.

To me that's making it more identical to the show (and not even like tone and important things, just how aesthetically similar the costumes are), not whether or not it's actually a good movie. For stuff that actually matters to whether or not a movie is good, the first film was significantly better imo.
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

Even with that, though, the original Yellow Ranger is kaput.

Thanks for putting that in the best way to say that she died tragically at that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
AeiroWultx wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
They would be quite old to do this wouldn't they?
That didn't stop them before.

Even with that, though, the original Yellow Ranger is kaput, and JYB is now one of the biggest names in anime.

Johnny Yong Bosch came back and did an episode in a......"recent" Power Ranger series though. Operation Overdrive. Along with a few other cast from older series. And I'm pretty sure he was also doing voice acting at the time too (In general). I feel like he still had some power ranger spunk in him. The episodes is called "Once a Ranger" if anyone is wondering.

But yeah. I don't think they're gonna get all of the original cast. You know, Jason, Trini, and Zack. I think they're gonna get the cast that did the Ivan Ooze movie. Rocky, Adam and Aisha. (I didn't mention Tommy, Kimberly and Billy cause weren't they always there from the start?)

Regardless, it's not gonna be Power Ranger without Bulk and Skull (and I guess Skull's nephew Spike. At least I think that was his name).

I'd still say it's more likely the original 5 with younger actors (similar to those recent star trek movies) Still I'm kind of excited for this, it's going to be an interesting experience, on that note I also remember the rumor of a PG-13 Green ranger movie awhile back with Jason David Frank reprising his role. I guess they never went with it
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I heard about this over Twitter, I don't know what else to say about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
...The new film will feature the characters from the original series.

As in the original american cast (or some)? Really?!
I'm torn between being highly skeptical (It's probably just a few of the old Rangers somehow helping out the newer ones or whoever is the Rangers now, which is just totally cliché and lame) and having the kid inside me who LOVED this show being absolutely thrilled!

They said 'characters', not cast. Laughing
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
theNightstar wrote:
I'd still say it's more likely the original 5 with younger actors (similar to those recent star trek movies) Still I'm kind of excited for this, it's going to be an interesting experience, on that note I also remember the rumor of a PG-13 Green ranger movie awhile back with Jason David Frank reprising his role. I guess they never went with it

In some blogs I have been reading. Its somewhat like a reboot. And I'm okay with that. Plus I am glad they skipped on the Green Ranger movie, because I consider the plot hole in how Jason David Frank would have gotten the power coin back to be really confusing. But, it could've been a flashback thing. But JDF himself would look WAY to old to drop kids or even teens suspension of disbelif that he is a teenager. Besides, Austin St. John all the way.

Now reboot wise, I'm not looking for a darker or grimmer story. Sure, have some mature writing in it to please kids and adults. But no Princess Tutu or Madoka stuff. I would like to have some drama in the super hero thing being not only a burdon by a time investor away from soceity, but for each ranger to have deeper backstories and personalities. Along with the villians. I'm okay with a new cast, but it would be cool to have the original cast be brought in as characters with no relation to the power rangers history to just inspire or help the characters. Like for the red ranger to meet ASJ or Rocky while he is nervous on being a leader. But he will see them doing real-life hero type stuff, and he would actually talk with them. Inspiring him as the result.

Suit wise, I actually liked the makeovers in the first movie. It actually looked like armor that would enhance physical durability and deffense. But remove the coin on the chest, and make it less shiny.

Looking for more martial arts fights, since the series after Wild Force has been falling away from that and onto terrible effects. Even super sentai is doing that, STOP IT!

And to answer people how in the hell this could pull off or how this show is still popular. Its that not only power rangers has been mentioned in the mainstream media numerous times (even TMZ, *shiver*). But Lionsgate is a great advertiser along with getting alot of money for investments.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lionsgate intention's on making this a semi annual franchise makes me think this is one of those serious reboots that shows get when they get turned into movies, like Transformers. They might try to cash in on the Twilight and Hunger Games teenage demographic that are under their studio. I think this will be loosely based on the MMPR concept (teenagers fighting aliens) but I heavily doubt they'll keep a lot of the motifs. No dinosaurs, just generic alien vehicles, or a mix like how the Transformers look. I expect the Megazord to be a generic Jaeger-looking thing too. A lot of the stuff is too "Japanese-y" for executives and test audiences to handle, so they'll red pen a lot of it to reach that majority audience.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
As long it has Bulk and Skull.

I still don't understand how people could like Bulk and Skull. I always thought that they were the absolute worst thing about the show when I was a kid.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
synaia wrote:

I still don't understand how people could like Bulk and Skull. I always thought that they were the absolute worst thing about the show when I was a kid.

They were pretty fun when they were police officers and then detectives, and then Power Rangers in Space really cemented their moment especially the last episode of that season.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:

There were the only real thing Power Rangers did right on it's own. The fight footage was all Japanese stock footage so we can't credit them for that, which leaves the out of suit stuff. And in that regard we have a choice between 5 teenagers who hang out in a healthy juice bar and volunteer to pick up trash at the park when they're not studying and doing homework, or two bumbling Laurel and Hardy-esque idiots who eventually went on to steal the show when they became cops and detectives. The latter were more interesting to me, personally.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Patrick Stewart as Zordon. Make it happen.
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Patrick Stewart as Zordon. Make it happen.

Missed opportunity here

To the people saying this will be bad. They're right, this will be awful. Beyond awful. It's possible a new language will need to be devised to describe just how awful this will be. But also consider this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wt6XlVob_E.

It's going to be awesome, I can't wait for it.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Just keep Michael Bay away from it and it's all good.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
synaia wrote:

In Space, when they re enacted "I am Spartacus.". It was glorious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3