• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, but "pre-sequel" is more fun. It's in my headcanon.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they're going to keep in the sex this time. Dolphins have already been spotted, though...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wonder if they're going to keep in the sex this time. Dolphins have already been spotted, though...

I had a hell of a time convincing a reviewer here that you could still tell what the spoiler["mana empowering"] scene really was all about.

Context or subtext, there's no way around it.

Blood-
Quote:

I'd love to take a "headcanon" to each of you guys who are keeping this majorly rejected subject alive. Jesus Eff. What is it about nerds that requires them by law to chew a topic into toxic cud?

I didn't care until the "Berserk" episode and realized they're planning to muck around with the characters that appeared in Fate Zero just because they can and it's already backfiring.

Now I'm wondering why they tried so hard to do a straight adaptation of the VN. In the movie, Archer's final move was decidedly badass and an improvement over his attempt in the main story {was it the same in the VN? No one has actually said either way yet} but here it just looks kind of stupid as instead of Berserker, he could have come in closer to snipe the person controlling Berserker. His response when Rin kind of suggested it: "I can see spoiler[her attack before it hits you so I can it out of the air] in time but not her."
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
The scene with spoiler[Archer firing Caelidh Bolg] is exactly the same as it was in the game. Everything even down to the last few screenshots could have been lifted straight from the game's CG and special effects trying to illustrate what happenend. What's new in this adaptation was spoiler[all the other times he was told to act as fire support. ]

Only now with the introduction of the scene spoiler[between Rin and Ilya] do potential contradictions come into play since Archer is unable to spoiler[target Ilya but still able to detect his Master and fire arrows from a ridiculous distance away to save her]. Ilya spoiler[originally stayed out of the fray throughout the battle ] with much of the chapter devoted to describing how spoiler[even it was between the two heroes (unlike what eventually happened in the other two routes) ]

It is possible that Ilya is implied to be spoiler[using some form of invisibility magic rendering her impossible to target by Archer using his magically enhanced long range vision] but as pointed out the result is somewhat jarring.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The scene with spoiler[Archer firing Caelidh Bolg] is exactly the same as it was in the game.

No, not exactly. In the vn spoiler[Berserker actually saw Caladbolg as a threat and attacked it instead of just standing there.]

Quote:
It is possible that Ilya is implied to be spoiler[using some form of invisibility magic rendering her impossible to target by Archer using his magically enhanced long range vision] but as pointed out the result is somewhat jarring.

I don't remember any line in the episode implying that. It's much more reasonable to think that (big spoiler) spoiler[he didn't attack her, because he wouldn't attack his sister] or that he simply didn't have a clear shot because of trees or fog.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
The scene with spoiler[Archer firing Caelidh Bolg] is exactly the same as it was in the game.

No, not exactly. In the vn spoiler[Berserker actually saw Caladbolg as a threat and attacked it instead of just standing there.]

Quote:

I don't remember any line in the episode implying that. It's much more reasonable to think that (big spoiler) spoiler[he didn't attack her, because he wouldn't attack his sister] or that he simply didn't have a clear shot because of trees or fog.

You're probably right on Berserker's actions, but I do remember the end result of Berserker spoiler[standing in the middle of an inferno at the Church graveyard. Whether or not he actually succeeded in attacking an overcharged phantasm doesn't seem to have affected the end result. ]

Since you know the material off by heart, could you double-check this scene again? At this point in time, Archer spoiler[does not remember his past identity but is affected by subconscious instincts when interacting with Rin, Saber and Ilya. At any rate, the battle between Rin and Ilya didn't happen in the game and I'm very sure Archer only fired one shot throughout this entire chapter at Berserker. During this episode, doesn't Ilya move from her initial position when duelling Rin? The scene was likely set in the deep forest to reassure viewers aware of Archer's vision and questions on why he didn't just shoot Ilya when his kinetic vision easily let him repel the sword she hurls at Rin. ]
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
The visual novel itself doesn't make it very clear, spoiler[when Archer regains his memory, but Nasu says in a complementary material, that his memory started to return the moment he met Rin and he had most things figured out soon enough.]

About the fight in vn, spoiler[Archer actually fired conventional arrows at Berserker two or three times having no effect and Berserker not even paying attention to them.]

On Rin vs. Illya, Archer states that he can sense Rin since she's his master, but other things aren't very clear from where he stands. Can't say if we can fully trust him since he has no problem hitting Berserker, although they might've been closer at that point. Don't know if he can sense servants from such distance as well.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
The visual novel itself doesn't make it very clear, spoiler[when Archer regains his memory, but Nasu says in a complementary material, that his memory started to return the moment he met Rin and he had most things figured out soon enough.]

About the fight in vn, spoiler[Archer actually fired conventional arrows at Berserker two or three times having no effect and Berserker not even paying attention to them.]

On Rin vs. Illya, Archer states that he can sense Rin since she's his master, but other things aren't very clear from where he stands. Can't say if we can fully trust him since he has no problem hitting Berserker, although they might've been closer at that point. Don't know if he can sense servants from such distance as well.

I guess I was wrong on spoiler[the level of Archer's involvement in the duel between Saber and Archer, but his first overt attempt at Shirou's life is at Caster's base so at that point we can safely say he remembers who Shirou is. It's very debatable if he intended the phantasm aimed at Berserker to finish Shirou off as well, even though the episode seems to hint as such. Archer only definitively remembers Saber's identity much later at the Cathedral catacombs but not beforehand. ]

Because the spoiler[fight between Rin and Ilya is original, viewers familiar with the game have no idea where the forest is in relation to the graveyard. Berserker isn't Assassin so if Archer could shoot at him from his vantage point all he needed was a clear line of sight. Also, Archer is actually shown changing his sniper position several times during the episode whereas I'm not sure he moved a lot when the duel started. ]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

If there was one episode that proved spoiler[Nasu Kinoko was serious about adding in bits of the story which were never told in the game, this is it. ]

Off the top of my head:

spoiler[Opening scene with Ilya and the two maids. The latter are only introduced in Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. In addition, I certainly do not remember the twelve trials regenerating one trial every three days! ]

spoiler[The bento scene isn't familiar, but the scene where Shirou and Saber meet Kuzuki is. I vaguely remember Sakura and Fujimura staying over once they heard about Saber though. Shirou's excuse to fob them off is ironic for those who've read Fate/Zero, but I vaguely remember he used it also in the game. ]

spoiler[Mitsuzuri's chat with Shirou talks a bit more about his archery club background than was ever let on in the game. Trying to get him to rejoin the club is also a conversation I don't seem to remember from the game, but the part about Shirou not smiling or not having any kind of desire seems familiar in a different context. ]

spoiler[Rin in the office building is definitely original. The producers have also expanded Caster's repertoire of skeletal servants (previously I recall they were just humans, I spotted a few dogs and a crocodile in the brief scene) ]

Shirou's dream gets short air time, but there's no doubt this is the arc that focuses on spoiler[the field of swords.]

All in all, the calm before the storm. If episodes like this are the norm, then there's no problem pacing the arc in 2 seasons rather than just the one. Looking forward to seeing spoiler[Rider in action next episode, the wire frame model looks good. ]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Good episode overall with more spoiler[info dump. And despite no action, I thought it was a decent buildup like with the teacher and Shirou's friends. The class system is also explained a bit and it's revealed why Saber cannot tell Shirou her true name.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
spoiler[Isuru's chat with Shirou]

I'm honestly baffled how you managed to screw up Ayako's name so badly Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Not gonna lie, I loved this episode exclusively because Sakura got so much screentime Smile
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Rin is helping Shirou a lot.
She totally has a thing for him.
The encounter with Berserker was a bit much for them.
Saber gave Shirou a lesson on servant classes.
Tour of the school with Saber was nice.
Shirou sure is popular with the girls..
Rin on the other hand is always busy fighting something.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
spoiler[Isuru's chat with Shirou]

I'm honestly baffled how you managed to screw up Ayako's name so badly Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Not gonna lie, I loved this episode exclusively because Sakura got so much screentime Smile

I did indeed. Not sure why I misheard Mitsuzuri as Isuru, didn't bother to check the name afterwards.

It's been amended anyway, embarrassing on my part.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Great episode as our mysterious lady with the spoiler[purple hair debuts. Solid action with both her and Rin too. I liked the fight and the way it was delivered.]

spoiler[Shirou's got some guts taking all those attacks though. I'll give him a lot of credit for this bravery.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Captain of the archery club missing.]
Shirou - Tohsaka relationship spoiler[shifted to enemies again.]
Interesting how they don't care about destroying the school.
Seems like spoiler[they are just enemies] when opportunity presents itself.
Those two sure have an unusual relationship.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 38