• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't think Waver married into the El-Melloi family. More like forced into the family. The family head right now is Reines El-Melloi, she calls Waver as brother.

Fair enough, I guess I was misremembering that point. He did inherit the title and Kayneth's Mystic Code though.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of cool world and character building material that never made it into the anime, huh? Sad to hear that after all that character development with Rider about living life to the fullest, Waver regresses after becoming trapped in life by the El-Mellois.
So even after they destroyed the grail this time, there's still another grail war, and that Luvia girl is involved next time? I want to see that animated...maybe after the Heaven's Feel movie?
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

So even after they destroyed the grail this time, there's still another grail war, and that Luvia girl is involved next time? I want to see that animated...maybe after the Heaven's Feel movie?

Waver's actually known as one of the cooler and more successful lecturers in the Clock Tower, so much so that he has nicknames that basically allude to such. Still don't use them around him or else he'll be pissed off.

Lately, there have been more side materials featuring Lord El-Melloi II running around doing things with another Saber clone (who also apparently happens to be a descendant of Saber somehow, and is carrying around one of her Noble Phantasms, a spear, as a Mystic Code). There's also something mentioned in the character materials that spoiler[Waver and Rin go back to Fuyuki to destroy the Greater Grail 10 years after the end of the 5th Holy Grail War, so that this one is truly the last].

Luvia is more featured in the Fate fandisc Fate/hollow ataraxia, but not in another Grail War. Still, her appearance in the epilogue has raised hopes that ufotable is going to animate hollow ataraxia after they're done with the Heaven's Feel movies. We can only hope.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GhostStalkerSA"]
Agent355 wrote:

There's also something mentioned in the character materials that spoiler[Waver and Rin go back to Fuyuki to destroy the Greater Grail 10 years after the end of the 5th Holy Grail War, so that this one is truly the last].

Luvia is more featured in the Fate fandisc Fate/hollow ataraxia, but not in another Grail War. Still, her appearance in the epilogue has raised hopes that ufotable is going to animate hollow ataraxia after they're done with the Heaven's Feel movies. We can only hope.

1. It's not a war, more like two curious wizards cleaning up after the mess made by others 20 years ago. Did they mistranslate something in that wikia everyone refers to?

2. No plans for hollow/ataraxia and there probably won't be one if the entitled fans nitpicking over this adaptation get their way. There's also the problem of weaving in the main plot and the side-stories together in a seamless way within budget and in a coherent order.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I like older Rin, wish we could have seen more of her. Didn't expect Luvia, and the lack of sentient magical stick floating nearby was a tiny bit disappointing

HaruhiToy wrote:

I had to look up what a medulla oblongata was. My first guess was wrong.

out of curiosity, what was your first guess?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
out of curiosity, what was your first guess?

Lol. Had I thought about it for even a second I would have realized it was in the brain somewhere -- but I was just in a mental state that let me assume it was an obscure but sensitive part of the sex organs.

Now I know those girl characters are supposed to have an epic rivalry but really -- attempting inflict severe brain damage like that in a sparring match? I don't think even the Fight Club would countenance that. Bad Rin. Bad. She would have been better off with my notion. Well, she paid the price for it so I guess it is all good.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

1. It's not a war, more like two curious wizards cleaning up after the mess made by others 20 years ago. Did they mistranslate something in that wikia everyone refers to?

I think I just expressed myself poorly. Meant to say that this is the last Holy Grail War, there won't be any after what I posted behind the spoiler happens.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
I think the finale redeemed the show a lot. Epilogues tend to do that though. My only complaint is that Shinji is still alive. Aside from that, great ending to a good show.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
^They should have let Shinji die by that tree. Laughing
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
Dub cast just announced! Aniplex released the trailer. I think Bryce Papenbrook will be a fine Shirou (even though I found no problems with Sam Riegel). I'm eternally grateful to the gods that they decided to keep the same cast from Fate/Zero, especially with Kirei and Gilgamesh. Those two were perfect in Fate/Zero! I dare say that, and please don't hurt me for this, Gilgamesh's dub voice is somewhat superior to his Japanese in some ways, and Crispin Freeman's Kirei stands equal with Joji Nakata. I personally think that Freeman does better with Kirei's human moments, while Nakata does better with his laughter and general evilness.

One think I need to praise Tony Oliver for is the task of avoiding actors who had major roles in Fate/Zero. I think I'd be too busy subconsciously pointing out how similar the characters sound to others in that universe if he cast... say, Matthew Mercer as Archer or Jamieson Price as... anyone.

They're giving the part of Shinji to a newbie. Lets hope he can pull it off. It's not easy to get Shinji just right. You need to make him hateful, yet petty. Again, I think the previous dub voice was great, but he already played Kayneth in Fate/Zero (playing a similarly arrogant attitude). I just hope that this new guy knows what he's doing.

Bryce Papenbrook should do great as Shirou. Mela Lee probably won't reach the greatness of Japanese Rin, but I trust she'll do well enough.

I just noticed, Tony is still playing Lancer. It's almost like he's saying "Yeah, all these guys sounded bad in the old dub, but I was totally and completely perfect!" Oh, Tony Oliver, you smug, smug man. >Neutral I love you for it though. You'll be a great Lancer once more. Oh, hey! They also kept the same Taiga and Rin actors.

Erm... Melissa Fahn as Rider? You... sure about this? It's a good thing this route is her shortest run. Still, if they're keeping this cast for the upcoming Heaven's Feel movie, they'd better up their game.

Speaking of which, I hope they dub Heaven's Feel too. I mean, at this point, I think the Fate franchise is popular enough that any anime adaptation that gets made will get a dub, but still, Aniplex isn't known for always putting a dub in.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^They should have let Shinji die by that tree. Laughing

Poor Shinji he was just a foolish highschool boy. Not someone who deserved to die. Well, he wasn't as bad as Gilgamesh at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Erm... perhaps this isn't the best place to mention what happens in Heaven's Feel, but... spoiler[Shinji attempted to rape Rin. Let's just say he had experience in the field. Plus, the attempted rape was toned down by Ufotable. Trust me, he's worse than you think. He just seems fun to watch because the forces at work prevent him from succeeding in anything too evil.]

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
So I just realized Shirou's entire character arc in UBW perfectly maps onto the definition of a Kierkegaardian Knight of Faith, and that his resolution in 22/21 is a blatant teleological suspension of the ethical. I don't know if that was conscious on Nasu's part but it's a damn perfect fit now that I realize it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Just finished episode 12 on a dub rewatch. Great dub.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
So I just realized Shirou's entire character arc in UBW perfectly maps onto the definition of a Kierkegaardian Knight of Faith, and that his resolution in 22/21 is a blatant teleological suspension of the ethical. I don't know if that was conscious on Nasu's part but it's a damn perfect fit now that I realize it.

Can you elaborate on this. I doubt we can apply Kierkegaard as well as you propose, because he is talking about types of faith in God and its authority - with knight of faith I think he's basically describing the ideal Christian. Shirou seems to me much closer to the knight of infinite resignation in that he's ready to strive for his goal as an unreachable ideal and not putting faith in it becoming true through some divine intervention (becoming a Counter Guardian). Nasuverse is agnostic anyway and closest examples to divinity are more forces of nature.

P.S. I've not read Fear and Trembling so this is more of my general understanding of Kierkegaard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 38