• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Suppresses Yen Press Titles in Dispute with Hachette

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry, I generally use short-hand whenever I can ^^;
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Alright! No problem. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
ozgnp

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Apparently the dispute has gone from ridiculous to childish. Amazon listing all the YP titles that are pending as "unavailable" gives the impression that they don't want to sell those books, costing them large amounts of money in the process.

I called Amazon to ask why this was happening, but all they did was give me a lot of runaround. They never answered my question. They're totally stupid to tick off their customers like that.

I went to Right Stuf! and placed my orders for the books due out on May 27.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
I got this via Twitter, NYT blog has something you may want to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
It's been all over my twitter feed, too, considering that I follow Brent Weeks and Gail Carriger, and my roommate follows them plus Kate Elliot and Jon Courtnay Grimwood, all of which are published by Orbit. Besides that, we read tons of other Orbit authors, and Brent Weeks is good(?) friends(?) with Sam Sykes, Lord Grimdark (aka Joe Abercrombie), and others, who are all supporting Hachette. Non-Hachette author Jacqueline Carey, whom I also follow, is also posting things.

One thing most of the articles are barely mentioning, and I learned of through comments to an article, is the author payment for e-books.

For most e-book outlets (Apple was specified, but the implication was everywhere non-Amazon), authors get 70% of the e-book price. So, a $9.99 e-book would net the author about $7. For Amazon, e-books within the $2.99-9.99 range officially get 70%, but then they have a "downloadable fee" which reduces it to 50%. For books outside that range? 35%.

In addition to that, Amazon doesn't allow e-books to be sold cheaper than them anywhere else. So, the example that was used in the comment I saw, is if you have a $19.95 e-book, you'd get $14 anywhere other than Amazon. On Amazon, you'd get $7. You'd have to charge $40 for the book to get the same amount, and Amazon doesn't allow that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I just checked Spice and Wolf Novel Vol. 11 at Amazon.co.uk and they are still listing and selling it and the rest as well.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hmm. I just checked Spice and Wolf Novel Vol. 11 at Amazon.co.uk and they are still listing and selling it and the rest as well.

So maybe the dispute is a US/North American issue??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

So maybe the dispute is a US/North American issue??
Well it did mention Amazon, Germany so I was wondering if that would affect the UK as well, but for Spice and Wolf, a Yen Press licence, it appears business as usual.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf 11 is already released, though. It's the pre-orders that they've pulled. Also, other than 11, they're charging full price (or even a penny more!) for the rest of the volumes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Not for the UK it's not. I just checked Vol 12.. they list it for pre-order with a release in August.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Well this is more complicated then I thought, but if the UK and Germany is not effected, then this maybe the dispute is a US/North American issue.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I highly suspect the foreign operations are pretty well allowed to do their own thing.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
My copy of High School DxD shipped. Seems Amazon's only stopping new sales, preordered items are shipping.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I highly suspect the foreign operations are pretty well allowed to do their own thing.

Well you're not alone. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4