• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc III Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I can see what you're getting at here but I can't get into the original series as its visuals, sub par for its day, have only gotten worse. Neither the movies nor what I've seen of the show have given me the impression that this is the deep series that it seems to be considered to be.

I would say they've gotten better with the BD. The color palette of that series is great and the watercolor backgrounds, while often sparse, lend a nice artistic touch. They did the best they could with their limited budget, far better than other series in similar predicaments. The movies skip too much material to contain any depth, but it's there in the show and manga.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I also am someone who has not read the manga (well... I did buy the first two volumes 10 years ago but I didn't care for it at the time and don't think I read more then the first two chapters), or watched the previous TV series. I checked out these films to also 'see what all the fuss is about'. From a purely 'brutal fantasy' POV I quite like it. Much for the same reasons I current dig Attack on Titan and A Game of Thrones. Act III definitely takes a turn into the more Lovecraftian horror, which was definitely interesting. Overall I think all three films did a good job of really setting the stage. Trouble is.... that's kind of all they were. And extended origin story. And that's fine, Gut's motivations are quite clear now. But I get the impression that the main thrust of the narrative is quite a bit more/different. I believe they're going to continue to put of movies for the foreseeable future. So we'll see how that goes.

As for the look of the films, the CGI was quite distracting, but not more so then other films/shows that combine 2D and 3D CGI. It was made a bit more distracting here as it often jumps from detailed 2D close-up to noticeably 3D wideshots. And god help you if there are lighting/partial effects going on.

As for the notion that this story has been truncated to the point of taking all the emotion out of it. I kind of have to disagree. Again, as someone not familiar with the source I wasn't confused by the lack of background for all the side characters. Frankly, since they were all arch-typical any way it did not bother me that we didn't get into them very deeply. Frankly it kept annoying me that they always seemed to survive the large battles when the faceless grunts were being slaughtered around them. Felt a bit 'shonen' in a otherwise 'Seinen' story. Their fates all had the desired impact IMO, after 3 movies there was enough there to care about them enough, and know their importance to Guts.

So yeah. I thought it was a decent trilogy overall.

Now if only Dark Horse/DMP would get the manga volumes out digitally I might give the manga a read some time.
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
I completely expected these movies to be stripped of a lot of what made Berserk special story and character wise, but some of the cuts made no sense; the second movie was the worst offender in that regard. I more or less concur with the review, it is the best one out of the three and that eclipse is still tough to witness. These movies could've been significantly better though.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
I am not going to lie, I don't like Berserk. I saw the show, and read segments of the manga, and while I do like individual elements or characters like Zodd, overall it wasn't my cup of tea.

That said I still respect it as a work, and when I saw the previews of the first two movies I honestly could not believe how a series as revered as this ended up like that. I mean the horrendous CGI styled animation looks awful, I mean the tv show that is what, a decade older, looks like the better work of the two. Hopefully, for those who love the series, sometime in the future this can get a better adaption because if these films are the last time we see Berserk animated it would be a travesty.
Valvados

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Berserk Movie III had two different versions released in Japanese theaters, an R-rated version and then a harder NC-17 rated version (more or less). Are we getting the uncut version on US bluray or the R-rated version? Can anyone confirm one way or the other before I decide to buy please?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Valvados wrote:
Berserk Movie III had two different versions released in Japanese theaters, an R-rated version and then a harder NC-17 rated version (more or less). Are we getting the uncut version on US bluray or the R-rated version? Can anyone confirm one way or the other before I decide to buy please?

If the R-rated verson has the spoiler[sex & rape scenes] cut then don't worry, we got the NC-17 version.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Hopefully, for those who love the series, sometime in the future this can get a better adaption because if these films are the last time we see Berserk animated it would be a travesty.

I think there was a statement about the intent to make more, but I can't see how that's going to happen when the films bombed in theaters and didn't sell well on disc either. Maybe they're counting on western money? I mean, I wouldn't mind seeing more Berserk animated as R-rated or NC-17-rated films, but if and only if, they choose another studio, another director, another EVERYTHING ELSE except for Hirasawa doing the score.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Valvados wrote:

I hear it's the unedited version, not theatrical.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
The new movies were meh. 6/10 for the triology. On a good day.
I actualy dislike 2 the most but at least they were (i hope)great publicity. I don´t even know if a want a sequel now. The manga though is currently on fire.
If you never started reading, now is the time !

walw6pK4Alo i actualy like the new scores by the EVA composer and Slans bush was epic indeed but the rest can go home. I wonder what newcommers are thinking. Anyone new to the series here ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gutsmen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, me. I watched the 3 movies and I liked them very much, because I had never seen something similar to Berserk. So I became a fan and watched the old series and read every chapter of the manga that have been published.
Also three other friends became fans, so I think it was great publicity for the manga.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that at least is good to hear. It´s my favourite manga i realy tried to like to movies but i don´t think i will every watch them again. The old anime though is a good adaptation. Animated by the Pokemon guys i might add. Laughing
Maybe you should try Wolfsmund and Vinland Saga next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gutsmen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you didn't like them because you had already read the manga, which is better.
And Vinland Saga is awesome, but I haven't read Wolfsmund yet. I'll try to start it today.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Gutsmen wrote:
Maybe you didn't like them because you had already read the manga, which is better.
And Vinland Saga is awesome, but I haven't read Wolfsmund yet. I'll try to start it today.

Dunno about Vinland Saga being all that awesome as the main character is a total punk and the far cooler characters get, well, you know Sad

It certainly gets props for art though. Bonus props for Askeladd bearing an eerily resemblance to Goto from Patlabor.
Gutsmen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn is pretty mature. He knows that he has done wrong in the past, has a goal he wants to achieve and he is very calm and cool. Well, he is a pacifist so maybe you don't like that type of characters.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who doesn't care for the old TV series? I felt like it was a pretty poor adaptation of the manga better suited for newcomers. I'm not saying these movies are any better, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3