• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Musical Suspects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
This again, talking about life-size statue, how about that Sonico? Very Happy

Could ya guys read that warning sign up on the back wall? Laughing

It's funny that they actually have to put such warnings up.
Here's how low and close up ya can get: Wink

Bingal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
I couldn't sit through K-ON! and thought it was awful and boring as hell, but BECK, I really dug. I kinda would like to see more music-orientated anime series. It's something that should be explored more often if you ask me.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The dead-eyed expression on her face makes me super-depressed. I can't help but imagine she's thinking "This is my own personal hell."
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
Great piece! It's out of scope for this discussion really, but anyone who likes these kind of music anime might also like the live action film Linda Linda Linda.
YeNguyen

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Phew, her posture is just broken from the neck down. I especially love the feet position they went for since it looks like it requires her to dislocate one of them??
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
@Enurtsol's post: Shocked Shocked Shocked What the heck??? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Beck is a pretty great show overall. Brina Palencia's singing is incredible, so much so that I wish Miho was the lead singer. Would've been more fun to watch. "Full Moon Sways" was on my favorite Youtube playlist for years.

I read the manga of NANA more than I watched the anime, but the music is awesome. Bonus: It got me to check out Eric Clapton's Layla(I didn't check out the live action films at all, though. What's the music like in those?)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The dead-eyed expression on her face makes me super-depressed. I can't help but imagine she's thinking "This is my own personal hell."

Dunno. Do all well-endowed gals think that? Could be bedroom eyes. Laughing

Agent355 wrote:

Bonus: It got me to check out Eric Clapton's Layla(I didn't check out the live action films at all, though. What's the music like in those?)

Layla from Black Heaven? Very Happy

Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Dunno. Do all well-endowed gals think that? Could be bedroom eyes. Laughing

I wouldn't know, but I'd imagine having to stand around all day when they're that big, sticking them out in the air while people take endless pictures would probably kill your back after awhile. Very Happy

What do you even call that angle? An Up-Boob Shot? (A la an Up-Skirt shot)
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I doubt anyone will believe this. I didn't believe myself at first. But a really great anime about forming a band and writing songs and getting signed and the troubles therein is Kaikan Phrase. Just stop watching it when the girl shows up halfway through, because at that point it becomes standard Mayu Shinju. But whoever did the anime spent the first 18 episodes without the heroine and it's pretty good, and so's the music. It does look pretty dated now though.
Relenus

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Beck is goddamn fantastic. In addition to how much reverence it has for music, it's one of the realest takes on what it's like being a teenager I've ever seen. It captures all the angst, hormones, and awkwardness from being 15 without feeling melodramatic or rose-tinted.

On a side note, if you've never seen it before, I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with the English dub. Mostly because the dub is fantastic and (in my opinion, at least) surpasses the original Japanese version. There's also the part that if you're gonna watch it in Japanese, you better have a high-tolerance of hilariously bad Engrish. Especially from characters like Maho and Ryusuke for whom English is supposed to be their first language.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
You couldn't pay me enough to sit through K-ON, ...

Really? If someone offered you $10,000 per episode you would still refuse to watch it? That's hard corp.

As for healing anime, you should include Aria.

Quoting because fudge yea Aria.
motormind

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
Do I love K-On? Oh boy. I have just been in Kyoto, where I searched the last few locations from K-On that I missed the last time I visited Japan (Kyoto Animation is famous for using real-life locations in their shows). Yes, that's how much I love it, and it will probably be one of my favorites forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3