• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Voice Actors Replaced with Sound-Alikes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I wonder how it'll be to hear Ash's voice done by a different voice actor? Will it be the same or will kids detest it? Hopefully this doesn't screw American Pokemon over.
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone still watch pokemon to honestly care?
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Psshh. Who cares? So what?

Pokémon got old by the time they got to the Orange Islands. As soon as they introduced that Tracy person, everyone I know stopped caring about it.

The only sad part is that people had to lose their jobs.
King Mob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow I can't believe you started this topic with your only concern being how the new actors will sound.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Pokemon is coming to the end of its downward spiral. If Nintendo doesn't even care enough to keep the voices consistent then what does that say about the rest of their interest in the series?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda disappointing to hardcore Pokemon fans, like myself.

I've been watching Pokemon since episode 1, and I still watch it every week. The thought of getting new VA's seems unheard of.

I'm going to miss Jame's/Kojiro's voice. He was one of my favourite voices in Pokemon.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
If Nintendo doesn't even care enough to keep the voices consistent then what does that say about the rest of their interest in the series?

4Kids mentioned cost cutting in their conference call earlier this month, so I would expect Nintendo is not to blame for the change. But that's just putting two and two together; it could be something else.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could see that, I would imagine the license is anything but cheap for 4Kids to keep up on. But what about Nintendo's end? To the best of my knowledge 4Kids doesn't own the recording studio that they use and even if they did I'm sure they'd love to make a little extra cash giving Nintendo use of it. Surely Nintendo is aware that even among children the voices are important to their fans, and I'm guessing they are aware otherwise they wouldn't be looking towards soundalikes. Just how hard would it be for them to just rehire the crew for consistencies (and the fans) sake?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Well this sucks. It's never good when voice actors get replaced.

I wonder if this will trickle down to the rest of the 4Kids shows, since they're all dubbed in the same studio/area (New York)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought that Pokemon USA has distribution rights for this and not 4Kids. Were the VAs contractually bound to 4Kids in any way?
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
SakuraPurinsesu wrote:
Does anyone still watch pokemon to honestly care?

Yes. I care very much. It's like those commercials featuring Kermit the frog: I don't watch Sesame Street anymore (unless I's wearing my fussy slippers and jammies) but it doesn't sound right hearing the new voice actor's rendition. It just isn't Kermit. I grew up looking at and listening to this character for years now he's got a new voice.

And the thing is; you can tell IMMEDIATELY when it's a new VA taking over the roll of a well known character and some how, things are not right in the universe. It's like that.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, now Pokemon will never be the same...oh wait it'll still be dull and repeatative even without the original voice cast. But seriously though, that sucks. I don't know why they would replace the cast out of the blue like that. Veronica Taylor along with the rest of the cast are very talented people and don't deserve to be treated like that. But that just goes to show you that studios don't always konw what's best for a show or movie.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Maybe a change of clothes will do them so good? This can't be 100% bad. Maybe they might find some some credible voice actors and then make the show interesting and better than what it once was.
<---------Street Dreaming Embarassed
konosuke15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
wow...ANN sure got this late...although, i am not a hardcore fan of pokemon (only the games interest me), it saddnes me that VA's that have worked so long on the series will be replaced....
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
konosuke15 wrote:
wow...ANN sure got this late...

You're right. We were discussing about this topic last week in the General Anime section and also over at the Anime on DVD forum. Why did it take ANN a week later to post this in the news section? (Same deal with the news about the death of Bob Papenbrook.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5