• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: American Teens Share Their Reactions to Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Stupid bitch!!

Seriously, I can't stand these idiot subbies.

You don't have to call her a name Confused Sure most of the things she said were cringe worthy, but that's just her being spazzy and, of course, stating her opinion.

Anyway, I liked this video. It made me smile a lot (minus the sub-only girl), and really brought to light on how huge AoT is. I definitely agreed with the guy about Frozen.

And (I'll say this now) I like the dub. It's good so far and I'm looking forward to hearing more (especially Josh Grelle) Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The local dub versions of Frozen typically gross higher than the subtitled original language in theaters BTW.

And there's the old story where the You're Under Arrest OAV director liked the English actresses enough that he told the Japanese seiyuu to be a bit more like them for the following TV series.

Anyways, "Kids/Teens/Elders React to" have done other things like this:

Kids React to Caramelldansen

Kids React to Ponponpon

Vocaloids

Elders React to Vocaloids!

Elders React to Vocaloids! - Bonus

Kids React to Hatsune Miku

Kids React to Hatsune Miku - Bonus

SpacemanHardy wrote:
Whatever your individual reasons may or may not be, in my own personal opinion, I just have a hard time taking seriously a high-pitched, effeminate, childlike voice coming out of a character that looks like this:

Actar wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
Actar wrote:
To me, watching a dubbed anime is like watching American cartoons or Hollywood movies dubbed in Japanese or a Korean drama dubbed in Chinese. It's just so bizarre when you can just experience the original.

The difference there though is you're watching real people. You most likely know what those hollywood actors sound like before even turning on the movie, so seeing that person with another person's voice coming out of them is strange. There's a visual and auditory disconnect there. While that can certainly happen with anime if you've watched a show a lot in japanese and then switch to english, I feel it's far less pronounced compared to live-action.

I did include American cartoons in my original comment as well. I mean, I like Japanese, but I see no reason in watching this, regardless of quality, over the original English version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZS36w_fxdg

Funny that ya mention that! Even the Japanese are getting wise about foreigners BS: Laughing

"Overseas reaction to Japanese My Little Pony dub is a little odd to Japanese people"

• Comments on the YouTube entry were largely positive, calling the Japanese version “so powerful and so magnificent with the feelings in the song. This is the best version and perhaps better than English.” In addition several viewers reported feeling shivers down their spines at Takagaki’s vocal work.

Meanwhile, people in Japan were finding the foreign interest in the song rather curious. Netizens began unearthing other My Little Pony songs and finding dozens of rave reviews written beneath them each time. “This song too seems a bit of a stretch, but foreigners are going crazy over it,” wrote one confused viewer, to which another speculated, “I think they’re putting emphasis on the quality of the voice. It’s understandable when hearing a language you don’t know.”
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
"Overseas reaction to Japanese My Little Pony dub is a little odd to Japanese people"

Man I hate sites that do that. They take a few random posts from a few random forums and try to make it seem like an entire country is saying stuff. They don't even cite where they got them from or who said it? Are YouTube comments newsworthy now? lol Let alone only using like 1 random comment where 100 others could have said the opposite or somethin
Octulus

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Slow news day, huh?
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like the dub, maybe more than the original, but I'm sure that's just me. :p[/quote]

Not just you. Very Happy. Personally, I feel that the characters sound more like people and less like archetypes.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Funny reactions to the first few minutes of Attack on titan.

I kind of liken it to ANN's general reaction to Queens Blade.

There is also no need for the DUB SUB thing. Look to sales before rambling on about which one is better. What made AOT good is the story. What makes it better is the possibility of it being animated further. No one gives a shit about how you consume it. Stop acting like the kids in this video.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just getting old, and I guess I'm in the minority here in the comments section, but I thought all the teens in the video were really fun to watch. They were just being enthusiastic and having a great time reacting to the AoT clips. The girl who didn't like dubs was just emoting like a typical teenager - they all were. I really enjoyed watching this, and like someone above said, I bet this video will bring in a lot of new curious viewers to AoT.

As to the three female seiyuu mentioned above (for Goku, Edward Elric and Kenshin), I've never seen Dragonball so I can't comment on the first. I thought Romi Paku was great as Edward in both FMA series.

BUT... I recently started watching Rurouni Kenshin, and OMG what a shock when Kenshin opened his mouth. In two seconds I was like, why did they use a female seiyuu? It's clearly a female voice, and isn't Kenshin supposed to be like 23 years old? It's not the usual thing of a female seiyuu playing a 12 year-old boy or whatever. ??

I haven't tried watching AoT in the dub version yet. Now I'm scared to, reading some of these comments. Surprised
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Oh crap. Confused I guess my fingers were faster than my brain and I didn't realize that I was contributing to a pages long sub vs dub debate. Those are getting really old.

Anyway, I really liked the video. I've been following the Fine Bros. for a while now and hoped they'd do something like this. It's great to see the show get even more exposure and I hope that all the new viewers enjoy the show.
sypherman

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
So the myth of the immaculate seiyu performance persists....sad.
RokugoPeachMoon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

The dub rage is strong in this one Laughing

It sure is. But the subbies are the ones who have already crossed over to the dark side of the fandom.

So someone is bad because they don't like what you like? That makes TOTAL sense........

TopGunman wrote:
Yup, it's the same thing every time. Sub purists will spew the same horse crap of the Japanese version being infinitely better no matter what even when it's horrible like Nozowa's Goku or Romi Park's Edward Elric.

Nozowa sounds like she smoked an entire Marlboro factory.
Park sounds like a girl putting on a man's voice for the sake of making some guy she's talking about sound really obnoxious.

What's next, people saying Brad Swaile as Quatre Rebarba Winner is bad while Ai Orikasa is perfect?

The only thing that is horse crap is your commentary/ desperate attempt to defend something that people have the audacity to not like. Rolling Eyes
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
sypherman wrote:

You know the ironic thing about this myth ? It's being heralded mostly by people what are not fluent in japanese. And who wouldn't be able to discern a good japanese performance from a bad one. In the end all japanese dubs sound the same so they must all be good right ? Rolling Eyes

There is nothing magical about the quality of a japanese dub. You find good ones and bad ones. And you can certainly get good english dubs, french dubs, german dubs, spanish dubs, italian dubs for anime. And you know what the only difference is that they sound different because the languages are different. So of course you won't get the same "tonality" of japanese but that doesn't make it bad. Good performance is good performance. Get a faithful adaptation, and good vocal performance and you've got yourself a good dub. It all comes down to this. So the people that shout "the japanese dub is superior just because it's japanese" are freaking ignorant.

Finally, enjoying a piece of entertainment (and that of course includes also anime) in your native language is nothing to be ashamed of. Some people *gasp* even like watching something they can immediately connect with and understand. Spoken language is more immediate than reading subtitles.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Man I hate sites that do that. They take a few random posts from a few random forums and try to make it seem like an entire country is saying stuff. They don't even cite where they got them from or who said it? Are YouTube comments newsworthy now? lol Let alone only using like 1 random comment where 100 others could have said the opposite or somethin

This. I can't personally gauge how many people are on each side, but a Japanese board I visit frequently has several Japanese MLP fans who, when there is an MLP topic, tend to praise the Japanese voice acting and singing a lot. There aren't that many Japanese fans around that I can see, but I've most definitely seen more of those who like the acting than not. And I've seen those who disagree with that majority, and they have plenty of excellent points, too.

lol Though I most definitely care more about the Japanese Goku and Kenshin than the English ones. I've been attached to both versions of both shows, actually, and there's just something about the Japanese voices that make the characters feel more fitting to their role. But then I followed Goku since he was little kid, and Kenshin was always the "oro" guy to me, so... those certainly feel weird in English to me, where masculinity takes over their being...
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote
This is my new least favourite thing in the world.

That kid with the goofy hair who used that Frozen example made me cringe pretty badly every time he was on screen.

Although that one Asian girl had to be the worst. Saying 'this show is my life' was bad enough but that little tirade about English dubs made me want to bash my head against a wall.

I can't help but wonder what sets these teens and preteens on the wrong path. I got into anime when I was 15 and I've been fine with dubs since day one apart from growing to strongly dislike Sentai Filmworks and any Greg Ayres performance that isn't Beck.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
sypherman wrote:

You know the ironic thing about this myth ? It's being heralded mostly by people what are not fluent in japanese. And who wouldn't be able to discern a good japanese performance from a bad one. In the end all japanese dubs sound the same so they must all be good right ? Rolling Eyes

There is nothing magical about the quality of a japanese dub. You find good ones and bad ones. And you can certainly get good english dubs, french dubs, german dubs, spanish dubs, italian dubs for anime. And you know what the only difference is that they sound different because the languages are different. So of course you won't get the same "tonality" of japanese but that doesn't make it bad. Good performance is good performance. Get a faithful adaptation, and good vocal performance and you've got yourself a good dub. It all comes down to this. So the people that shout "the japanese dub is superior just because it's japanese" are freaking ignorant.

Finally, enjoying a piece of entertainment (and that of course includes also anime) in your native language is nothing to be ashamed of. Some people *gasp* even like watching something they can immediately connect with and understand. Spoken language is more immediate than reading subtitles.

It's simply a case of 'If it sounds cool in Japanese then it must be good acting'

What makes it worse is Dub-haters will talk about 'preference' while at the same time invent some ridiculous science on exactly how anime must be appreciated, otherwise you're not a 'true fan.' Every argument bashing dubs and praising subs up until now has been nothing but a ginormous load of crap.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
Will the next one be "American College students share their reactions to Boku to Pico?" cause that would be awesome.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9