• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
So it is finally getting quite good.
I was not too fond of the first three episodes. As I am not great at guessing and can't remember the first series all that well, I will not try to attempt to guess who the mysterious guy is.

I do find Kirito's super skills a bit too stretched, the first time he shot during the practise he missed by far the target and then spoiler[shot the guy a few times with no problem]- I know that the distance was shorter, but still... You would have thought he would struggle a bit more, knowing that the skills required are a bit different from those he learned in the previous games.
Yarg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say Kirito had super skills with his gun. After all, the entire reason Sinon recommended an automatic (or semi-automatic) side arm to Kirito was because he was such a terrible shot. The good thing with semi or full automatic weapons is you can spray and pray for a couple of hits out of a dozen shots fired.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I was not too fond of the first three episodes. As I am not great at guessing and can't remember the first series all that well, I will not try to attempt to guess who the mysterious guy is.

I do find Kirito's super skills a bit too stretched, the first time he shot during the practise he missed by far the target and then spoiler[shot the guy a few times with no problem]- I know that the distance was shorter, but still... You would have thought he would struggle a bit more, knowing that the skills required are a bit different from those he learned in the previous games.

The practice one a long range shot. In this ep, he shot the guy in close range. And the game helps you with an indicator on where your bullet will go. Shion explained, when you fire, the shot will go any where within the circle.
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

He shot five times and only hit the guy twice in spots that don't seem to cause that much damage. I would say that wasn't all that great. He's using the gun to distract the player so he can close the gap and strike with the sword.

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I do find Kirito's super skills a bit too stretched, the first time he shot during the practise he missed by far the target and then

It's not that impressive. Yes, he was a lot closer, which with a pistol makes a huge difference, and his shots were ugly, mostly hitting shoulders and shins and stuff. If he'd been using just the gun it would have taken dozens of shots for him to finish off his opponent, it was a nuisance at best. Anyone else in that competition would have had the skills to make clean headshots under those circumstances.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Uemaru was a rather lousy shot so that he had to use full auto in hopes of getting a few hits in, all of which were not even close to lethal shots.

By the way, did anyone else notice the banner for the tournament? It definitely said "Bullet of Bullets."
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I would say this, and I'm sure Theron will get a chuckle out of it, but so far this is one of the better shows this season. I'm not as eager about it as Akame ga Kill! or Tokyo ESP, but it isn't very far behind those two. Somehow, SAO 2 seems to have eclipsed both Terror in Resonance and Aldnoah Zero. I find the former to be a bit too slow paced and the latter is quickly becoming "Inaho solves everything in his training robot, and Slaine runs around in circles fretting about the princess." Both of those shows are still somewhat entertaining, but SAO 2 is better. There, I said it.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, Kirito's kill with his sword was extremely brutal. I mean with a gun you can at least end it with a few headshots but with his sword he basically has to stand there watching the guy scream in pain for like 10 seconds till he's dead. No wonder no one uses them O_O.
blcskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Kirito apparently doesn't believe in the old adage "You don't bring a knife to a gun fight!". Loving the show, but the lack of Asuna does suck. She is one of my favorite characters of all time. Kaname from FMP and Ren from Dears are her rivals in my book.
otakudays

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Jesus, Kirito's kill with his sword was extremely brutal. I mean with a gun you can at least end it with a few headshots but with his sword he basically has to stand there watching the guy scream in pain for like 10 seconds till he's dead. No wonder no one uses them O_O.

Literally just jabbing someone with your flipping light saber/photon sword/ beamy sharp thing.
Yup just watching the HP drain out*scream* Let me just check my watch*more agonized screaming*
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The talk between Kirito and Sinon near the end of the episode was spoiler[meaningful although for some reason, I wasn't too interested in it. As for the episode itself, I really wonder which member from Laughing Coffin is in the GGO game right now. We will probably find out soon enough.]

That was also quite an aggressive way Kirito was fighting this episode...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Good episode!

I really enjoyed the spoiler[SAO flashback showing the Crusade against Laughing Coffin]. Kirito spoiler[breaking down after the talk with Death Gun was out of character. How many times has he been in life threatening situations in the past and "held it together"... Unless, maybe the emotional impact of SAO has finally caught up with him.]

Sinon was never going to spoiler[beat Kirito even though he should never had stood a chance against a sniper of her quality.] Though I will say in every fight he has fought so far, his opponent has just spoiler[stood still and opened fire]. Bit boring eh?
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Give and take time:

The flashback was pretty interesting. I could imagine the fear thespoiler[ leader was feeling as he was trying to boost the team's morale. Didn't really get how someone so close to death could kill three full health looking guys so easily and quickly though, but that's pretty much expected from this series (shove grim down our throats).
]

Battle between spoiler[Sinon and Kirito...stupidest thing I've seen in the past few months. Way too overdramatic and cheesy, to the point where I feel comfortable saying it's just bad writing.] My head hurts from how many times I smacked it. Good laugh though lol

On to the next episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[That threat wasn't something Kirito could take lightly.
Flashback to SAO]
was interesting.
spoiler[Attack on Laughing Coffin HQ] explained some things.
No wonder Kirito got the creeps when he saw that tattoo.
Still, why was he spoiler[scared shitless]? Overreacting much?
Well, at least Sinon could relate to his state.
spoiler[BoB round 2!
Kirito got a chance to vent his frustration.
Sinon round 5]
, the first they showed us, nice though.
Damn, I knew this would happen.
spoiler[Kirito vs Sinon!
That was no battle, it was just drama.
I get that it was hard to fight..
When the finally got to it]
, it was good.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Kirito spoiler[breaking down after the talk with Death Gun was out of character. How many times has he been in life threatening situations in the past and "held it together"... Unless, maybe the emotional impact of SAO has finally caught up with him.]

This was exactly what SAO1 was missing, and missing in a big way. It was one of my biggest criticisms of SAO1, and the primary reason I thought Accel World was a triumph over SAO1. Haruyuki was a human being, and one that you could feel something for. Kirito wasn't. (Except for one episode, which I discussed at length - the episode where Kirito and his sister have it out in the real world). This time around, Kawahara seems to have decided to make Kirito a person, and the story is 10 times better for it. The PTSD type nature of the flashbacks was pitch perfect. That was great storytelling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 115