• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
When did I say Kirito should do that? The thought never came in my mind. Don't try to paint illusions to my comment like that.

My point is you can't simply build up a character like they did with Asuna and reduce them to supporting roles just so you can have the main character have alone time with other girls. That's like if Erza from Fairy Tail suddenly became a common housewife doing nothing but cook for Natsu. It just would be an insult to the character.

As for deep conversations there wasn't really anything deep about what she said this episode. spoiler[Her and Kirito just spout exposition while having the usual lovey dovey aura about them.] That's not deep. Especially with the whole spoiler["I want to be with you forever" thing.] In a normal setting that would be fine. But this isn't. It's a fantasy setting that takes place in a games where someone always seem to have a thread over the players lives. So yeah I think it's in bad tastes to constantly split the two up so Kirito can add more girls to his harem. Simply not a writing tactic i personally approve of that's all.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Asuna's good with children and at cooking so I could see her either being a chef or a kindergarten teacher....or maybe a kindergarten-teaching chef. Anime hyper
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Asuna's good with children and at cooking so I could see her either being a chef or a kindergarten teacher....or maybe a kindergarten-teaching chef. Anime hyper

Nah she can be Japan's iron chef.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Asuna is a good housewife now. Her family is rich, there is no need for her to ever work. my popcorn is ready for this forum. I hope it's like last season. People argue about writing style is funny as hell.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Asuna is a good housewife now. Her family is rich, there is no need for her to ever work. my popcorn is ready for this forum. I hope it's like last season. People argue about writing style is funny as hell.

I wouldn't get your hopes up as most of the people who didn't like the first season should know better than to return for the second.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dtm's not watching, so that's cuts potential forum length in half

as for the episode itself, that was boring
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
we need Dtm to watch this anime. Otherwise the forum is going to be boring.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we could get Zac to take Dtm's place. he's going to be hate watching the show every week. that would surely make things interesting
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:

My point is you can't simply build up a character like they did with Asuna and reduce them to supporting roles just so you can have the main character have alone time with other girls. That's like if Erza from Fairy Tail suddenly became a common housewife doing nothing but cook for Natsu. It just would be an insult to the character.

Not really. Fairy Tail is an ensemble, in which Lucy is the viewpoint character, Natsu is ostensibly the action hero, Ezra is the reliable heavy, and then there are a handful of other primaries like Gray and Wendy. It is based on teamwork.

SAO is a solo act, the series is about Kirito, he is the only viewpoint character (aside from a few side stories), and everyone else is a supporting character. If you don't like that, fair enough, but that is the structure of the series. They are not tricking you or anything here. Asuna is a very important character, and a very strong one whenever the situation calls for it, but she is not the focus of the story, so yes, it does sometimes shift to focus on other characters and their adventures with Kirito.

If you are waiting for Asuna to be co-equal to Kirito, just give up on that, it's not going to happen. She has a stronger role in the next arc, but it's not as Kirito's Robin.

Quote:
So yeah I think it's in bad tastes to constantly split the two up so Kirito can add more girls to his harem. Simply not a writing tactic i personally approve of that's all.

To be fair, Kirito is a faithful guy. He hangs out and helps other people who happen to be female, but he is not like Miroku, actively seeking the romantic attentions of multiple women. It's referred to as a "harem" only in the sense that he attracts a lot of attention, but he never actually indulges in it himself.
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
SAO is a solo act, the series is about Kirito, he is the only viewpoint character (aside from a few side stories), and everyone else is a supporting character.

False. About half the stories are written from the perspective of people other than Kirito. All the "girl of the week" stories, and the "sidekick" of each major arc other than the first gets the viewpoint about half the time. This is present in the anime too, although perhaps a bit less obvious. Pay attention to whose thoughts we're aware of, or scenes that don't feature Kirito.

That doesn't mean it's not about Kirito, but he's very often described from another person's point of view. That other person just keeps changing. Presumably the reason for this is that Kirito as a character is defined by people "falling in love" with him, arguably including the author and the story itself. The way he affects the people he meets is more important to the author than how he reacts to the world.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
That's a fair enough point. It kind of has the same structure as the irregular in that regard where the main character is the viewpoint character most of the time. I think the main issue is that Asuna is the confirmed girl for him already. That's something that will never change no matter who he meets or what happens. So i feel like I'm being teased with he meeting of these new girls who end up literally standing no chance of getting with him. I know most romantic shows like this aren't exactly subtle about that but here it's like "STOP THINKING ANYONE OTHER THAN ASUNA IS GOING TO WIN NOW!" lol Razz

I have no problems with the couple but I'm one of those people that likes equal treatment between the couple/pair in a action oriented show. I mean....they are basically husband and wife at this point. So i think it's somewhat natural to expect that. A recent example of this would be No Game, No Life. While I thought Sora was standing out way to much compared to Shiro (who i still deem as otaku bait) early on she does actually get episodes dedicated to showing off her skills which is exactly what i like to see. Balance.

That's not the case here which is fine i suppose but kind of disappointing to me a little.

A Miroku influenced Kirito would be pretty funny though.
"Would you like to bear my cyber children?" xP
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
That's a fair enough point. It kind of has the same structure as the irregular in that regard where the main character is the viewpoint character most of the time. I think the main issue is that Asuna is the confirmed girl for him already. That's something that will never change no matter who he meets or what happens. So i feel like I'm being teased with he meeting of these new girls who end up literally standing no chance of getting with him. I know most romantic shows like this aren't exactly subtle about that but here it's like "STOP THINKING ANYONE OTHER THAN ASUNA IS GOING TO WIN NOW!" lol Razz

Luckily for us, Shinon has motivations and characterization other than wanting to "win" Kirito. Shocking, I know.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Oh, this thread needs some hate, does it? Lemme try my best. Wink

So, I was playing some Town of Salem a little while ago, and I came across Kirito. I was the serial killer in that game, and I put all of my effort into killing that turd. I didn't even care about winning, I just wanted him dead. Night 1, he was jailed (protected from my attack). Night 2, he was healed after my attack. Night 3, I was jailed (and couldn't attack). And the next day I was lynched by the town because I was discovered to be SK. And he survived all the way to the end, where it was revealed that he was mafia. The bad guys win and the good guys lose.

What this proves:
1. Kirito is Evil.
2. It's not about the soloist, it's about the choir. Anyone half-way decent would look good in a group of stupid. Kirito isn't special, he just surrounds himself with the right people.
3. Kirito is Evil.

I rest my case.

Oh, wait, this is a thread about discussing the anime. Pfft, I've got better things to do with my time, like playing ToS or picking the dead skin off the bottom of my feet. I saw the first two episodes of the first season and after reading more up on it I realized it wasn't for me.

Sorry, I can't be a replacement for dtm. I'd shoot myself before I'd watch this far. Wink

(Note: This post was made in semi-seriousness, so please calm the pitchforks. But for those who need something to let out their rage on, I've got some Kirito punching bags over here. It's very therapeutic.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

To be fair, Kirito is a faithful guy. He hangs out and helps other people who happen to be female

This is my favorite quote in this thread so far, and probably sums up the majority of what SAO stands for Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
Someone told me that my name cropped up in this here thread.

Spotlesseden wrote:
we need Dtm to watch this anime. Otherwise the forum is going to be boring.

Sorry, but I wouldn't watch this season even if I was offered money.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll all survive without me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 115