• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Bugnin wrote:

Their agenda to be there is that they are (A) all ALO players like Kirito and (B) they want to help out a friend and have fun.

Which is a problem in the long run. People aren't always just hanging out with one person because they like hanging out with him and want to help him out.

I believe there's a new term for that these days....I think it's called "friendship."

Quote:
Maybe here and there, but normal human behavior doesn't go on like that for lengthy, extended periods of time. People have their own lives and their own goals in the real world.In SAO, these other girls don't. Their only goal is to be by Kirito's side and assist him.

...and you're basing this on....what? All the enormous amounts of time they've spent in this series hanging out in ALO and going on quests?

Quote:
Like I said, give them some agency of their own. Maybe they can be on their own quests that happen to line up with Kirito's. At least that would add a scintilla of intrigue to them as characters. Like I said, it's what made Sinon an intriguing character for GGO. It seems that she will have none of that this time around though.

They're teaming up to play a game. Kirito called them together, but that's what it is. They're not treating it as some hardship they're enduring for him. It's just an excuse to get the gang together.

It's a light hearted 3 episode short story sandwiched between some serious dramatic arcs. Love it or leave it but it's not meant to be more than a quick intermission between arcs and a fun excuse to get the entire cast in one story.

I suppose its easier to appreciate Caliber in hindsight, because this is the one time in all of SAO where they can just relax doing something together that they enjoy and not be burdened with real life consequences.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Their only goal is to be by Kirito's side and assist him.

Which is, of course, the reason they were all hanging out TOGETHER and WITHOUT Kirito in ALO while he was engaged in GGO.

You seem to be insistent on inventing some rule of group friend dynamics without which what you are saying doesn't make sense. And no, a member of a group of kids does not have to have an AGENDA (as you insist on putting it) for any reason whatsoever other than they just want to be part of the gang. Get over it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Which is, of course, the reason they were all hanging out TOGETHER and WITHOUT Kirito in ALO while he was engaged in GGO.

Rofl. They were all hanging out together to watch Kirito perform and show his stuff. No matter how much you don't want to accept it, that is the primary purpose for these other girls being in the show, to be around Kirito, to be watching him, to provide him with companionship. They don't go off on their own and have adventures without him. That's not part of their purpose. Their purpose is to be his group of female companions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
Nice edit, but...wrong Laughing

It's never a good idea to try and predict shows based off of book material...lest you make yourself out to look silly by predicting things that the rest of us already know aren't true...

As I just said in another thread, speculating on where the story is going and what things mean along the way has always been half the enjoyment of watching stuff as it airs for me, but I've pretty much given up doing that with anything that isn't original material. People like you always come along and have to talk about what the novel or manga said or what was left out or changed or telling me I'm just completely off track.

Such "nyah, nyah, you're wrong, baka!" responses may not be actual spoilers, but they spoil the experience just the same by taking the fun out of guessing.

I know it will never happen (and would be impossible to enforce), but it would be nice if instead of having 2 discussion threads for most series now, they had one discussion thread for anime-only viewers and one for source -we know everything that's going to happen- material viewers. But no one would use the latter because there would be no poor ignorant souls to one-up with their knowledge. Attack on Titan's manga thread has all of 13 posts.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

As I just said in another thread, speculating on where the story is going and what things mean along the way has always been half the enjoyment of watching stuff as it airs for me, but I've pretty much given up doing that with anything that isn't original material. People like you always come along and have to talk about what the novel or manga said or what was left out or changed or telling me I'm just completely off track.

Such "nyah, nyah, you're wrong, baka!" responses may not be actual spoilers, but they spoil the experience just the same by taking the fun out of guessing.

I know it will never happen (and would be impossible to enforce), but it would be nice if instead of having 2 discussion threads for most series now, they had one discussion thread for anime-only viewers and one for source -we know everything that's going to happen- material viewers. But no one would use the latter because there would be no poor ignorant souls to one-up with their knowledge. Attack on Titan's manga thread has all of 13 posts.

It's ironic that Zac and (I believe Justin?) were just talking about these people in a recent ANNCast, and how annoying they can be when they are always trying to assert their superiority for having read novels/manga etc and lording it over people in an anime chat.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that problem is hardly limited to anime, though, and way predates the Internet. (Although admittedly the Internet has immensely exacerbated it.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to interrupt this colourful "debate" Wink
I'm not going about to go into any sort of depth about the current arc.

I pretty much just want to say that it was refreshing to see an episode where no one was going to 'get raped' or a desperate battle for 'life and death' took place.

The "Excalibur quest" is interesting enough but anytime that I get to see my favourite two SAO characters, Leafa and Sinon, share screen together can only be a good thing. Smile
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Sorry, I don't generally make a habit of that but the condescending edit was pretty much asking for it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
You do it all the time. But you're not alone. :/
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

You wouldn't be asking that if it was just a bunch of (straight) guys.

That is exactly my point. If it was a bunch of straight guys, they would all have their own agenda for being there and their own agency. This is just the nature of how things often work in anime between male characters and female characters, especially in a show that wants to allow for this type of set-up where the girls are there primarily for the companionship of the male protagonist.

If it was a bunch of straight guys, absolutely every female fan would be shipping them all together and you know it. Rolling Eyes
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Rofl. They were all hanging out together to watch Kirito perform and show his stuff.

Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. Episode 7, 17:36. Asuna, Leafa, Lizbeth, Silica, and Klein are all questing together without Kirito.

Incidentally, there is a spin off manga starring Leafa, Lizbeth, and Silica (plus a new character) and Kirito doesn't appear at all.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Rofl. They were all hanging out together to watch Kirito perform and show his stuff.

Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. Episode 7, 17:36. Asuna, Leafa, Lizbeth, Silica, and Klein are all questing together without Kirito.

Incidentally, there is a spin off manga starring Leafa, Lizbeth, and Silica (plus a new character) and Kirito doesn't appear at all.

Ohhh yea, that was the part where Klein nearly gets killed for being so ineffective. Then Asuna spaces out because she is thinking about Kirito. Then all the rest of the girls say "Ohhh yea, it makes sense you're spacing out Asuna, because Kirito is about to fight. We better hurry and go watch him!!" Then all the girls giggle and run along to go watch Kirito. Yea, that was totally a Kirito-less scene Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo.....has anyone told you that your sarcasm gets rather tiresome? >_>

Vaisaga has a valid point. This scene showed us that the girls and Klein didn't take a break from ALO just because Kirito was absent. They kept playing the game clearly because they like to play the game and they don't need Kirito to enjoy themselves.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even though such solo players could never achieve those things in real MMOs (raid bosses take large groups of 10-40 people), this is his fantasy character so he will make Kirito able to get whatever items he wants.

He never had Kirito soloing raid bosses, any time they came on a floor boss he would join in with a raid party to do it, he just had Kirito soloing as he leveled up, which is totally viable in most MMOs.

Quote:
I would have absolutely zero problem with all of the girls around Kirito if they were there for a discernible reason. If they had their own agendas and their own agency, I would probably enjoy it.

Well, it's not really an ensemble show, not every character gets their own personal arc, and that's ok. If an individual character is not deep enough for you, focus on the ones that are. It's worth noting that the other girls are not around "because Kirito wants them around," they are around for the same reason he is, to play the game they enjoy as a party. They even discussed in this episode their plans to go after various other legendary weapons, and Lizbeth discussed her goals to continue improving her crafting skills and make better ones.

Quote:

Maybe they just like the gang. Maybe they think Kirito is fun to be around -- always something interesting going on. Certainly some (all?) of them have lingering crushes on Kirito but they all formed some sort of bond with him in the story we have seen before. Maybe passionate romance isn't the be all end all of their ideas of their relationships to their male friends.

Yeah, and while most of them have some sort of crush on Kirito, they also recognize that nothing is going to come of it, so that's not why they stick around. They are not waiting in the friendzone.

Quote:

That is exactly my point. If it was a bunch of straight guys, they would all have their own agenda for being there and their own agency.

Not really. What's Klein's point? Or Egils when he's involved? There's no reason why they couldn't be straight guys who are just around to have fun.

Quote:
People aren't always just hanging out with one person because they like hanging out with him and want to help him out.

Remember this if nothing else. They are not "all hanging out with Kirito." They are all hanging out TOGETHER. This is essentially their defacto guild, and Lisbeth is as much hanging out with Silica and Asuna as she is hanging out with Kirito. Kirito is the most defining element of how they met, but is not the defining element of their friendship.

I myself have a portion of my friends that is made up of both males and females, some of whom knew each other before meeting me, and others not, and yet some of them met each other through me, are now all friends with each other. When we hang out together, it is not at my bidding, and there is no romantic interaction involved, we're just a group of friends.

Quote:
In SAO, these other girls don't. Their only goal is to be by Kirito's side and assist him.

Not really. We mostly see them while they are at Kirito's side because Kirito's side is where our camera lives, but presumably they go off and do all sorts of things on their own when we aren't watching them.

Remember that one scene from during the early part of the previous arc, where Kirito was off playing GGO or something? All the other "Kirito's harem" characters you talk about were off playing ALO together, without Kirito, doing their own thing and having fun entirely without him.

Quote:
Oh, that problem is hardly limited to anime, though, and way predates the Internet. (Although admittedly the Internet has immensely exacerbated it.)

On other boards I participate on, there are separate threads for the Game of Thrones TV show and for the books. Any discussion of things that might happen in the TV show due to the books must take place inside spoiler tags. This board is a bit more confusing because spoiler tags are sometimes used for events that have occurred in already aired episodes though.

I find that the better rule is, only spoiler tag things that haven't aired yet, anything that has aired you should be able to assume that people have caught up with the series before attempting to join the conversation (I know I always wait until I've watched the most recent episode, even if it takes me a few days).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I find that the better rule is, only spoiler tag things that haven't aired yet, anything that has aired you should be able to assume that people have caught up with the series before attempting to join the conversation (I know I always wait until I've watched the most recent episode, even if it takes me a few days).

From my understanding, the rule here seems to be to spoiler anything major to do with the current week, after a week of the airing you then can use your own discretion if you want spoiler tag something. If you have a spoiler from the source material, then make it clear that the spoiler is tagged as such, do something like: (light novel spoiler) spoiler[stuff]. People may take a look at the thread before watching the episode to have an idea of reactions to it, and that is fine. Sometimes before an episode I might take a look back at the discussion to remember what happened.

I think that I have even made the habit of saying that I am about to make a theory before spoiler tagging my theory, so there could even be a choice to avoid what I think is coming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 115