• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
To say it's not being treated 'maturely' means it's being treated 'immaturely,' which to me would mean making it a joke and undermining the seriousness of the issue. But it is being treated quite seriously. Perhaps it's not entirely accurate or realistic, but I think we can give it mature.

I don't accept your black and white interpretation. Think of mature and immature as two opposite ends of a spectrum as opposed to a coin where one is heads and the other talls. There is a whole range of behaviour in between the poles of mature and immature. So sure, SAO II isn't using PTSD to mine cheap laughs. That helps save it from being tagged completely immature. But it also doesn't vault it into mature territory, either. If the word mature is giving you a hard time how about we say that SAO II's treatment of PTSD is unsophisticated. As you would expect in a work of fun, escapist entertainment.

Bugnin wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I think that psychology degree on my wall elevates me above "random dude" level at the very least.

The mic has been officially dropped.

I'd be a little more impressed with Vaisaga's credentials if he hadn't suggested in this thread that simple behavioral modification techniques of the type that are sometimes used on people suffering relatively straightforward phobias (fear of spiders, etc) are also suitable for treating PTSD.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
...and now we've moved the goalposts yet again to "just because it's not immature doesn't mean that it's mature" territory...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
Nope, the goalposts have never changed: SAO II is not handling PTSD in a mature way, in my opinion. Full stop.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Kiri"ko" milking his mistaken fanboys was pure gold.

Best series this season for me so far. :p

..........and I was so certain Sailormoon would be. Ha, nope.
Saturday, hurry up and get here! GGO is fantastic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
The mic has been officially dropped.

Heh. Well, it's only an undergraduate degree so I'm not going to pretend that gives me any sort of clout. I just wanted it to be known that I do have some formal education in this field. I didn't just read some Wikipedia articles and acted like I knew what I was talking about.

Blood- wrote:
how about we say that SAO II's treatment of PTSD is unsophisticated.

Yeah, I can agree with not sophisticated. Not complex works too.

Blood- wrote:
I'd be a little more impressed with Vaisaga's credentials if he hadn't suggested in this thread that simple behavioral modification techniques of the type that are sometimes used on people suffering relatively straightforward phobias (fear of spiders, etc) are also suitable for treating PTSD.

Ah, I see where I made a mistake in my wording. When I said it was a "pretty standard treatment" I meant in general, not PTSD specifically. Such techniques might be one part of a multifaceted approach to treating PTSD, though. It all depends on the therapist and patient in question. There's no sure fire way that works on everyone to treat most of these disorders.

My point was that the methods Shino chose are based on actual therapeutical practises and not something she made up. Might not be the best or most effective way to treat her condition, but there are far worse ideas out there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. Looking forward to tomorrow's eppie but won't get a chance to see it until Monday at the earliest due to going away for the long weekend.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Heh. Well, it's only an undergraduate degree so I'm not going to pretend that gives me any sort of clout. I just wanted it to be known that I do have some formal education in this field. I didn't just read some Wikipedia articles and acted like I knew what I was talking about.

Which accounts for approximately 95.3% of internet users on average. Hell, even on a bad day I'd still make that assumption and probably hit the nail on the head.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Welp and spoiler[Death Gun strikes again. By this point, I think his motivation is to see the "real" Kirito. So in other words, I guess that means Sinon will become a victim for that plan.]

almost lol'd @ spoiler[Kirito and his lightsaber skills. I think some of the girls were even making a joke out of it since he is using a sword in a GGO world.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Let's just get straight to that cliffhanger ending.

Let's be realistic, spoiler[Sinon isn't going to be shot by Darth Death Gun]... If that was to happen then I would have a greater respect for SAO. The spoiler[shot at the end was either Kirito or another player firing on Death Gun/ Sinon. Wouldn't be surprised if it was "GunnerX".]

It was interesting that the spoiler[SAO players from Kirito's harem all recognised Death Gun as a member of Laughing Coffin] from just his catchphrase. Then again, it's probably not something you'd forget after experiencing SAO.

Bring on next week!

Last edited by Shikiari on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
A short recap through Asuna's & other ALO players eyes.
No way,spoiler[ DG avoided that shot]?! Impressive.
spoiler[DG killed] another player...
Wish they'd make a theory about how he manages to kill people through a game.
spoiler[Asuna & Klein] made the connection about who DG might be.
Not surprising since they were all in SAO..
spoiler[Sinon got used again, but she also got intrigued.]
Looks like both of them forgot the point of BoB.
DG is just more important.
Still, spoiler[Kirito & Sinon make a great team] whoever they fight.
Their spoiler[plan to ambush DG] went sideways.
spoiler[Sinon] was the one to get ambushed... not good.
Really don't like cliffhangers..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
The spoiler[shot at the end was either Kirito or another playing firing on Death Gun/ Sinon. Wouldn't be surprised if it was "GunnerX".]

I wouldn't either, but I'm betting on it being spoiler[Sinon who shot. All her trauma boiled up and overcame the paralysis at the last second to save her ass.]

I'm more intrigued by spoiler[the gun]. Haven't had time to ponder it much yet, but no explanation leaps out at me yet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm more intrigued by spoiler[the gun]. Haven't had time to ponder it much yet, but no explanation leaps out at me yet.

Link for handy reference.

No way DG is not cheating. He has admin privileges.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Pretty intense episode today though the one thing that bugs me is that Sinon didn't notice that the muzzle of the gun she saw had no suppressor or that the muzzle wasn't anything like the L96 gun DG was using.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
It was interesting that the spoiler[SAO players from Kirito's harem all recognised Death Gun as a member of Laughing Coffin] from just his catchphrase.

Are you actually implying that spoiler[Klein is part of Kirito's "harem," too?] Because that puts a whole new spin on things. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Kirito is Klein's type, remember.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 115