• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dance Revolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
Definitely getting the dub version of MariaHolic now. Worth it just ot hear Calvello and Rial together again.

I just cannot stand the Love Live series though. All the girls are just too bubbly and moe. And the main character just irritates the shit out of me. Not a fan.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Eureka seveN has been one of my all-time favorite series since I first saw it on [adult swim]. I still remember how the desperate tension of those last few episodes consumed me, and spending almost the entire week before the finale with speculation running rampant in the back of my mind. It was one of those extremely-rare pieces of entertainment that affected me on a fundamental level--maybe even changed me somehow--and that will stay with me for the rest of my life. It's one of those things that I sometimes wish I could un-watch, just so I could have that amazing first viewing all over again.

From a more technical standpoint, if anyone out there has bought FUNi's BD release, do you think it's worth double-dipping given that I own Bandai's singles? The show was from the digital-SD era, so presumably the BDs are just upscales, which I figure is what I'd be seeing on a decent upscaling BD player anyway.

Yeah, easily one of my favorite shows (along with Last Exile).

I'd say it's worth it, they are indeed upscales so it's obviously not going to be near as sharp as those for stuff made in or closer to HD and all reviews do indeed note at least some banding, but I think it looks quite good in motion on BD thanks to how vibrant the show has always been and quite a bit clearer than the old dvds. I think it's a pretty decent upgrade.

For other/more professional opinions, since there's no review of the video here yet, there is the short video section of the review over on fandompost (and several other mostly positive opinions on the forums) and another review with some video quality thoughts on blu-ray.com that has a short section talking about the video. Both are pretty positive about it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Once again I am weirded out that some people think rotoscoped dancing is not creepy....

Rotoscoped? I don't think that I've heard the term used with 3D models before, just the 2D stuff. I was presuming that the ugly CG versions of the characters danced via motion-capture...
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Actually one thing that i commend Love Live for is mixing regular animation in with the 3DCGI animations. Most shows just go the lame route and use the 3DCGI for the ENTIRE song but with Love Live it's usually only used when the screen pans in and out (basically when we see all the characters dancing onscreen at once). But I do enjoy the parts that focus on one or two dancers and I'd say they are near kyoani level with the consistent fluidness of their movements and very expressional faces.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I ended up double dipping for the E7 blu-rays and it was well worth it. I loved the series the first time I watched it but it is even better the second time around and I still have 6 episodes to go; wooh-hoo. I know most people hate him but Renton is one of my, if not my, favourite anime character; I love his development and I enjoyed his childishness, so many times I have smacked my forehead and said "damn I remember being that stupid" or "no wonder I used to piss people off as I would have said the same thing". This rewatch has solidified E7 in my top 10 if not in my top 5!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Actually one thing that i commend Love Live for is mixing regular animation in with the 3DCGI animations. Most shows just go the lame route and use the 3DCGI for the ENTIRE song but with Love Live it's usually only used when the screen pans in and out (basically when we see all the characters dancing onscreen at once). But I do enjoy the parts that focus on one or two dancers and I'd say they are near kyoani level with the consistent fluidness of their movements and very expressional faces.

I should hope so, Kyoani basically learned most of their techniques from working as inbetweeners for Sunrise for most of their history. They even sometimes still share staff to this day which is strange when you think about it. A lot of people have never heard about it before but here is a an example of the Sunrise smooth technique. Long before there was Kyoani and the like it was Sunrise that was always pushing the envelope on animation quality beyond their peers and it seems like they've gotten back to that level again in this decade.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why all the figures on the bottom shelf in the first pic are all facing backwards?
Quote:
Otherwise I'll just start posting pictures of my dog.

Well, that ought to really cut-down on submissions. Someone save us from this doggone date.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Excited to see what this LL! anime is all about. My girl and I have the first two JP BD volumes on the way right now. She's happy for the included subtitles so I won't have to explain whats going on while we are watching (having that slight issue with the Cardcaptor Sakura JP BDs right now...maybe I should have waited for the NIS America release?? Nah ;p) We have been playing the LL! mobile game daily. Juiced to see how many of the characters make an anime appearance.
Renshenzu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
I didn't like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex as a kid, but watching it again as an adult, I was really impressed with it. I also didn't like Eureka 7 as a kid, but having heard nothing but praise for the show, I'll be sure to look into Funi's release to see how I feel about it now.

I really enjoyed the first season of Love Live, and have been following the second season weekly since it's premier. The music is as good ever and the animation (especially the CGI) has improved, but I can't help agreeing with an earlier comment that the new season is at times unfocused. I'm still enjoying it, but pending a mind blowing season finale, I think I like the first season a little bit more.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
I need to watch Eureka 7. I remember back in middle school on a rerun of the first episode I put down my homework and watched it, afterwards thinking it was fantastic. That was the last time I saw it on [adult swim] until just recently with Toonami; I guess that they just wanted to show the first episode one last time before it was taken off the air. Years later I watched the first four episodes on a dvd from Netflix, but I didn't think much of it. I never saw more than that, so I was thinking of picking up this re-release.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
I've been wondering what the dub for Maria Holic would be like. I saw the first season, enjoyed it alright, and thought to myself that it could be great if dubbed right, but could easily backfire if done improperly. With this, maybe I'll upgrade my DVD purchase

and this is the reason why i skipped the first release. in the hopes to hopes that sentai would release it with an english dub. and the casting was preety obvious considering most of them are ADV vets and the company is the remnants of ADV. regardless, with this casting for the series it definitely will sell well enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2