• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
One can never have too much Antique Bakery[/b].... serious, Right Stuf, if you add the Korean movie to your Five Points line up, I'll probably bite.

Goong, which is a manhwa, got a live-action adaptation. That makes infinitely more sense as it's already a manhwa, but I saw it's on Crunchyroll now (titled [i]Princess Hours
). I mention Goong because that manhwa actually is available in English (and is made of crack). I was lucky, found it randomly for $12 at a used store. Haven't gotten around to it quite yet though.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
There's also a live action Taiwanese adaptation of Marmalade Boy with another of the F4 as Yu. I loved it, though that doesn't necessarily vouch for its quality, since that crazy Jackie Chan City Hunter is one of my favorites. Laughing
CrystalFragments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
I have watched many of these, honestly I love watching Asian adaptations however beware there are plenty of Asian adaptations that start out with promise and end in so much heartache. I am talking about the whole draw you in with comedy then drive you to emotional break with tragedy types. you have been warned.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:

katscradle wrote:
One of my favorites that isn't on the list is the Taiwanese version of MARS from Fuyumi Soryo's manga.
I remember watching that years ago on the International Channel or something.

Yes AZN Television broadcast it in the US. I hope Dramafever can pick it up, I like to watch it online. Also I would like to see a 2nd live-action adaptation, but done by South Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Mask

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
I gotta admit that I was surprised when I heard about a live-action adaptation of Hayate the Combat Butler.

They just did a rerun of Meteor Garden here in the Philippines. It really brought a lot of nostalgia for many Filipino viewers here. Even my colleagues at work would reminisce about how they used to be in high school when the show first aired here. And my mom would often tell me about how much fun she had when watching this show.

I got to watch part of City Hunter, only because my mom watches it during the evening drama timeslot. It was okay, but I'm not a huge fan. It is full of action, if I remember it right.

As for Hana Kimi, I know that the Taiwanese live-action series became popular here at some point. However, I thought the Japanese version was much more fun to watch. Then again, I only saw clips of these shows, not full episodes.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

Goong, which is a manhwa, got a live-action adaptation. That makes infinitely more sense as it's already a manhwa, but I saw it's on Crunchyroll now (titled Princess Hours). I mention Goong because that manhwa actually is available in English (and is made of crack). I was lucky, found it randomly for $12 at a used store. Haven't gotten around to it quite yet though.

I'm currently watching Goong/Princess Hours on Crunchyroll on my smart TV, that show is interesting. I can see why that show was so popular in Asia and Latin America. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
What about GTO?

shiranehito wrote:
The title of this article is "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Might Not Know About", but seriously, I'm not even a drama fan but I've already heard about all the dramas mentioned here. Consider changing the title to "Live-Action Korean & Taiwanese Adaptations of Manga You Probably Already Know"? Laughing

Most people might know about Boys Over Flowers, but Hayate Combat Butler? I don't think so.

I find it very hard to get into live-action dramas because all that cheesy melodrama, super silly, over the top comedy, and overacting that's tampered by pretty, pretty animation in anime fights my suspension of disbelief big time in live-action.

My father actually gets MNet, which plays some Asian (all Korean, as far as I can tell) dramas. I caught some of Reply: 1999 (I think?) And it was pretty good. But I also saw some of Vampire Prosecutor, and it was total cheese. Not surprising. I mean, what do you expect from a show called Vampire Prosecutor? Laughing

shiranehito wrote:
I think probably THIS you might not know about.
This manga Jin was adapted as Japanese TV series and Korean TV series
But again I don't think anyone here have even heard of the original source.

Now that sounds interesting! Like House in the Wild West? Speaking of House, has there ever been any drama series adaptations of Black Jack?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What about GTO?

There's only 2, all made in Japan. The 2nd one was a miniseries that take place in Taiwan, which you can watch on CR. I would love to see maybe South Korea to remake this, maybe get T.O.P of BigBang to play Onizuka.

Agent355 wrote:
I find it very hard to get into live-action dramas because all that cheesy melodrama, super silly, over the top comedy, and overacting that's tampered by pretty, pretty animation in anime fights my suspension of disbelief big time in live-action.

Well that's what I like about drama, I don't think even soap opera can't even match with K-drama. Call me when an American soap opera carried the tone and atmosphere on the same level as That Winter, the Wind Blows or a storyline that can rival Winter Sonata or You're Beautiful. Not even Spanish telenovelas could hold candle against K-dramas in term of production and storyline, it's no wonder why K-dramas are super popular in Latin America. Taiwanese dramas like Office Girls for example are also being exported/dubbed and shown in Latin America (Taiwan is cashing in on the K-drama popularity by doing this), they are also gaining the same popularity like their Korean counterpart. Call me when Brazil remake Boys over Flowers, and Love Rain.

Agent355 wrote:
My father actually gets MNet, which plays some Asian (all Korean, as far as I can tell) dramas. I caught some of Reply: 1999 (I think?) And it was pretty good. But I also saw some of Vampire Prosecutor, and it was total cheese. Not surprising. I mean, what do you expect from a show called Vampire Prosecutor? Laughing

Which one Reply 1997 (you can watch it on Hulu or Dramafever) or Reply 1994 (Hulu or Dramafever)???

Beside Mnet, I also watch K-dramas (that are not on Dramafever or CR or Hulu) on KBS World. KBS World has their own Youtube page. They upload some of their full-length episodes on their channel, and yes they are subtitled in English.

TV Novel: Eunhui

Wang's Family

TV Novel: Samsaengi

Melody of Love

There's couple more K-dramas on there, so there maybe some dramas you may enjoy from KBS World.

Agent355 wrote:
Now that sounds interesting! Like House in the Wild West? Speaking of House, has there ever been any drama series adaptations of Black Jack?

As far as I know, according to Wikipedia, there were several live-action adaptations of Black Jack done by Japan.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So, the cheesy over the top acting is a selling point? Are there more understated K-Dramas out there?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So, the cheesy over the top acting is a selling point? Are there more understated K-Dramas out there?

I'm not sure, but that's what I like about K-drama (and dramas in general), they're just different and very attractive to me. If you want, you could try dramas from Hong Kong, they don't always go over the top and they're diverse genre here you can try Beyond the Realm of Conscience (watch it on Dramafever) and Lives of Omission (avaliable on Dramafever). I don't know if it will fit your taste.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that before I watched K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas, my first dramas from Asia I watched was HK dramas like this (the 1983 version from TVB) and this (well they were dubbed in Vietnamese, my mother has to tell me what they're saying). So that's how I know about dramas from Hong Kong, used to watch a lot of it before K-dramas got super popular.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I think that Rooftop Prince and The Great Doctor (both available on Netflix last time I checked) are more understated in some of their drama moments, but I agree with mdo7 that it is part of what I like about them. It's also part of what makes them so addictive - I got my mother to start watching Tamra Island (available on Viki) with me, and by the end she answered the phone like this: "I can't talk, I'm finishing Tamra Island." *hang up* Her friend was somewhat surprised, to say the least. Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I think that Rooftop Prince and The Great Doctor (both available on Netflix last time I checked) are more understated in some of their drama moments, but I agree with mdo7 that it is part of what I like about them. It's also part of what makes them so addictive - I got my mother to start watching Tamra Island (available on Viki) with me, and by the end she answered the phone like this: "I can't talk, I'm finishing Tamra Island." *hang up* Her friend was somewhat surprised, to say the least. Laughing

Rooftop Prince is on Dramafever and Hulu BTW.

Same for Faith/The Great Doctor (on Dramafever and Hulu)

Tamra the Island is on Dramafever and Hulu.

I know another K-drama that is well understated try The Moon Embracing the Sun, it's avaliable on Dramafever, Hulu, and Crunchyroll. I'm watching this and I like the premise and the storyline (the philosophical meaning behind sun and moon is somewhat creative). If Japan wants to remake any good K-drama into a J-drama, The Moon embracing the Sun would be the one I would love to see getting a J-drama remake (hey why not they did it for You're Beautiful). Just move the setting from Joseon Korea to Edo Japan, The story will be the same but culturally attuned to Japanese culture, and for my cast for the remake:

Yuya Matsushita as Crown Prince Lee Hwon

Karina Nose as Heo Yeon-woo

Aoi Nakamura as Prince Yang-myung

Mao Inoue as Yoon Bo-kyung

I would really love Japan to remake that K-drama, if in return Korea can remake the J-drama, Summer Nude.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the recs! I notice that there is more than one show with time traveling doctors (which sounds pretty cool, tbh) and time traveling in general seems to be popular. It's interesting, because I can't think of too many anime with time travel as a central gimmick, and no time traveling doctors at all (but if anyone wants to steal my "House in the Wild West" fanfiction idea, go ahead, I'll read it!)
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Thanks for the recs! I notice that there is more than one show with time traveling doctors (which sounds pretty cool, tbh) and time traveling in general seems to be popular.

Oh no prob, let me know if you want me to find you more drama whether it's K-dramas or any Asian dramas.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Thanks for the recs! I notice that there is more than one show with time traveling doctors (which sounds pretty cool, tbh) and time traveling in general seems to be popular.
Time travel was kind of a fad in K-dramas in 2012 (also see Queen In Hyun's Man which is one of the best K-dramas I've ever seen).

Cerceaux wrote:
I love the Kimi wa Pet manga but I'm hesitant to watch the Korean movie because it looks kind of dumb and shallow and I just can't see Jang Keun Suk as Momo. Might check out the J-drama at some point though.
The Korean film You're My Pet is okay, kind of a cutesy-fluffy disposable romcom, if you pretend it's an unrelated story. But as an adaptation I felt it failed on so many levels, so far as to miss the point, and ultimately it comes off as just a star vehicle for Jang Geun Suk trying to be cute. The J-drama, Kimi wa Petto, though it doesn't get a chance to complete the story (it came out before the manga was finished), is definitely superior in that you get as sense for why these two people would find such solace in one another (and for the record, MatsuJun pulls off the sometimes-cute sometimes-sexy Momo way better).

Agent355 wrote:
Manga adaptations are generally not the place to look for "understated" but yes, there are other types of dramas out there.

I also just want to point out that Absolute Him, the Korean version of Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend, was never made. It was much-discussed back when it was announced (2008?) because it was supposedly going to star TOP (from Big Bang) but it never came to fruition. One suspects someone must've pointed out to him that he'd probably have to appear in little more than his skivvies (just like Hayami Mokomichi & Jiro Wang in the J- and T-dramas, respectively) and he balked. I'm sure that's not the real reason, but I think it's funny that they would try to cast a pop star notorious for not showing skin to play a sex-bot who starts the show with pretty much no inhibitions in the way of nudity.

Princess_Irene wrote:
I got my mother to start watching Tamra Island (available on Viki) with me, and by the end she answered the phone like this: "I can't talk, I'm finishing Tamra Island." *hang up* Her friend was somewhat surprised, to say the least. Laughing
Yep, that sounds about right for drama fans...

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3