• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Old West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm aware there are anime studio that uses computer (Production IG, Gonzo), but there are probably some studio that don't use computer at all.

Mdo7, regrettably, they all use computers now. As someone who enjoys collecting the artwork that these shows produce (the actual layouts, backgrounds, douga, etc.), it saddens me that the amount of artwork available now on Japanese auctions sites is nothing compared to the cel heyday of the 1990s and early 2000s.

I know I've said it before, but just because a studio uses computers does not mean that everything is done with computers. HeeroTX nailed it when he said that backgrounds are still largely done by hand. Very true; Studios like Madhouse still use hand painted backgrounds. Many studios also still draw, by hand, the characters on pieces of paper as they did in the old cel days. The only difference now is that the coloring and animating portion are done by computer. But there are still hand drawn layouts, douga and genga sketches floating around from these productions that you can find (and buy) for reasonable prices (like $10) on Japanese auction sites.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
(Also this doesn't really count because its a game but Yoko Takahashi's Wing Wanderer getting cut for the international release of Project x Zone)

It wasn't just the opening song. A lot of instrumental versions of sung opening themes for specific characters were cut too, like Bonnie Pink's Ring a Bell from Tales of Vesperia and Alan's Over the Clouds from God Eater Burst. In essence, the U.S. and European version of Project X Zone is really watered down audio-wise with one minor graphical edit (Bruno Delinger's outfit from Deka Dynamite being changed because of some weird fear about the Die Hard movie).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
The people that are able of finding this version comparisons on sites, I thank you.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
And nothing gives fanboys giant raging boners than proclaiming themselves to be better than other fans.
ERROR SPOTTED: Need to insert "more" in "boners than".

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I've been wanting to purchase the complete His & Her Circumstances DVD set. Is it any good? I've heard the reason the anime ended so abruptly was because the creator hated how it was turning into a comedy of sorts...
The series changed directors halfway through and became significantly LESS wacky. The result is oddly disjointed, but still interesting. Don't expect a complete story told in a conventional style.
Zalis116 wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I've been wanting to purchase the complete His & Her Circumstances DVD set. Is it any good?
It's roughly 18 or 19 episodes of brilliance followed by 7 or 8 episodes of recaps, extreme low-budget animation (e.g. cutouts on popsicle sticks in one episode), and a very open-ended "go buy the ongoing manga" conclusion.
This is very inaccurate - the first half of the series was troubled by ever-increasing flashbacks. Then there was a 1.5 ep recap to cover the changeover. The ending was fine.
Zalis116 wrote:
Though in some cases, the TV version can be an improvement; I wouldn't complain if Aniplex released the broadcast version of Nisekoi instead of the backgrounds-impaired home video version
Good Lord - why would they do that? Maybe the manga artist complained - "Give me back my generic backgrounds!"
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
I admit that a lot of Japanese voice actors and actresses would probably like to come to America to see this country and come to anime conventions themselves. They probably wouldn't mind an interpreter or two while they're here. In fact,the only two Japanese VAs I know of who know English well are Megumi Hayashibara and Yuki Kaida or Kudo or whatever the heck she's spelling her last name these days.
I'd love to ask either of them if they'd ever want to do an American cartoon if they were at a convention and not just dubbing it into Japanese.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Regarding US vs Japanese home video versions of anime, I have to ask you guys about one particular scene omission which has been bother me for quite literally 10 years.

Did anyone else watch Haibane Renmei when it was being fansubbed? I watched it after it started coming out over here on DVD, so I can't recall if the subs I watched were R2 DVD rips or Japanese TV rips. One really awesome scene I remember from this fansub involves what can only be described as spoiler[a funeral procession for Kuu] that takes place as the credits roll over top. I later rented the R1 DVDs from, and I was immediately taken aback with disappointment over the fact that this scene was omitted from the disc. The episode ends on little more than a simple prayer before the standard ED kicks in. The reason why everyone has their hoods up at the beginning of episode 7 is because of the omitted scene at the end of episode 6. What makes this all the more frustrating for me is that I can't find any footage of this scene on any streaming site anywhere on the internet, save for maybe a single YouTube link that's "not available in [my] country," so it's very hard for me to even so much as prove this scene even exists.

I'm probably a little late to be asking these, but:
1) Is this scene present on the FUNimation release of Haibane Renmei? I'm guessing it's not, because FUNi has this episode up on YouTube, and this scene is not there.
2) Is this scene present on the R2 DVD or even the Japanese BD release?
3) Does this scene not actually exist, and I was just imagining things for the past decade?
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
1) Is this scene present on the FUNimation release of Haibane Renmei? I'm guessing it's not, because FUNi has this episode up on YouTube, and this scene is not there.
3) Does this scene not actually exist, and I was just imagining things for the past decade?

I probably won't be much help, but checking the Japanese BD and Russian DVD releases I have to hand shows a procession preceding the regular ED. It seems to be the same one that's in Funimation's YouTube channel, though I can't open the video to check.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The Pioneer DVDs and FUNi's YouTube channel certainly end the episode you posted, jymmy. The scene which I recall watching so long ago happens after that, and is more ritualistic than just bowing their heads and closing their eyes as Reki looks on. So *if* what I remember actually exists, it would have only been on the broadcast version. But what really stands out in my memory is the fact that it was a scene that played out as the credits were rolling. It could very well be possible that the broadcast version of episode 6 is the same as the DVD but with the credits rolling over the last scene instead of the ED, and that I'm just remembering the scene itself incorrectly. I've been told that episodes were aired in bi-weekly pairs after episode 5, so that might have caused some other changes in the way the episodes aired.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, there you go. I'd be interested in seeing it if you ever manage to dig it up.
BL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
....Did anyone else watch Haibane Renmei when it was being fansubbed? I watched it after it started coming out over here on DVD, so I can't recall if the subs I watched were R2 DVD rips or Japanese TV rips. One really awesome scene I remember from this fansub involves what can only be described as spoiler[a funeral procession for Kuu] that takes place as the credits roll over top.....The episode ends on little more than a simple prayer before the standard ED kicks in. The reason why everyone has their hoods up at the beginning of episode 7 is because of the omitted scene at the end of episode 6. What makes this all the more frustrating for me is that I can't find any footage of this scene on any streaming site anywhere on the internet, save for maybe a single YouTube link that's "not available in [my] country," so it's very hard for me to even so much as prove this scene even exists.

I'm probably a little late to be asking these, but:

Space Butler XIII wrote:
The Pioneer DVDs and FUNi's YouTube channel certainly end the episode you posted, jymmy. The scene which I recall watching so long ago happens after that, and is more ritualistic than just bowing their heads and closing their eyes as Reki looks on. So *if* what I remember actually exists, it would have only been on the broadcast version. But what really stands out in my memory is the fact that it was a scene that played out as the credits were rolling. It could very well be possible that the broadcast version of episode 6 is the same as the DVD but with the credits rolling over the last scene instead of the ED, and that I'm just remembering the scene itself incorrectly. I've been told that episodes were aired in bi-weekly pairs after episode 5, so that might have caused some other changes in the way the episodes aired.

I logged into Funimation's EVS and checked out the episodes you mentioned.
What I found is this:
In episode 6 when the group realized that it was Kuu's time Kana wanted to see her one last time but Reki was worried they would get lost. It was decided that they all would go and say goodbye but before they left Kana turned the bell tower on so the ringing would guide them back home. It was raining so they wore their hooded raincoats. Unfortunately it was too late and they were all sad to have missed her the group then took Kuu's halo and placed it on a stone sculpture were they said their goodbyes while the tower bell can be heard ringing in the background. The picture jymmy
jymmy wrote:
posted is of this scene and I would say it took place somewhat before during and after what you're describing if that makes sense. Episode 6 ends with Reki saying something like "Everybody leaves me." there were no one in hoods in the background of the ending credit.

Episode 7 begins with Rakka waking up from sleeping in a chair and remembering what took place the night Kuu left. Her flash back shows them walking back home with their hooded raincoats on.

I think what I watched is similar to what you're describing. As for the ending credit rolling over the scene it could be that the TV station started the ending credits early it which happens sometimes hope this helps.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
@Space Butler XIII:

Fortunately, the Haibane Renmei TV-fansubs were available for a brief window awhile back. I played the broadcast version of the end of ep 06 side-by-side with the R1 (Pioneer) DVD, and that scene played out the same in both versions, aside from the credits not playing over the action in the DVD version. The broadcast version just cuts off and ends without playing the ED, presumably because of time constraints. The DVD plays the normal ED after Reki's last line and the pan-up towards the moon. And in checking the Blu-Ray (or at least a rip thereof), I'm not seeing any differences there, either.

Though there were some differences between the Haibane Renmei TV broadcasts and the disc versions -- the broadcast had slightly more "quirky" previews paired with 3D CG animations of the characters, whereas the disc versions have more somber previews over scenes from the next episode, and on the Pioneer release are only included as menu-accessible extras. I don't know if they made it over to Funi's inevitable 2-disc re-release, though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
People buy anime from Japan just to brag about it? Yikes. I hope they can at least enjoy some of the content on the discs ;p
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
A relatively early example (2000–2001) of the North American release of an edited version and then of an uncut version was Sakura Diaries. The television cut was released by ADV, fans protested, and in response ADV released the original, uncut OAV version.

Answerman wrote:
For more info on job titles within anime production, I highly recommend Jan Scott Frazier's excellent Anime Job Titles glossary.

For more on the subject, see:

Appendix:Japanese film credit terms at Wiktionary
Wikipedia:WikiProject Japan/Film credits glossary
"Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks"—Encyclopedia forum thread from 2010, especially this post

On the subject of making anime in general:

• AIC's Introduction of anime production
• Sunrise's The Making of Animation (Take-01)
Anime production process - feature film at Production I.G
Cindy Yamauchi Part I—discusses the animation process from the point of view of a veteran animation director
"Japanese animation theory"—an AniPages Discussion Forum thread with Peter Chung discussing the animation techniques of anime, etc., at length

"Anime Production - Detailed Guide to How Anime is Made and the Talent Behind it!", a post on Washi's Blog, is also good, though since it includes at least one link to a fan subbing site I'm not going to link to it.

See in addition Animation Runner Kuromi and Animation Runner Kuromi 2, which depict the workings of a fictional anime studio.

Lastly, Megumi Hayashibara's manga Ashita ga aru sa: Sweet Time Express (AKA Megumi Toons) is an autobiographical look into the seiyū side of the anime business.

Kadmos1 wrote:
[p. 1] The Kare Kano edits can be scene here go going to the Wayback Machine and typing in animeprime.com/reports.

The (now also dead) mirror of Anime Prime's No Editing Zone is also still available at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130802050528/http://animeprime.burntoutcomic.com/edit/index.shtml

An attempt to update the site with newer hentai reports is to be found in the AnimeNation Hentai forum thread "Edited & censored hentai releases?".

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
[p. 1]
Quote:
the Japanese publishers are always reluctant to let the overseas release of an anime be as good as the far more expensive Japanese versions

That's what killed hentai licensing. It wasn't dropping sales, online piracy, it was just Japan fearing that its domestic audience wouldn't buy the domestic product and opt for the unquestionably superior Western product.

For a summary of the views of Chris Beverage (founder of Anime on DVD, and then The Fandom Post) on this, see my thread "The state of the North American hentai industry" on AnimeNation's Hentai forum.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
[p. 1 con't.]
As for other American-supported sequels, don't you dare forget the eternal fan favorite: Burn Up! Yeah, all of the sequels are trash, but I think that initial OVA gets ragged on way too much, I would have loved to see that story with those designs continued in the way of BGC.

I too like Mon-Mon's designs. Twisted Evil

jr0904 wrote:
[p. 4]
i would necessarily say its true. sure some VA might get intimidated since NY & LA are target central for street gangs and terrorists, but if it was really that scary, then ADV Films would have never gotten Imari to voice as Minmay for the Macross series.

I assume you mean Mari Iijima, who is a poor example since she has been living in Los Angeles since 1989.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
For a summary of the views of Chris Beverage (founder of Anime on DVD, and then The Fandom Post) on this, see my thread "The state of the North American hentai industry" on AnimeNation's Hentai forum.

'the Japanese companies are only releasing "crap"'
What total bull. There's plenty of material over the last few years that's been solid platinum, because even gold ain't enough. Forget Pixy titles, since they're already the creme, but you've got all those Saimin titles, you've got amazing PoRo stuff, you've got goddamn KuroInu and that Oyakodon doujin eroanime from 2012 that was just divine, and there's several more than I cannot even think of right now. Anyone who says hentai is crap today doesn't like hentai.

I guess he meant it in the way Japanese companies are only "licensing out" crap, which makes more sense. Yeah, they've giving the dregs they didn't care about and probably didn't sell domestically.

though he likes Project-H's manga—its variety and lack of nastiness, that it is lighter fare.

Gross. We have entire scan groups dedicated to nasty stuff, why should we let a few people in charge determine what other people can and can't have. In that regard, the Fakku/Wani deal makes me glad, because Jacob's repeated several times in no uncertain terms that nothing would be left out. Whether or not he's a liar is up to the future to determine.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

'the Japanese companies are only releasing "crap"'
What total bull. There's plenty of material over the last few years that's been solid platinum, because even gold ain't enough. Forget Pixy titles, since they're already the creme, but you've got all those Saimin titles, you've got amazing PoRo stuff, you've got goddamn KuroInu and that Oyakodon doujin eroanime from 2012 that was just divine, and there's several more than I cannot even think of right now. Anyone who says hentai is crap today doesn't like hentai.

I guess he meant it in the way Japanese companies are only "licensing out" crap, which makes more sense. Yeah, they've giving the dregs they didn't care about and probably didn't sell domestically.

Since you seem to have missed it, please read further into the linked thread for the definition of "crap".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8