• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
2. leatherhead333, I think that, in regards to the compatibility issue, you have it backwards: it wasn't that he thought it was cool and so became compatible with it, but rather *because* he was compatible with it that he thought it was so cool.

Since the imperial arms have a degree of sentience, it's more like "You think I'm cool? Kid, I like you!"

leatherhead333 wrote:
And what kind of heroes rape people? Those are people who simply take advantage of their status and strength to oppress people within their means. You protect the people so you can rape them? Ladies and Gentlemen those are TRUE heroes!

History is written by the victors. I mean, you guys do celebrate a holiday named after a man who caused the deaths of 100 million Native Americans, ya know.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Do some research on how many people that they killed and raped. Mongols were knew to kill the entire city that they capture. One story goes Genghis Khan wanted to trade with the Khwarezmid Empire. He sent some ambassadors to ask for a trade agreement. Khwarezmid Empire killed the ambassadors and took all the goods.
Genghis Khan then sacked the Khwarezmid Empire and killed ten of millions of muslim for revenge.

I am guessing it was a plot where his generals just wanted to use their sky fortresses, and they plotted the assassination?
Bugnin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
2. leatherhead333, I think that, in regards to the compatibility issue, you have it backwards: it wasn't that he thought it was cool and so became compatible with it, but rather *because* he was compatible with it that he thought it was so cool.

Since the imperial arms have a degree of sentience, it's more like "You think I'm cool? Kid, I like you!"

leatherhead333 wrote:
And what kind of heroes rape people? Those are people who simply take advantage of their status and strength to oppress people within their means. You protect the people so you can rape them? Ladies and Gentlemen those are TRUE heroes!

History is written by the victors. I mean, you guys do celebrate a holiday named after a man who caused the deaths of 100 million Native Americans, ya know.

Columbus didn't cause the deaths of 100 million Native Americans, unless you're going to blame him for everything done by those that followed him, in which case you trace blame back as far as you want to the beginning of time. History suggests he wasn't exactly a good guy, but he wasn't hitler, either.

Everyone rapes everyone too, apparently.

As far as any of that nonsense relates to the show, there are anime out there with moral grey areas. This show is hardly one of them. While the protagonists themselves admit to not being saints, the people they fight/kill are shown to be murderous psychopaths. The very best you can say is it provides a lesser of two evils, and even that's putting lipstick on a pig.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
I celebrate Columbus Day by barging into some strangers house and declaring I live there now.

I don't actually do that, but that's what I tell people to do every year
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I celebrate Columbus Day by barging into some strangers house and declaring I live there now.

They also need to become good Christians and show where all the gold is.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
getchman wrote:

They also need to become good Christians and show where all the gold is.

And contract small pox.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Please keep the focus on the show, not real world history.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Awww I thought the current topic was very productive..... Wink
thebeats42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Awww I thought the current topic was very productive..... Wink

It certainly is interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Good episode. I think spoiler[Wave would be my 2nd favorite character from the Jeagers besides Esdese with their debut. Otherwise, I notice they covered quite a bit and ended with a cliffhangerish ending. I like how they gave Bols an enhanced voice effect though. ]

Next week's episode should be amusing because of that PV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Tatsumi! You lucky b******!

Haha, I just had a feeling spoiler[Esdeath was going to fall for him.] He's just too innocent and pure for his own good. It's good to see him training hard and using spoiler[Bulat's death] as a reason to get stronger. The look on Tatsumi's face when Esdeath pulled a spoiler[collar and chain] from her cleavage was great. I bet he wasn't expecting that!

Next week's preview looked... Ahem.. Interesting... Give in to temptation spoiler[Tatsumi]. Odds of living in this world aren't particulary high so you may as well "enjoy" yourself while you've got the chance. Though I'd be petrified of disappointing spoiler[Esdeath], especially with that spoiler[Ice Imperial Arms] of hers. Shocked

On another note, I quite liked spoiler[Wave]. I can see him and spoiler[Tatsumi] getting along, if that's at all possible.

Last edited by Shikiari on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Tatsumi needs to train more to be able to use that armor.
Another naive youth comes to the big city.
Shame he's on the wrong side.
Seems like a nice guy.
Esdeath forms a new team - the Jaegers.
Judging by Esdeath's demands for her "husband", Tatsumi is the perfect for her.
That arena battle got Tatsumi noticed by Esdeath.
He just got himself a collar.
I bet she's into S&M and serious bondage.
LOL "poor" Tatsumi..
Nice episode.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, episode 9 got me every which way. It had (1) feels, as we were spoiler[still contemplating Bulat's (and Sheele's) deaths]; it had (2) humor/comedy, during the training scene (I just loved Akame's comment about how Leo girl was twice as heavy as her ;0 and the reaction of her getting hit on the head) and absolutely hilarious moments when the new jaeger group was being introduced... that masked creeper guy staring at Wave was pure comic gold; and then (3) some nice action from spoiler[Esdeath and the mini tournament at the end. Plus, the twist at the end (which we all sort of saw coming, but it was still fantastic, and I don't think anyone anticipated the chain and collar lol).]

This show is clearly my top show for 2014 right now. It's got the mixture of violence and comedy, and the kind of dark but still hopeful (and VERY relevant) story that we generally saw in Kill la Kill, but the story makes sense, no characters are wasted, and nothing is overdone which I think sets it noticeably above KlK. All of the main cast are the type of characters I want to learn more about and see what happens to them. Plus, the show seems quite adept at adding new characters to the main cast on the fly and they fit in perfectly. All of these new jaeger people seem like awesome characters to me, and it will be very interesting to see how they interact with Night Raid.

If they continue at this rate, it's undoubtedly reaching for an excellent rating at a minimum.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
Tatsumi! You lucky b******!

Oh, yeah. Lucky to become the captive collared toy of the most sadistic mass murder and torturer in the kingdom.

Man. Some guys that never get any seem to imagine it is worth anything. Trust me it ain't.

I rather like some of the new guys. But how did the doofus seaman Wave manage to score an Imperial Arms? Anyway I am not looking forward to seeing them go down.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This episode makes me feel without a doubt if this was a lighthearted fighting shounen show I would infinitely like it better. The comedy managed to hit a lot of high notes for me here. I didn't really have feels forspoiler[ Bulat] but it's nice that they acknowledged him.

New villains are a good riot even though I know most of them will turn sadistic later (I have a good feeling about Wave since he's basically a Tatsumi clone). I thought the romantic ordeal with Esdeath and Tatsumi is humorous though as always I'm not really a fan of the impeding sexual assault that will take place.

I still think the focus way to much on trying to make the villains vile pieces of garbage. We find out that Esdeath spoiler[enjoys war so much that she will extent them as long as possible for her own pleasure.] Come on now. I really wanted to like someone here =(.

I did not suspect that the Night Raid boss was spoiler[friends with Esdeath] but knowing this show that's setting up a death flag for when they eventually meet up again and fight (similar to spoiler[Bulat] actually).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 35