• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aldnoah.Zero (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If Inaho has a weakness it's that he lives in the moment, only planning his way out of situations as he finds himself in them.

On the other hand, it is rather impressive to see how well Slaine is planning for the long term. He's being pretty smart about it and it's going well for him so far. Quite the change from when his sole characteristic was that he got hard for royal booty.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
He's being pretty smart about it and it's going well for him so far. Quite the change from when his sole characteristic was that he got hard for royal booty.

One of the only things I'll agree with you on. It feels great that everyone who was claiming that he was only fighting for the princess can keep their traps shut. Wink

Episode 4

Hurray for Marito's return! The only character on the earth's side I like (Inaho's sister is alright too, even if she's just the worrying sister it's easy to see where she's coming from not wanting him to fight). I do like how they are handling the issue with his PTSD. Most of the time it spoiler[hinders him but now he's able to use it to his advantage.] I don't think they will implement the magical "you are suddenly over a traumatic experience" which is fine by me.

I think Aldnoah is going through a midlife crisis. Every once in a while we'll get character driven moments but they always get interrupted by the arbitrary action or military mombo jumbo. They kind of dragged this episode's fight out for no reason. We all know who was going to save the day. Heck one of the dude's ran into the tornado like an idiot. It's confirmed that lab rats are smarter than these people. Even I thought about thespoiler[ "attack from above" strategy before the other characters did.] At least spoiler[Marito and Inaho's sister were useful in this fight as they held off their opponent pretty well but I still wish they'd have won without Inaho's help] (continued lack of targeting systems is making me cringe).

It's like the writers don't know any other formula. I generally enjoy this show despite how much I complain about it but it's actually getting really stale in comparison to last season which was able to break up the action better.

I'm really not sure about how the Martians justice system works. Slaine had a clear motive for murdering the Count. There is no reason NOT to suspect him when the count died RIGHT after Slaine was promoted in status. The timing is way to coincidental. Even if they don't have hard evidence not having anyone/anything watching his every move is a hardly a reasonable action to take. Heck I like that Slaine is a respected badass now but he's getting off way to easy in my opinion.

Going by their battle stats I think Saazbaum's death should have raised more than a few eyebrows. Slaine was already a pretty well established warrior before his promotion. He hadn't lost a single fight and has saved his comrades many times already. If you add this with Saazbaum who was not only a very competent warrior but has one of the most OP mechs in the show I have a hard time seeing either of them biting it without foul play.

PLUS wouldn't it be strange that Slaine was the ONLY person to witness his end? I mean if something like this happened on earth you'd have the police on your ass in a heartbeat lol. Maybe titles hold more weight on mars which I suppose would explain the lack of surveillance but it should still be properly investigated instead of being dropped because he's too popular.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't see where you're getting that Slaine was the only one to witness Saazbaum's end. Another Martian Kataphrakt was shown in Saazbaum's vicinity earlier in the scene so they weren't the only two out there, and unless they had gone out of LOS of the base the fight could have been monitored from there, too.

Also, you forget that Slaine was a total nobody before 19 months (so few would have known much about his affiliations) AND most probably aren't in on the secret about Asseylum's status and thus probably not aware that Saazbaum had a hand in orchestrating her attempted assassination. Hence the other Orbital Knights probably don't have as much grounds for suspicion as you might think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I still don't see why Inaho's magic eye was necessary unless his mech is custom built with long range sensors and the eye simply interfaces efficiently (then this is a fault of the narrative not mentioning Inaho's mech had such work done).]

It wasn't. spoiler[What was necessary was someone firing from directly above the target, and high enough to not get knocked out of the air by the wind/gravity effects, so basically someone in orbit. The Deucalion was such a vehicle, and Inaho is obviously their best sniper, so he took point on it. Other people could have done the job had Inaho not been available, but he's clearly the best for it. And keep in mind, this was Marito's plan. It wasn't like they were like "omg, we can't do this, help us Inaho!" They just needed a tool to take the shot, and Inaho was that tool.]

Quote:
When one actually takes the time to think about it, if the object survived re entry it would probably have enough kinectic force to cause an explosion that would rival a MOAB detonation

Not really. People have been hit in the head by Meteors before and not been significantly harmed by it. The bullet survived, it was apparently that tough (and I imagine a DU round would be plenty), but by the time it landed it likely would have ablated significantly and been slowed by air friction. The sort of scif-fi gravitational impact weapons that have been proposed are typically much larger than that. The real trick to that scenario was aiming properly to correct for wind, gravitational flux around the target, and re-entry knocking it off course, but presumably that's within Inaho's computer's capabilities.

Quote:

One of the only things I'll agree with you on. It feels great that everyone who was claiming that he was only fighting for the princess can keep their traps shut. Wink

One, when we said it, it was true. That it changed now doesn't make us wrong at the time. And even still, we don't know what his endgame is, they've given hints that it may still be "do whatever it takes to secure the princess and let everything else burn if need be," the main thing that's changed from season one is that he actually seems to be considering the long game, rather than just constantly panicking from one catastrophe to the next.

Quote:

Also, you forget that Slaine was a total nobody before 19 months (so few would have known much about his affiliations) AND most probably aren't in on the secret about Asseylum's status and thus probably not aware that Saazbaum had a hand in orchestrating her attempted assassination. Hence the other Orbital Knights probably don't have as much grounds for suspicion as you might think.

I think they do have their suspicions, but in war criminal prosecutions on the battlefield can be a very difficult thing, and it would seem not worth arresting him without any evidence. And those that did see the fight could report that the attacks didn't come from Slaine (even if we know better, there's almost no way they could figure that out on their own).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:

And you said that he had been converted by Saabzaum into following his plight when we saw here that Slaine never had loyalty to him. Slaine used the man who was most pushing for the plight of taking control and supposedly equalising the people, and stabbed him in the back to take his position. He even had the plan to finish off the enemies with no loss so that he could deflect criticism.

Slaine is considering the endgame and what he plans is to protect the princess, that is why he is getting power through a plan.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Don't see where you're getting that Slaine was the only one to witness Saazbaum's end. Another Martian Kataphrakt was shown in Saazbaum's vicinity earlier in the scene so they weren't the only two out there, and unless they had gone out of LOS of the base the fight could have been monitored from there, too.

If there were other witnesses wouldn't they find it strange that Slaine just stood there doing NOTHING to help Saazbaum before his mech was destroyed? They ought to know his mech can see into the future so it wouldn't be hard for me to believe they could easily suspect him more. Also aren't conversations recorded? Couldn't they simply check his mech listening to the conversations he had during that fight? It would be pretty damning evidence since Slaine outright stated his betrayal before killing Saazbaum.

DuskyPredator wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

And you said that he had been converted by Saabzaum into following his plight when we saw here that Slaine never had loyalty to him. Slaine used the man who was most pushing for the plight of taking control and supposedly equalising the people, and stabbed him in the back to take his position. He even had the plan to finish off the enemies with no loss so that he could deflect criticism.

Slaine is considering the endgame and what he plans is to protect the princess, that is why he is getting power through a plan.

Eh I'm pretty sure has already stated why he's fighting. The "Let's created a better world for people like us" line should have made that clear. Also in this episode you should have noticed that he still makes references to Saabazaum showing he is following in his footsteps and didn't exactly feel good about his choice to betray him. Slaine never had a goal in the first place until Saabazaum came along so I'd say he's following the same path. You act like he simply backstabbed him with no remorse for his actions which he clearly showed he did. Whatever Slaine's endgame is requires him slowly raising in status. I personally think he plans to find a way to become the new emperor.

He can't exactly change the system of the Martians if he's a mere grunt. But by proving himself in the war he is able to climb the ranks more quickly than he could if the worlds were at peace. Eventually he will gain trust from the Emperor (who is most likely going to die soon) who will pass his power over Aldnoah to him since he continues to prove his loyalty and leadership. Which when you think about it makes even more sense since that's EXACTLY what Saabazaum was to the Emperor in the first season. Saabazaum was pretty much controlling the Emperor's actions because of how much trust he had in him. I believe that was Saabazum's end game as well (even if he did have other motivations at the time).

Ohoni wrote:

Quote:

One, when we said it, it was true. That it changed now doesn't make us wrong at the time. And even still, we don't know what his endgame is, they've given hints that it may still be "do whatever it takes to secure the princess and let everything else burn if need be," the main thing that's changed from season one is that he actually seems to be considering the long game, rather than just constantly panicking from one catastrophe to the next.

First of all no it wasn't. Slaine has done so many things to contradict that statement even before recent episodes that I've explained many times already. It came to absolutely no surprise to me that he had other goals in mind besides protecting the princess. Has nothing to do with me being a Slaine fanboy either. I've simply been one of the few people who has never biased hatred towards him was able to look at this character beyond the mere surface. Not something I can do for Inaho though Wink

Second by your logic someone estimating that the world is going to end based on their own indications is ONLY wrong when the world DOESN'T end on the day say it will. Wrong is wrong. It's not like the anime made this a shocking asspull reveal. If it did I would sort of agree with you. But they've been giving hints this entire time so I don't see your point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Eh I'm pretty sure has already stated why he's fighting. The "Let's created a better world for people like us" line should have made that clear. Also in this episode you should have noticed that he still makes references to Saabazaum showing he is following in his footsteps and didn't exactly feel good about his choice to betray him. Slaine never had a goal in the first place until Saabazaum came along so I'd say he's following the same path. You act like he simply backstabbed him with no remorse for his actions which he clearly showed he did. Whatever Slaine's endgame is requires him slowly raising in status. I personally think he plans to find a way to become the new emperor.

He can't exactly change the system of the Martians if he's a mere grunt. But by proving himself in the war he is able to climb the ranks more quickly than he could if the worlds were at peace. Eventually he will gain trust from the Emperor (who is most likely going to die soon) who will pass his power over Aldnoah to him since he continues to prove his loyalty and leadership. Which when you think about it makes even more sense since that's EXACTLY what Saabazaum was to the Emperor in the first season. Saabazaum was pretty much controlling the Emperor's actions because of how much trust he had in him. I believe that was Saabazum's end game as well (even if he did have other motivations at the time).

But if he just cared about helping the equality then he simply could have had Saazbaum be the one to follow the plan, especially since you said the Slaine is following his beliefs. Saazbaum was already highly respected and even had influence over the emperor, was more likely to achieve whatever Slaine wants in comparison if it is simply help the people.

The reason Slaine felt a bit remorse was because he had been named his son, that a son killing their father is a sad thing. But it does not mean that Slaine did not want to kill him, Slaine said he never had loyalty to him.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
If the argument is over weather or not Slaine's actions have been "Villainous", then YES he has been acting like a villain.
The point of his character arc atm is that he is walking a dark path and he knows it, his goal is to make a world that would be worthy of Asseyleum's ideals, the problem in universe is that the world is also going about in the manner that Saazbaum has described a ruling cast full of duplicity and petty violence that results in the death or forced subjugation of millions both on Earth and Mars.

There is no doubt Slaine is going to get his hands much more bloody and possibly to the point that it doesn't justify the long term goal.

Just as well the second season so far has established is that Slaine is thinking more than just "how to win the next battle" Slaine is planning for how to win his "war" even if said war is effectively against two worlds.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

If there were other witnesses wouldn't they find it strange that Slaine just stood there doing NOTHING to help Saazbaum before his mech was destroyed?

It's chivalry. Saazbaum wanted a one on one fight, and while he might not have been that annoyed if Slaine helped out, it would not be considered necessary. By the time the fight was clearly going downhill for him, Slaine could reasonably claim that there wasn't much he could have done.

Quote:
Also aren't conversations recorded? Couldn't they simply check his mech listening to the conversations he had during that fight? It would be pretty damning evidence since Slaine outright stated his betrayal before killing Saazbaum.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. If they do, it probably wouldn't be hard to remove those conversations from the recorder.

Quote:

Eh I'm pretty sure has already stated why he's fighting. The "Let's created a better world for people like us" line should have made that clear. Also in this episode you should have noticed that he still makes references to Saabazaum showing he is following in his footsteps and didn't exactly feel good about his choice to betray him.

An important thing to remember is that we never hear Slaine's internal monologue. All we ever hear is him discussing his views with other characters. Could this accurately reflect what he really believes? Sure. Could each of these situations just be him blowing smoke at the listeners, telling them what he believes will earn their loyalty? Also sure. We know for a fact that he's snowing Lemrina, since he knows she wants to believe he's interested in her, while we have every reason to believe that he's still hung up on Asseylum.

Again, it is possible that he's being genuine and his primary goal is to create a more equal society, but it's also possible that this is just a stepping stone to his other goal of living happily ever after with the princess, and that if the former goal conflicted with the latter, he would abandon it in a heartbeat.

Quote:

Second by your logic someone estimating that the world is going to end based on their own indications is ONLY wrong when the world DOESN'T end on the day say it will. Wrong is wrong. It's not like the anime made this a shocking asspull reveal. If it did I would sort of agree with you. But they've been giving hints this entire time so I don't see your point.

No, my point is, from episode 1 to at the least episode 10 or so, his goal was 100% Princess focused. None of this "greater good of Martians" nonsense. Anyone who said at that point that this was all that Slaine was about would have been right, because at that time, it was right. In the last couple episodes, one could argue that he was at least beginning to think about other priorities, but even in 11-14 he was clearly making decisions with the safety of the princess in mind over any other considerations. It's only once he's in space that he begins to seriously appear motivated by other goals, and even now it's debatable whether those represent his true motivations.

Look, it's like you have this runner, right? And he's not a terribly good runner, middle of the pack stuff. And you keep shouting "he's the best runner in the world! He's the fastest man alive!" and so on. And he's definitely not. But then he does a lot more training, gets bigger muscles and better technique, and now he is the fastest man alive, faster than the other runners. That does not mean that people that disagreed with you before were wrong, or that you were right. At the time, they were right and you were wrong, but circumstances changed. Nobody ever said that Slaine was incapable of growing into a more well-rounded character, just that in s1 he was not there yet, and no reason to assume that he definitely would be.

Quote:

The point of his character arc atm is that he is walking a dark path and he knows it, his goal is to make a world that would be worthy of Asseyleum's ideals, the problem in universe is that the world is also going about in the manner that Saazbaum has described a ruling cast full of duplicity and petty violence that results in the death or forced subjugation of millions both on Earth and Mars.

The thing is, if Slaine was really interested in "world peace" and all that, he doesn't really need to play the long game, given how strong his mech is. All he'd need to do is take it out for a training sortie when the other knights are at base, and then wreck havoc on their base like he did the Terran one. Most of their mechs are worthless when not turned on, and they could never get them activated in time. He could wipe out the vast bulk of their military force, and then join forces with the Terrans to clean them up. This would be what the princess would want too.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The thing is, if Slaine was really interested in "world peace" and all that, he doesn't really need to play the long game, given how strong his mech is. All he'd need to do is take it out for a training sortie when the other knights are at base, and then wreck havoc on their base like he did the Terran one. Most of their mechs are worthless when not turned on, and they could never get them activated in time. He could wipe out the vast bulk of their military force, and then join forces with the Terrans to clean them up. This would be what the princess would want too.

Thanks to Inaho's actions in S1, Slaine at the very least trusts Terrans less than he trusts Martian aristocrats.

There is also the nature that Slaine has been playing his current "game" for over the past year, so doing something like changing to the Terran side would have happened at the end of S1 in place of an over year long time skip, this would have went along with the nature that Slaine is an emotional figure that acts on a whim, his actions as far as S2 is concerned is that he has unquestionably been changed by all the events of S1.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Thanks to Inaho's actions in S1, Slaine at the very least trusts Terrans less than he trusts Martian aristocrats.

Why? Inaho was always 100% up front doing the right thing.

Quote:

There is also the nature that Slaine has been playing his current "game" for over the past year, so doing something like changing to the Terran side would have happened at the end of S1 in place of an over year long time skip,

He went over to Mars at the end of S1 because he needed to get medical treatment for the Princess. She seems stable now and he could likely sneak her out before doing anything.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

Inaho gets to be awesome without pulling the trigger. We are allowed to enjoy it when Inaho does something awesome, right? Slaine also did pretty well, can't complain if he takes out more like that.

I was particularly fond of how they handled that bit of leading the ED into the post credit scene, it was pretty good. spoiler[Especially that it looks like the shock of Lemrina turning off the support and then back on seems to have finally woken Asseylum up]. Hopefully people have not forgotten that this series has spoiler[multiple times put something right at the end].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
We are allowed to enjoy it when Inaho does something awesome, right?

You fool! You're not allowed to enjoy anything!!!

In all seriousness, Inaho doesn't get sole credit this episode. Some like to make him out to be some sort of one man army, but he is often relying on others like in this case.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was one of the better fights, and success didn't feel like magic BS as usual. The use of the curvature of the Earth was interesting, until they went and explained it, at which point I had to roll my eyes. The flare thing seemed weird, though... I feel like he didn't have enough digits for the precision he needed.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
The scene with Lemaria, I don't think she wasspoiler[ turning off the life support (yet), I think she was just turning off the monitoring devices, so that when she did (potentially) turn off the support it wouldn't start squealing like mad. Seylum shouldn't have noticed it happening since it would have been all passive stuff.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 85 of 90