• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Incredible Geniuses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Tsk tsk, how could you omit to mention Clow Reed from Card Captor Sakura? Cool

Other than that, Victorique from Gosick was pretty genius.

Oh please, a genius girl wouldn't fall for some pussy boy. Or would they. I wouldn't underestimate how female tastes can get so bad.

But I still wouldn't agree. Really wanna compare that to some LOGH characters, as the first posters badly put?

I like Light and Conan. If only the mangaka didn't ruin Light.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it was hard to pick a favorite English publisher. Viz got into the US market pretty early, so they had a chance to release a lot of titles I like, but then Yen Press gets a lot of light novels and newer, more popular titles, too. Vertical and Seven Seas like to take chances on lesser-known titles, so they add great variety to the market. Dark Horse is great for their publishing of horror titles and rescuing some of Tokyopop's licenses, but their release schedule for some of their stuff is pretty slow.

Kodansha has some good stuff, but they haven't shown any interest in continuing a lot of the series that Del Rey and other publishers started in the US before they came over. Until I get more fluent in Japanese, I will never be able to find out what happens next in Pumpkin Scissors, for instance. I know that they want to play it safe and stick to titles that they know will be profitable, like Fairy Tail and Sailor Moon, but I wish they'd let other publishers take over some of the other licenses that they're sitting on if they're not going to do anything with them.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kotomi and Kurisu, hell yeah. My favorite girls from their respective series. To the list I may add Alice from Kamisama no Memo-chou.

As for this poll, my collection is mostly older Tokyopop and Viz series. I haven't really bought any new manga in a long time. When Seven Seas announced they licensed Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, and Arpeggio of Blue Steel, it was the first time I had been excited about new manga releases in a very long time. For that reason, plus all the interesting things they've been putting out, I vote for Seven Seas. Viz may have been my second choice, mostly because they're the only company still around that I own several manga volumes from. Dark Horse has some nice releases though, and Yen Press has K-ON!, so those are pluses.
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Kurama and Kaito from Yu Yu Hakusho? Yeah.

Favorite English manga publisher has to go to Viz for doing Basara. It was a special case of the editor wanting it translated so he made it happen. I can't be any more thankful for it.

Runner up has to be CMX for bringing Cipher over. Best slice of life ever written.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't know what were the qualifications but the how is Negi from Negima not on this list.

If any character from Negima belongs on the list it is Chao Lingshen, who is shown to be smarter than pretty much everyone else in the series.

jr0904 wrote:
Not surprising that Ami is on the list but should have been top three easily. also i definitely wouldnt have light on this list cause yea he's smart, but definitely not in the genius category. that would either be L or Near who should have been on the list.

If you put Ami on the list, then Light belongs because he's shown to be the same level of "book smart" as Ami, he just also happens to be skilled in many other things and (unfortunately) a psychopath. That said, he is NOT (IMO) a "hero" as the description for the list notes and I'd agree with putting L into the list in his place for that reason.

Washu & Chao Lingshen should certainly be on there though, either could annihilate (mentally or otherwise) anyone else on the list. I'd also swap in Souchiro Arima for any of the bottom 3. (much as I love Ami)
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Kaname Chidori up near the top of the favorite blue haired heroine list.

This week's poll was a tough one! I chose CR Manga because it has so many series that I love to read on a weekly basis, but Seven Seas is really close, especially after the announcement that they picked up Evergreen! They seem to get a lot of the series that I love.

egoist wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Tsk tsk, how could you omit to mention Clow Reed from Card Captor Sakura? Cool

Other than that, Victorique from Gosick was pretty genius.

Oh please, a genius girl wouldn't fall for some pussy boy. Or would they. I wouldn't underestimate how female tastes can get so bad.

But I still wouldn't agree. Really wanna compare that to some LOGH characters, as the first posters badly put?

I like Light and Conan. If only the mangaka didn't ruin Light.

Dang! That's two weeks in a row where Victorique was given the short end of the stick! (The not-so-dumb blonds being the last one.)

I hope the "wouldn't fall for some pussy boy" comment was about Card Captor Sakura, which I haven't read or seen, since Kujo is one of the best, non-pussy-boy-like protagonists around!
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't know what were the qualifications but the how is Negi from Negima not on this list.

If any character from Negima belongs on the list it is Chao Lingshen, who is shown to be smarter than pretty much everyone else in the series.

jr0904 wrote:
Not surprising that Ami is on the list but should have been top three easily. also i definitely wouldnt have light on this list cause yea he's smart, but definitely not in the genius category. that would either be L or Near who should have been on the list.

If you put Ami on the list, then Light belongs because he's shown to be the same level of "book smart" as Ami, he just also happens to be skilled in many other things and (unfortunately) a psychopath. That said, he is NOT (IMO) a "hero" as the description for the list notes and I'd agree with putting L into the list in his place for that reason.

Washu & Chao Lingshen should certainly be on there though, either could annihilate (mentally or otherwise) anyone else on the list. I'd also swap in Souchiro Arima for any of the bottom 3. (much as I love Ami)

I would not put Chao above Negi. She is not really smart, as she is from the future, so of course technology, information, everything pretty much will be so far advanced at that point its not really that she is smart, but that the average information has gone up. I mean her forte was in the technological science, which is probably the single category that someone from the future would have the biggest advantage. Plus she is significantly from the future, not mention she had the advantage of Mars becoming known to the people, where they were in more technologically advanced. I am not saying she is not smart, but I am sure anyone thrown a 1000 years into the past with moderate intelligence could look like a god.

Louie Armstrong said it best - "I hear babies cry,
I watch them grow,
They'll learn much more,
Than I'll ever know. "

To me only Conan, Kurisu, and Kotomi qualify as geniuses by the barest minimum of the word, and even then I would not put any of the 3 on a list of "incredible" geniuses. That adjective implies something like something like God level intelligence almost.

Also it was funny someone mentioned Da Vinici, because we have Da Vinci in Nobunaga the fool.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
What about senbei from Dr. Slump.He created Arale and his inventions are pretty awesome too.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
What about Naruto's Shikamaru? Waiting to see what he's really plotting during a battle is fun.

I like him a lot, too, though fighting him would be a 50/50 proposition. On the one hand, he might just get bored and let you win. OTOH, if you make the mistake of motivating him, even spoiler[immortality] as a superpower won't save you. Not when he'll just devise spoiler[a fate worse than death].
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
I only know 2 of the characters that made the list, Kurisu and Kotomi.

On the poll, I went with Kodansha. Viz would have to be a very close second.

Went with Kodansha because Fairy Tail was the first long running manga I started to collect. I also started collecting My Little Monster recently, and what is probably my favourite manga right now...Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan!

I also recently bought all the Haruhi novels too.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
[quote="HeeroTX"]
CrownKlown wrote:

jr0904 wrote:

But Light's smarter or at least of equal intelligence to both Near and L? Bare in mind both Near and L were trained specifically to be detectives - which is why they're to socially awkward. Light manages to balance his own ability with his social skills, making it seem like he's simply an incredibly smart boy - but I'd wager he has no need of studying anywhere near as much as he does pretends to.

I'd second the tentative vote for Lelouch, though agree that if you were to define him he's more of a tactical 'genius' rather than anything else. Again it's what makes him so good at playing people, which is essential to his plans. I'd also add that the whole "predicting what others will do then doing something else" is pretty much strategy in a nutshell. You can call it plot contrivance but that IS how you outwit people, but understanding how they will see something and working around that.

I'd also agree that Bulma should be on the list somewhere, maybe Urahara too?. Unfortunately beyond that is where it gets messy for me. There are many characters who are a 'genius' in one area, such as Shiina from Sakurasou or Niizima from Bakuman - but it's arguable that they fall more under prodigy than genius.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist, to be sure.

Yes ... because her breasts are geniuses? In the series that has May Chang, pint size alchemist and martial artist and lone wandering warrior princess, not to forget the Elric brothers who became accomplished scientists at a young age, why focus on the one who became a competent engineer only because her best friend did something really stupid that cost him an arm and a leg?

Bulma, I'm ok with her but with that crowd, it wouldn't take much to be proclaimed a genius.

too true. she acts way too much like a blonde. especially in the dragon ball series and in season one of DBZ to be considered a genius. and winry is definitely no genius either. that category definitely belonged to washu. though i wouldnt necessarily call a mad scientist which she is one a true genius , but i definitely would at least have Shikamaru there. Yea he's lazy as hell and gets irritating , but having a +200 IQ have to mean something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist, to be sure.

Yes ... because her breasts are geniuses? In the series that has May Chang, pint size alchemist and martial artist and lone wandering warrior princess, not to forget the Elric brothers who became accomplished scientists at a young age, why focus on the one who became a competent engineer only because her best friend did something really stupid that cost him an arm and a leg?

Bulma, I'm ok with her but with that crowd, it wouldn't take much to be proclaimed a genius.

too true. she acts way too much like a blonde. especially in the dragon ball series and in season one of DBZ to be considered a genius. and winry is definitely no genius either. that category definitely belonged to washu. though i wouldnt necessarily call a mad scientist which she is one a true genius , but i definitely would at least have Shikamaru there. Yea he's lazy as hell and gets irritating , but having a +200 IQ have to mean something.

While Shikamaru have a IQ of 200 is certainly quite an achievement he's never show any feats which support the claim that he has an IQ of 200 or more.

Bulma, on the other hand should defenity be on this list, she is stated to have a superhuman intellect and the devices she was able to construct certainly back up that claim. And it's not just the fact she was able to construct them but it was also the circumstances of has she was able to construct such technology. She built a spy plane on a remote island using on scraps, she built time machine in post apocalyptic world and built a tank that generates energy similar to that of the moon. How is that even possible!?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Naruto's Itachi is another noted example.
rebii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
How could you forget Ed from Cowboy Be Bop? Her brilliant analyses of real life situations, along with her quick instinctive reactions to the same, combined with her virtuosity in data diving earn her a spot, a high spot on the list. Come on, not include Ed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4