• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the General guy is just using the soldiers and has no real care about them at all. I've thought that from the beginning. The wierd thing is that Somanji apparently doesn't realize this, or doesn't care.

Ultimately, it's the corporations that are running this whole thing. Beware the military-industrial complex.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so the Sturm Betas are manned units? The "Traitor" in the ranks was properly one of the high end generals.

I don't think things will go well for the "good guys", but its hard say if going end well for anyone Arges or not.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the spoiler[military is the big bosses of this series. At any rate, is Argevollen prepared for their next battle? I sense a climax coming soon and it better be ready if they are prepared for the worst.]

For some reason, this reminds me a little of spoiler[Deus Ex Revolution with the corporation thing.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Tables have turned now.

spoiler[Now that the Captain has all active Argevollens from both side of the battlefield under his command. I wonder if he going turn on the general and end madness he's been caught up in since first prototype-Arge was built and killed his would-be girlfriend.

I'm little baffled how this going to end. Unit 8 risking their jobs and lives now to stop their former commanding officer from carrying on the war seems strange. Their nation possed to surrender, to possibly terrible nation? We don't even what either nation like other than Argevollen's nation is infested with social-selfserving Generals.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The second part of your spoiler is exactly what my problem with this series is.

The entire extent of world building in this series is "oh, there's two countries(?) at war with each other. Units fight each other if they run into each other. And there's a company making weapons for both sides."

Are these groups at the front lines? Is it an all-out war, or more a war of attrition? Is Unit 8 on the attack or defense? Is it neutral ground that's being fought over, or is one country invading another?

We're almost to the end of the series, and none of these important questions have been answered.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Its over. So the guy was spoiler[leading the attack so aggressively to take the wall was largely so evil general could be attacked by another force from behind]? Not exactly clear or properly explain except for one line. On the upside spoiler[annoying/evil business man and evil general are dead].

My rating for the series, really harsh from me but Weak. I couldn't care at all for many characters in the show, and world building is among the worst I have seen in a mecha anime. Was I even meant to root for our guys? There was no chemistry between Tokimune and Jamie early on, but it did improve later in the series, but Tokimune was really incredibly bland, he was either personality-less or screaming because that is apparently good piloting. I repeat my proclamation that this is one of the worst anime militaries I have seen, many of the characters treated it like fun and games so that we would dislike the other side who were more formal, which made me kind of like them. The most I liked was acknowledgment that he should be punished for breaking orders, but that did not feel like it came to head.

I probably have been extra harsh since it did improve from early on and the amount of work in it should earn points, but for me it felt like the damage had already been done and it did not feel like it quite redeemed itself. I just never bought into him getting away with acting out despite being so trained and it really felt that most of his strength was in the machine and not his own skill. Want a good version of this show, watch Full Metal Panic. FMP was able to do the thing with soldiers letting of steam on their downtime, serious soldier and technically civilian girl, so much better. Sousuke Sagara is even stiffer yet was a far more interesting character, a large part of Sousuke is that he looks like he has no personality but you see subtle shifts.

I didn't like this show from the start and I still don't like it. Would be interested to hear from the people that did like it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
You called? I liked it ... mostly. I agree it had a lot of flaws and I never really understood the geopolitical machinations going on in the background. But I did like the group of characters and their interactions ... although Lieutenant Strong Silent Type was kind of pill. I actually liked the visual look of the show - the different mechas and the various backgrounds.

I'll give this a Decent although I certainly understand those who rate it lower.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 24 (finale)

Its over. So the guy was spoiler[leading the attack so aggressively to take the wall was largely so evil general could be attacked by another force from behind]? Not exactly clear or properly explain except for one line. On the upside spoiler[annoying/evil business man and evil general are dead].

I thought it was pretty clear. spoiler[Samonji managed to take back the great wall, which essentially drove Ingelmia's forces out of the country. With that done he went on a suicide attack in order to get rid of all the U-Link system units. At the same time, his pal Izumi took the chance to attack Cayenne's forces and take him out of the picture. Thanks to that Izumi is now sitting pretty.]

I also liked the show. Didn't blow me away but still pretty enjoyable. It was meh in the beginning but got better later on. Jaime was a different take on the "civilian caught up in military affairs" thing and her and Tokimune eventually made a good duo. Was also refreshing that spoiler[it never became romantic between them.]

That ending was kind of disappointing, though. I was looking forward to spoiler[a three way fight between Tokimune, Samonji, and Richthofen, but that never happened. After all that trouble to get Argevollen back it becomes useless with a flip of the switch. And Richthofen met a pathetic end. Like, what was even the point of him being there?] Seems like it was just setting up another season it probably won't get.

Also they didn't explain spoiler[what that noise in Argevollen's system was. Was it Reika's will, or was Jaime the cause of it? ]
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I had stopped watching weekly around #14 so that I could marathon it, and then CR goes down...
Still made it through, a little to like here, in some of the character actions, but so much like any Gundam series has you screaming at the TV.... Cannon fired Bola type weapons, negates ANY mech even in worlds like this one where air power does not exist.

I made it through and do not hate it, but can not see revisting it.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Ehh, despite its flaws, I ultimately got what I wanted: the closest we have to a Front Mission anime (and boy I do love FM. Screw you Square Enix for killing the franchise! Mad)

Though... yep, too bad the show itself is pretty much forgettable, i.e. “just another mecha show”.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12