• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ARGEVOLLEN (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It's Tuor! Don't make me start calling you Blood+ Smile

And of course it will. Still, I do think it is interesting that this series is willing to put its characters in bad lights: not just our main character who, though getting better, still does some braindead things. And then the secondary character who wasn't able to cut the mustard when put in charge of a single unit. Arandas' military still doesn't seem to know how to maintain a front or when to evacuate civilians (that town should've already been evacuated, IMO).

If you look at it from a different point of view, we're probably supposed to get the impression that Ingelmia has this war in the bag: you certainly can't keep using a single unit to put out breakouts along the main defensive line. Eventually they'll grind Arandas back and Arandas will eventually succumb.

I *hope* that all of this leads to some character building and interesting developments down the line that, when we look back on things, we're impressed at how things were turned around in a clever and clearly demonstrated manner (no "what a twist"s, no Deus ex Machina). Broken Blade was able to do this pretty well, IMO, but I'm not sure if Argevollen can accomplish it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about that, chief! I'll get it right next time, for sure, Tuor_of_Gondola. Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
I found the latest episode to be somewhat funny. I think spoiler[besides that drinking party, we also get a bit of rage but also irony since I think the first half, they were talking about a guy hitting his superior and look what happened later.]

Next time, we will probably find out more about spoiler[Reika through flashbacks.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh Argevollen, your low risk show has shown me that I can still enjoy mech animes even if they are on a mediocre budget.

I honestly wish this series had a higher budget for animation (at least a little more for the battle scenes) but the winner for my taste is the straightforward narrative that has a usually consistent tone.

The episode is both fun and intriguing in development.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Was there underage drinking in this episode? I couldn't see the difference of what the supposed teenagers were drinking although they were not being shown as if they were drunk. Actually it would be a bit of a dick move to have teenagers at a drinking party anyway.

Who knew that the country that the supposed bad guys have been spoiler[calling on for taking advantage of its citizens took advantage of the main character's sister, forcing her into an experiment]. The spoiler[experiment was probably connected to the Argevollen and we will find out that what they thought was keeping their freedom is actually the product of the exact kind of acts they are being accused of].
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11

Was there underage drinking in this episode? I couldn't see the difference of what the supposed teenagers were drinking although they were not being shown as if they were drunk. Actually it would be a bit of a dick move to have teenagers at a drinking party anyway

Are you serious? If they are old enough to go to war, they are old enough to drink, underage or not...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Are you serious? If they are old enough to go to war, they are old enough to drink, underage or not...

Alcohol can have negative effects on developing brains, something characters in this show really do not need more of.

Plus their age and that they have been put into war is another question of problems.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
It's impossible to know if there was underage drinking going on or not since 1) We don't know the ages of the characters and 2) We don't know what the legal drinking age in the Kingdom of Arandas is. Keep in mind that in some countries, like Germany, the drinking age can be as low as 16. Wink

Not too much happened in the latest eppie, but I liked it anyway. It was nice to see the members of Special Unit 8 getting to cut loose a little.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12, The episode establishes Samonji's backstory and overly hints on how Argevollen actually works.

I enjoyed this episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
One of the best episode of the season so far. Don't let spoiler[that death go in vain....]

But then again, it's the reality of war.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Wow, that was amazing. It just goes to show that you don't need to take a ton of time to set up an emotional situation. They took a character we barely know (Reika) and by the end of the 23-ish minutes I was fully invested in her story. A lot of very good directorial moments, too - like at the end when we go from the spoiler[final flashback of Lt. Samonji remembering Reika surrounded by her "children" in the pounding rain to the silence of the present day.] I admit it, I teared up at the end.

I've been enjoying this show from the beginning even with all its flaws, but my respect for it leaped forward with this latest episode.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed it.
Rhetorical question. Has a demonstration of new military hardware for top brass EVER gone off without a major hitch in anime?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Okay, the story was good, but I might just be that person who keeps looking for faults here. Firstly I noticed a number of times that there were unnatural breaks between actions and not looking at what the action is, similar to the episode with Jamie in the forest although not as bad.

And the episode again does nothing to show this military as something good. Firstly they allowed aspoiler[n experiment to go forward with live ammunition when there were signs of things going wrong, which might have lead to a number of lost lives]. Again we had military spoiler[elites only caring about their own safety, and there seems to be some major breach of professionalism when they were doing hand shaking thing when they first met, their job was security no making friends]. It is almost like these guys are North Korea.... those uniforms do look kind of familiar.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
@ Dusky, it would seem that the experiments occurred over several months even after when Samonji arrived, so one would assume the experiments alternated between "boot up" experiments to see if Reika could simply handle more units and live fire exercises.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
@ Dusky, it would seem that the experiments occurred over several months even after when Samonji arrived, so one would assume the experiments alternated between "boot up" experiments to see if Reika could simply handle more units and live fire exercises.

But they chose that time to try out that many and use life ammo when brass came, when really you would expect that level of experiment be worked for a number of trials working up to making it dangerous and only if there was not signs of foreseeable problems, like her mention that they were not listening to her.

You run an spoiler[experiment without fully having proper precautions, and then you end up like Doc Ock and from the machine feedback and have to commit suicide in a wet finale.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12