• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Transformation comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0

New intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV7pgh5wpZs

The CG in the new one is pretty glaring once you realize it's there. I'm still personally not sure about the character designs either. We'll see I guess.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Eri94's thread merged into this one.

And 2 over-quoted posts deleted.
Eri94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Don't you think that was worth its own thread?

Putting it in here is not really going to draw any attention to them.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I thought her henshin sequence looked really cool. I'm so psyched still. Anime hyper
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Don't you think that was worth its own thread?

Putting it in here is not really going to draw any attention to them.

Considering that the show hasn't even aired yet, and that what you're posting is essentially a kind of preview *for* it, I don't see the point in having 2 separate threads just to showcase a couple of videos when everything is related, anyway.

And besides, this thread will most assuredly get a lot more traffic once the series actually starts. So you might as well just keep everything centralized and not have to go back and forth between 2 threads to talk about the same thing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
What a lame CG sequence. It's the moneyshot of the series that they can repeat every single episode, and that's all the effort they put into it? Basically everything is a big old red flag to me: delayed for years and still claiming to be for the 20th anniversary; web-only; bi-weekly; can't even scrounge for a decent transformation that doesn't even match up to the mass-produced PreCure.

I'm not suggesting it'll be a complete disaster, but more of a "just okay" and less original-supplanting "this is now the only version" like 2199 did for Yamato. Seriously, you don't even have to watch 1974 show anymore, there's little point unless you just want to watch it for what it is.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What a lame CG sequence. It's the moneyshot of the series that they can repeat every single episode, and that's all the effort they put into it? Basically everything is a big old red flag to me: delayed for years and still claiming to be for the 20th anniversary; web-only; bi-weekly; can't even scrounge for a decent transformation that doesn't even match up to the mass-produced PreCure.

I'm not suggesting it'll be a complete disaster, but more of a "just okay" and less original-supplanting "this is now the only version" like 2199 did for Yamato. Seriously, you don't even have to watch 1974 show anymore, there's little point unless you just want to watch it for what it is.

I more or less agree about the transformation sequence. It has a bit more pizzazz to it, but it also has that kind of cheap plastic feeling that CG often causes unless it is extremely detailed CG. I would have probably preferred the transformation sequence to be hand drawn, but like you said, I'm not sure what the budget is here.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm really frustrated that I am not more excited. I seriously am.

Growing up, one of my earliest memories of anime was Sailor Moon as my parents would often rent Sailor Moon video tapes from a rental video store. If I'm not mistaken, it even aired on a local TV station at a point. I absolutely adored the series and spent a great deal of my childhood growing up with the Sailor Senshi. Had the toys, books, games, etc...

The thing is, now, I hardly feel any sense of nostalgia about it and I have no idea why. Perhaps I was too young for it to make a strong enough emotional impact on my psyche? Because I am still seriously attached to anime that came later including CCS and Digimon.

Still, I am looking forward to what this new series is going to bring to the table.

Eri94 wrote:
Transformation comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xXXfvBPc0

New intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV7pgh5wpZs

The CG in the new one is pretty glaring once you realize it's there. I'm still personally not sure about the character designs either. We'll see I guess.

Now that's interesting... Even with Precure, the 3DCG has only been used sparingly (save the EDs) with most of the henshins being in traditional 2D animation. Doesn't really bother me, but I would have definitely preferred more intricate 2D work.
誤称

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
That blew all my expectations away.

Brilliant rewrite. Sailor Moon is back.

I've been moon dusted.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of in a weird position on this one. On the one hand the show is exactly what it promised, but at the same time it made me realize just how dated the material actually is.

On the plus side, this show has great animation, with the exception of the cut-away special attacks. Seriously... why leave that in?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
I'm not liking the design of the girls that much (too mature for teens!)...but the guys definitely look nice... Wink

The elegant drawings are pretty cool too. The whole atmosphere is a vast improvement from the old series; it does feel a lot like the manga.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
That was exciting. The OP song was fairly good while I was meh on the transformation scene....

It's been awhile since I've heardspoiler[ Usagi's voice though so that was refreshing. Oh and they introduced Tuexdo Mask already]. Nice. I definitely think this has a lot of potential now. Anyways, looking forward to more~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode. While I will agree that the CGI in the transformation sequence was too noticeable, I do like that it pretty much just updated the original sequence, since it was one of the most iconic parts of the show (probably because it was also the most reused part!).

While in many ways this is just an updated version of the original anime's first episode, I found there were a few little touches that kept it closer to the manga. For example, I'm pretty sure that spoiler[Usagi was a big Sailor V fan in the original, while here she initially hasn't even heard of her]. And I don't think Mamoru was spoiler[wearing that outfit in his first appearance] in the original either - but both of these things happen that way in the manga (I pulled out my copy of volume one as I watched the episode, to see the anime adapt pretty much every frame verbatim, with a bit extra thrown in with the dream sequences).

Anyway, very excited to see where this goes. I wasn't impressed with the Moon Tiara attack sequence but if the OP is anything to go by, the other senshi's attacks have gotten a big upgrade.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Never seen the original, but I liked this first episode. The CGI sequence was a bit out of place and Usagi's voice a bit whiney, but they did a good job on the music, the pacing of the story and overal pretty look of the series.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
I forgot how clumsy and loud Usagi was ^^
She's pretty much how I remember her.
So is everybody else..
It was nice to see them again.
Still, I think I've outgrown them.
It's a nice anime & have fun everyone.
I'm skipping it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18