• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 9 Bizarre Anime Cats from Another Universe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I struggled with the favourite cross-dresser survey... wound up choosing Kuranosuke but I also wanted to choose Shuichi and Yoshino (Hourou Musuko) and Hana (Tokyo Godfathers) it wasn't an easy decision....
Anyways, Cat Bus=Win
MidoriPop

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Gia has her own column now! I was very sad when she left anime vice, I loved reading her articles and watching her videos. I'm really excited for this project 8)
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
That's right! Mr. Cat from Princess Tutu... he is absolutely hilarious!!!
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Kuroneko-Sama! I love my Kuroneko-Sama bobblehead.

Ah, transgendered characters are a subcategory of my one-true love in life, the subject of physical transformations, shapeshifting, etc.

Gotta pick Kuranosuke from Kuragehime, one of the few true crossdressers on the list. I love Shuichi of Wandering Son but he's really a transsexual in the making.

Hope my being a stickler for true definitions doesn't annoy anyone.
handsomeartist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
For me the jiji in Kiki's Delivery Service would be my first pick for an anime cat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:15 am Reply with quote
Shampoooooooooooooooooooooooo! Laughing

Or Kotatsuneko.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Glad to know people remember that Doraemon is a cat robot.

PS:Chiyo-chan's Dad should have been No1 since he's voiced by Wakamoto.

This is the truth. Anything Norio Wakamoto lends his awesome voice to wins by default. This should be an undisputed fact in the anime kingdom.

CBongo wrote:
would have suggested Utamaru from Da Capo, but then I would have to admit to watching Da Capo.

+1 to God from Pani Poni Dash, and Chiyo's Dad for first place.

There's something wrong with admitting to watching Da Capo? But I kinda liked Da Capo Sad And Utamaru was a weird looking cat. I don't think he had any legs, did he?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
And too bad there isn't a Hideyoshi option on the crossdressing list Laughing

Indeed. It seems Gia is saying she'll count votes in this thread, so I'll definitely cast my vote for Hideyoshi.
blackmokona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
I'd like to say that this post was interesting because it's adorably pointless, I can't. It was neither terribly inspired nor well written, evidenced by the fact that it left out many more interesting candidates mentioned here. It looked more like a random post on a blog than an article on ANN. I was expecting more elaboration on what made these cats stand out among anime's hunreds, like how they all can talk, but a certain cat can't (Admit it, 90% of them talk).

Actually, all these entries seem to be invariably the most popular in anime (well, except for No.8) and ranked in weirdness only among themselves. Blair and Yoruichi weird, seriously?

This has nothing to do with the fact that I hate Yoruichi to death.

Anyway, the poll seems slapdash. If not discriptions, at least give us pictures, else this'll turn out ot be a popularity contest. Is this actually part of an article?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Are black cats more popular/ common in Japan than in the west? I've noticed that if you see cats in anime or Japanese video games they tend to be black.

I approve of this because black cats are super cute.

Calico cats are associated with good fortune in Japan, so those are relatively popular. It's the preferred colour for Japanese Bobtails. They are a pain in the backside to draw and animate consistently though. Black cats are much easier to draw and they fit the supernatural vibe half of those shows have going on.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
It just goes to show how many weird cats there are in anime, when none of the cats from Aria, particularly President Aria and Cait Sidhe, make the list.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Both that President Aria would have made my list, and that with all the Bizzare cats in anime, this could have been a top 20 and still listed really good choices.

(Oh, and "Hello" to Gia!)
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Tama-cum-poverty god where? One of the rare white cats in Kamichu.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see someone mentioned Kyaa from Please Save My Earth!

I could find the crossdressing poll to be extremely offensive, but instead I'll cast my vote for Isabella from Paradise Kiss.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen a few of the series in the poll, so without pictures, no idea how they rate. I wanted to vote for spoiler[Johann] (Monster), but alas, not there. He has, perhaps, the most unusual reasons for cross-dressing.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kogarashi_san

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
so how bizzare is a cat-rabbit cross that loves carrots, and turns into an astonishingly powerful spaceship, and a strangely cute cat girl?

Ryo-Ohki from Tenchi Muyo, and her twin Fuko from GXP... I know it was hard to cut the list down.

I think I'm voting for Yoroichi from Bleach myself... the amusement at how uncomfortable she makes Ichigo is great and the side funny of SoiFon having a fetish for black cat goods... I like it.

Actually Ryo-Ohki and Fuku are "cabbots"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5