• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pacific Rim Gets Film Sequel & Animated Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
An animated series? Oh boy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
How long until that cartoon series is cancelled? I'm not even trying to be a smartass, everything that's not CalArts noodles gets cancelled.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How long until that cartoon series is cancelled? I'm not even trying to be a smartass, everything that's not CalArts noodles gets cancelled.

I personally hope that it isn't affialited with any network because that will be annoying if it's good but has lack of viewership which will definitely nip it in the bud.

Right now Del Toro has a new mini series (or movie, I dunno) coming up on FX. It's some horror sci-fi series.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm more concern about the sequel. I have a feeling the Kaiju may have another way to come to our world them just the portal in the ocean.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Great news no matter how you look at it. With some proper advertising this could be huge. Plus, I have a feeling it will be a hit in Japan, due to their love of the movie.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Like Honest Trailers I am amped for the sequel movie. The animated series sounds neat but I'm a bit doubtful as to whether it will be good or not.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I personally hope that it isn't affialited with any network because that will be annoying if it's good but has lack of viewership which will definitely nip it in the bud.

Right now Del Toro has a new mini series (or movie, I dunno) coming up on FX. It's some horror sci-fi series.

Would I be wrong if I guessed it would probably end up on Toonami? Of course by that time Toonami might have taken over all of Adult Swim's Saturday night...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Would I be wrong if I guessed it would probably end up on Toonami? Of course by that time Toonami might have taken over all of Adult Swim's Saturday night...

I agree that that would be a cool place to premiere it. They even did those cross promotions and extra TOM ads for the movie during Toonami, I think they'd mix well if the animated series is any good.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Very curious how they'll handle the animated series, which studio they'll use, whether it'll be direct to video like DC Comics OVAs or an actual television show...
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Now this is the announcement that I've been waiting for! Wasn't expecting them to do an animated series as well, but it could be interesting. More Pacific Rim is good if you ask me.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Didn't the first movie bomb or at least underperform expectations? Color me surprised that it's getting any followups, though I can't say I'm not looking forward to them.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Didn't the first movie bomb or at least underperform expectations? Color me surprised that it's getting any followups, though I can't say I'm not looking forward to them.

I remember reading somewhere that the numbers domestically were lukewarm at best, but it did really well abroad. I'll have to dig around for the source.

I'm excited for more Pacific Rim. I liked the movie, it was an entertaining action movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
Zalis: It didn't bomb, but it wasn't really a big earner, either. Think Tron: Legacy, which ironically managed to spawn its own cartoon, but can't seem to get a sequel of the ground. So yeah, PR was profitable, but not huge. So I'm guessing it did exceptionally well in home video sales to justify a greenlight for a part 2.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Didn't the first movie bomb or at least underperform expectations?

Funny how the definition of the word "bomb" has shifted over the years. It used to mean something that lost a lot of money, but now is used to mean anything that wasn't a smash hit.

Pacific Rim made US$102m "domestically" and US$309m in the rest of the world, for a total gross of US$411m. As a rule of thumb the theatres take half that money so the studio gets about US$200m, which is what it cost to make and market the film. So they broke even but did no better than that on the movie itself. However, home video sales, model kits, the soundtrack, the graphic novels, product tie-ins and other merchandising could well have turned a tidy profit for Warner Bros. and probably did.

Hollywood and the anime industry are very alike in many ways, one of which being that you can't judge a work's profitability based solely on raw sales of the movie or show in question.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
Was hoping for a sequel but totally did not expect an animated series. I assume it won't be an anime, will it? Doesnt matter, it sounds cool, and im definitely gonna check both out. So the second movie'll be Universal. Will the animated series be as well, or will it be Warner Bros?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3