• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Sweetness and Light

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You keep referring to "Todd". I'm guessing he's the person who wrote the article. I didn't even read the article so none of this has been a reply at your buddy Todd. It's been 100% directly to people like YOU.
Well that seems pretty stupid considering this is a thread in the TALKBACK section which is about responding to the articles, reviews, and news pieces posted on the website.

Todd is'nt my buddy. I was only trying to explain my take away from what he said.

What do you mean people like me?

Do you mean people as you described in your first post?

Quote:
People think they seem mature by opposing any bit of sexuality or fanservice. I find it funny because when you make such a big deal out of it, I find it to be incredibly immature.

Well first you attempted to make a really bad over generalization and then tried to claim that those who have a different view of things are being immature. The irony here is the only one being immature here is you. As your posts just read like a whinny child yelling at ghosts that aren't there. Complete with un-needed insults and spouts of irrational diatribe.

I'm not opposing any bit of fanservice and neither is Todd. His problem was with the fanservice of one show. My problem with fanservice is with one show as well. It's not even a problem, just a thing to point out.

Quote:
Not once has One Piece "put boobs in your face". The boobs in OP aren't fantasy-big, either. Once again, you know NOTHING since you haven't seen the show. So, stop talking about it.
I mean I just have to google "one Piece Fanservice" and I get:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35300000/Nami-w-one-piece-35335894-1440-810.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Conekiller/NamiMovie4.jpg
http://qualityanimu.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/robin-are-you-doing-that-on-purpose.jpg
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/T-TfLzBMUkQ/maxresdefault.jpg
http://anime-fanservice.org/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=78&pid=1486#top_display_media
http://anime-fanservice.org/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=1391&pid=46167#top_display_media

Those breasts are pretty fantasy big and unrealistically perky and on extremely slender bodies. Exaggerated fine and there's nothing wrong with them. The manga artist is a guy so he drew what he likes. No problem really, but they are they there and they are emphasized. It's fanservice no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
I don't give a shit about the rest of your garbage post. I was talking about your unjustified and wrong opinion of a show you've never seen.
Garbage post? I'm not the one who apparently can't read and then can't even an argue a point because they're too busy having a persecution complex override thier senses.

I don't have to watch One piece to see that it's added buxom characters for male delight to it's show. I can see the art work. You seem to think that I think one Piece is now a fanservice show just because it was incredible big breasted characters and has no shame in highlighting that. I don't and I don't really care that it does that.

What I realize though is some people (like Todd) may not like that and think it didn't need to be added. The problem is people like you attempt to over think that and make a bigger thing out of it. Ironic considering you claimed you hate when people make a big deal out of fanservice. Todd wasn't. You have.

Quote:
Not once did I say "mental issues"either. Once again, you're the spin doctor and a complete stiff.
I don't think you know what stiff is.

And um....
Quote:
Anyone who is actually physically or mentally bothered by that has some issues and shouldn't be watching anime in the first place.
You are saying that people who are bothered by what you may as precieve as not fanservice have issues. Essteraintly saying they have mental issues.

The irony of this statement is you later say:

Quote:

3) I'm not even going to take the time out of my life to read your long rant spewing endless garbage of your completely religious and unjustified opinion of what is too sexual and what is not.
It's funny because I'm not even trying to push any idea of whats too sexual and not, but you sure are.

If Todd thinks somethings bad. Guess what? That dosen't mean he has an issue. perhaps take your own advice.
Quote:

1) Did I mention you're a stiff?
Yes, and you were wrong all the other times.

Quote:
2) What you consider male jerkoff fantasies are normal characters. Whoever is in your avatar most be a jerkoff fantasy since they have sexual organs.
I consider male jerk off characters to be any character who is drawn or displayed to play into sexual feelings. It could be a character who is buxom and wears super revealing outfits. it can be a dude always drawn to entice female readers. What you don't understand is that, nowhere did I say that makes the characters bad. You were to bust shouting at arguments that don't exist. What i said was that playing up thier sexiness just doesn't work for some people in some things. The actual quality of the character is'nt being talked about. Maybe if you read instead of being angry you'd understand that.

Quote:
3) I'm not even going to take the time out of my life to read your long rant spewing endless garbage of your completely religious and unjustified opinion of what is too sexual and what is not.
This doesn't make any sense and just gives the image of you being some extremely angry and butthurt person. nothing I said was religious. Of course since you're just dying to pull the trigger on anyone who says anything, of course you'd assume something like that. Even they I passed no judgement on sex and fanservice in these cartoons.

And unjustified opinion? Again, you seem to think I'm trashing One piece or fanservice. I'm not. I explained why maybe Todd did'nt like it, in one instance. Jesus, learn to goddamn read.

Quote:
Good day, Jordan Coleman. I'm done replying to some jerkoff on the internet. I live pretty close to you, so if you want to take your hitler opinions to a local starbucks or something, I'd be more than happy to join you.
You know, for not being a jerk off as you think. You sure do like to throw insults and basically angrily yell at people who weren't actually attempting to insult you or had anything against you.

Yet, I'm the jerk off. Ok.

That's also really creepy that you looked me up and then felt the need to post my real name. Thanks.

All the while comparing my opinions of "yeah sometimes I don't like fanservice" to Hitler.

I'm the jerk off though. Ok.

No I'd rather not meet a whining child in real life, because thats what you are.

Also yes, in DMC4 they did further up Lady's sex appeal. I mean they are clearly trying to make sexualy attractive characters in DMC4. For Dante maybe that meant a chizzled face. For Lady that meant a bigger emphasis on her boobs and thighs.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Rehxephon91, I don't mean to discredit your feelings or views, but I'm not sure that fighting fire with fire is going to make your opponent listen to what you have to say...

enurtsol wrote:
And people forget that the gatekeepers are the shops. Quite sure that publishers take the retailers perspectives into account. If the shops don't want any trouble vs. how much sales gain or loss, etc. Without the shops' support, many customers wouldn't even see the product, which would hurt the publisher.

Yeah, which is why the censorship is limited only to the boxart. At least the game itself is not censored, which, if it were, would probably cause a much different discussion here.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I like how there is no problem with Nami being a slave, like during the Arlong arc. But as soon as a 20 year old fully clothed but happens to have large breast it becomes a problem.

I will admit Robin has changed, but Nami has been this way since the beginning of the show. She is a con artist, she uses everything to get her way including herself, she even did it with Luffy when she first met. So to start complaining about this now, years down the road is nonsensical.

Also Nami's breast aren't that far fetched. She is on the large side, but still within reason. If you want to whine about large breast, there are plenty of shows that have ten year old kids with breast bigger than hers. If you complained about those, okay.
Zelgadis_Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought it a shame when One Piece, a series with a high percentage of female readers, shifted the body types of its leading women from “occasionally unrealistic” to “possibly missing internal organs and in danger of snapping in half.”

I see it as Oda art style, it don't bug me that much. Because the outside don't matter to me, only the inside matter. Saying that, Nami have been down graded to a somewhat of a fan service character. She don't do that much anymore, she just sit around and look pretty. I hope Oda redeem her character like what he did with Sanji. But Robin been pretty good character wise, wish she do more
Do hope Oda tone down the fan service, but reading the SBS he probably won't anytime soon
Anyway, I don't care about the censor. As long as they don't cut anything out of the game, I'll be ok
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Some people are not fond of sex and fanservice. I can accept that. What I don't understand is the kind of people who act like the creators are forced to do it. The people who say things like they have to put it in their game or anime because it's all that sells or saying otaku rule the market and other similar fallacies. They never consider the possibility that these products have sexuality in them because the creators want it in their work, or in their culture it's just norm not to make a big deal out of seeing a woman with a low cut shirt or something so it's a total non-issue.

Though to be honest it's not like it's just a Japanese thing either. Even in American culture, now that it's summer, I see tons of women wearing shorts which are literally flossing their butt, and very low cut spaghetti strap tank tops. All things consider the women of One Piece dress fairly conservative compared to a lot of the women here. I don't see how people can get up in arms about media when it just reflects the society it was created in. A woman wearing a halter top is totally fine but when a fictional woman does it it's suddenly a problem? Maybe it's just me but that doesn't make much sense.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit more critical of One Piece than, say, High School of the Dead or Final Boob Quest EX, because One Piece is a mainstream series with a fair amount of younger readers and an appeal that lies beyond T&A and violence. That makes it a little more insulting when One Piece openly panders.

I have nothing against sexuality in media, especially not when it serves a purpose other than titillation, but it feels out of place in something like One Piece.

Also, NISA just announced Firefly Diary for the fall. Good timing.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
I'm a bit more critical of One Piece than, say, High School of the Dead or Final Boob Quest EX, because One Piece is a mainstream series with a fair amount of younger readers and an appeal that lies beyond T&A and violence. That makes it a little more insulting when One Piece openly panders.

I have nothing against sexuality in media, especially not when it serves a purpose other than titillation, but it feels out of place in something like One Piece.

I love highschool of the dead and other ecchi harem shows (highschool DAnime hyper FTW!) and have posters of them in my room, but I really don´t get your logic. Precisely because it´s a mainstream show it has some sexy characters. The vast majority of people like o see their characters like that. For most anime fans, it makes the series a whole lot more attractive, and it´s not out of place at all. It simply adds some extra visual appeal which most people find attractive. I love when an anime has some fanservice as an extra, gives me an extra reason to fanboy over the characters. If I have only got enough money to buy one show out of two I´ve watched online, they´re both just as good, but when has sexy chickes and pantsu shots and the other doesn ´t, then I know which one I´m buying Anime hyper And given that it´s really just added for some fluffy ´ooh sexy´ appeal, it´s never out of place, except in series which deal in extremely heavy subject matter at their base - ie I wouldn´t want to see it in say, hidashi no gen, or something like that. But in one piece or the like? Nah, there have always been tons of sexy chicks/dudes in these shows, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tail (ERZA!!!! I love her!), etc. so it´s A) not out of place since it´s to be expected in the genre, and B) not going away anytime soon because most people like it, so live with it. Anime hyper

Otherwise off course, I would just have to go watch more shows like highschool of the dead and highschool DxD (which already make up a high percentage of anime sales), and buy all of them to support fanservice. But if all the perverts started doing that, the sales advantage of including fanservice would increase even more. And it´s already high enough to make highschool DxD one of the more popular shows out there which is now gonna get a third season lol.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
toddc wrote:

With all due respect, you sound like someone who has never actually viewed the work, merely comment on its outer appearance. One Piece has some very dark elements, which range from the aforementioned slavery to thing like human experimentation, even on kids (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar_Clown). Naruto has the same thing, and even Bleach to some degree. I mean Orochimaru is about one step away from being a pedophile, if he is not one already. So with all due respect, a few characters with large breast are not the tipping point that children need to be saved from given some of the harsher elements of the work.
Seiru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I think I'd enjoy a domestic release of Casting Voice. It sounds like a neat idea. Imagine yelling at the voice actors over and over again.

"Damn it Spike! Read from the [expletive] script!"

"You're off [expletive] key again, Christine!"

"It's been fourteen [expletive] years, Wendee! What happened to the Goddamn voice?"

I wasn't too interested in the game or for a domestic release on that matter but just this..You just made me want this game now. Laughing

Also those Bubble Bobble plush were an instant buy from me.

And finally,still going to buy htoL#NiQ when it comes out.Something tells me that the story will make me want to play over and over,I hope I'm right.Didn't know that it was a hard game though,but damn I'm going to be screaming at myself whenever I kill Mion.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
My UK Wii U disc copy of One Piece: Unlimited World Red has A: boobs on the cover and B: is an actual disc release. With a bonus DLC voucher.

So, erm, yea. Woohoo, i guess? I mean its not like Bandai Namco edited the game to hide Nami's and Robin's awesome puppies, is it?
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Europe is more open minded than the US is from what I've seen of American culture, so that is not too surprising. Even the Australian release didn't change the cover, and Australia is very much for censorship in games.

It seems odd it's digital only for Wii U in America but the Vita gets a physical release. That seems strange, and a shame, because the Wii U is the definitive version I would say. I suppose I should consider myself lucky it got a physical release in Europe.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Europe is more open minded than the US is from what I've seen of American culture, so that is not too surprising. Even the Australian release didn't change the cover, and Australia is very much for censorship in games.

It seems odd it's digital only for Wii U in America but the Vita gets a physical release. That seems strange, and a shame, because the Wii U is the definitive version I would say. I suppose I should consider myself lucky it got a physical release in Europe.

"Europe" is quite a broad term. Would you consider Poland, Russia, Latvia, Serbia, Slovenia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Albania to be more "open minded" than the US? Oh, and Japan and Europe are guilty of censoring our games as well. Please keep that in mind.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Guile wrote:

"Europe" is quite a broad term. Would you consider Poland, Russia, Latvia, Serbia, Slovenia, Kosovo, Bosnia, Albania to be more "open minded" than the US? Oh, and Japan and Europe are guilty of censoring our games as well. Please keep that in mind.
Japan's guilty of censoring it's own stuff, much less other countries.

But what are you talking about? America is terrible and we should all make incredible informed and obviously all-encompassing generalizations of entire cultures and nations because of course they are 100% right, informed, and without any bias what so ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

With all due respect, you sound like someone who has never actually viewed the work, merely comment on its outer appearance. One Piece has some very dark elements, which range from the aforementioned slavery to thing like human experimentation, even on kids (http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar_Clown). Naruto has the same thing, and even Bleach to some degree. I mean Orochimaru is about one step away from being a pedophile, if he is not one already. So with all due respect, a few characters with large breast are not the tipping point that children need to be saved from given some of the harsher elements of the work.

I think the difference is that most of the "dark elements" you mention are essential to the story that the comic wants to tell, while the exaggerated breasts and wasp-waists really aren't.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Some people are not fond of sex and fanservice. I can accept that. What I don't understand is the kind of people who act like the creators are forced to do it. The people who say things like they have to put it in their game or anime because it's all that sells or saying otaku rule the market and other similar fallacies. They never consider the possibility that these products have sexuality in them because the creators want it in their work, or in their culture it's just norm not to make a big deal out of seeing a woman with a low cut shirt or something so it's a total non-issue.

Though to be honest it's not like it's just a Japanese thing either. Even in American culture, now that it's summer, I see tons of women wearing shorts which are literally flossing their butt, and very low cut spaghetti strap tank tops. All things consider the women of One Piece dress fairly conservative compared to a lot of the women here. I don't see how people can get up in arms about media when it just reflects the society it was created in. A woman wearing a halter top is totally fine but when a fictional woman does it it's suddenly a problem? Maybe it's just me but that doesn't make much sense.

Good points all around. The thing is, the state of the female depiction has become a political landmine and an easy moment for soapboxing morality. It's become way over the top ever since social media has exploded within the last 3 or 4 years.

Personally, I don't really care either way. And yeah, I don't see why artists just can't draw big boobs or make sexual characters because they LIKE doing that. It's art. Freedom of expression is a wonderful thing. Though some likely want to get in on a money making trend, drawing something and slaving tirelessly every day is still a work of passion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4