• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Launches 'Robotech Academy' Mini-Series Pilot Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Uh yeah, no. I just don't care for Mospeada and Southern Cross like I do Macross. Sure they were also bastardized and made into the horrible amalgam of Robotech, but they're just not very good shows on their own so the same level of caring isn't nearly the same.

Megiddo wrote:
Still don't understand what exactly it is about HG/Robotech that halts any possibilities of 7/Frontier/Zero getting brought stateside. Given this age of internet information, surely there is something I can read that states exactly and clearly what the issue is?

It's because they can't change the names and mash it into their headcannon. Plus and II were flukes that got by HG in their time of weakness before they started to become IP bastards. There's no way they'd have let that happen if they were always such asses.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
@Lavnovice9:

Power Rangers is a bit different - they're splicing footage into what's often a localization of the original plot anyway(nevermind the Zordon-era shows that make for the nostalgia having that whole continuity thing). It's also aired in the same markets as Super Sentai(Japan included) for multiple seasons, so there's that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Double post; fix your shit, ANN.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, just stop Harmony Gold. A new generation of anime fans don't need to know more bastardization of those 3 shows, especially Macross, we want SDF and the other entries in their pure form dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Word the that scares me is Academy.

We do not need more school kid based anime. No more....

Aside from that, I'm hundred percent behind SpacemanHardy. Not chance in hell, Harmony Gold botches and has the worse judgment when it comes to handling the Robotech franchise.

Only way I would trust is someone who not involved with HG in the first place. Period.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Ugh, just stop Harmony Gold. A new generation of anime fans don't need to know more bastardization of those 3 shows, especially Macross, we want SDF and the other entries in their pure form dammit.

I agree, but you can buy Macross Plus and the original online.
ShinRPGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Already at $35,000. Might meet it's goal, might not. Either way, I'm not supporting.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
"continue the legacy of the original animated series and bring the Robotech universe to a new generation of anime audiences."

Or they could just watch the various Macross sequels and not the anachronistic jumbled mess made out of desperation for a new cartoon. Robotech and Harmony Gold really just need to die out for all of the real licensing trouble they cause. It's not just a harmless "let us enjoy our nostalgia-driven cartoon" when it still messes with other licenses.

Robotech is dead, deader than a zombie. It's never coming back no matter how desperately Harmony Gold wishes otherwise in anime form or as a live action film. This kickstarter campaign just reeks of desperation. Robotech hasn't had any new few that were not kids in the 80s and that saw the original broadcast. Hence they might be excused (because of nostalgia) but everybody else recognises where the meat is. Macross and only Macross. No one gives a shit about the continuation of Genesis Climber Mospeada as robotech ('cause HG can't use anything pertaining to Macross except the original animation art and that's it) or even Southern Cross.

Forget about robotech and enjoy Macross (legally if you know Japanese, illegaly in all the other cases). As to HG and Robotech just consign them to the dustbin of history.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Given Harmony Gold's track record producing original Robotech material (Sentinels, Shadow Chronicles), I'm sure this is a masterpiece waiting to happen.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

There was a brief period where ADV had SDF in its pure form to my knowledge, but that boxset is like impossible to come by now. Plus was saved by Manga Entertainment, so there's those DVD sets still yeah. With that said, if anyone's wondering about the Plus Blu-Ray imports, I hear they are quite bad, so you may want to avoid them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

There was a brief period where ADV had SDF in its pure form to my knowledge, but that boxset is like impossible to come by now. Plus was saved by Manga Entertainment, so there's those DVD sets still yeah. With that said, if anyone's wondering about the Plus Blu-Ray imports, I hear they are quite bad, so you may want to avoid them.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Is there a way to anti-Kickstart something?

Angel'sArcanum wrote:

There was a brief period where ADV had SDF in its pure form to my knowledge, but that boxset is like impossible to come by now.

*Hugs his boxset*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Given just how many Robotech and/or 80's/90's sci-fi fans that are out there, this shouldn't really have an issue getting funded I think.

Probably. Already 500+ KS members donated. There's even the Robotech Convention Tour including the Anime Expo right now and the San Diego and NY Comic Con and even the Macross World Convention.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Is there a way to anti-Kickstart something?

Angel'sArcanum wrote:

There was a brief period where ADV had SDF in its pure form to my knowledge, but that boxset is like impossible to come by now.

*Hugs his boxset*

You lucky devil, you! For a few years I had seen the boxset for about $70 at my local DVD shop while it was still in print but I never had the money at the time, and I had seen it on so many occasions that I figured it would be there by the time I finally was able to afford it, only to have it snatched up by someone else in the meantime and see it on Amazon for $600 and then sold out. >.<
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Harmony Gold prevented the Macross Frontier series from getting a release with English subs/dubs.

Why would any English-speaking fan of Macross Frontier give Harmony Gold anything?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6