• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Launches 'Robotech Academy' Mini-Series Pilot Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ShinRPGamer wrote:
Already at $35,000. Might meet it's goal, might not. Either way, I'm not supporting.

The two $5000 donations look a bit suspicious. Not throwing any stones, but if it turned out they tried a 'salted' start, at least we'd have a slight hope Kickstarter might throw the project out for breach of rules (wouldn't be the first time)...
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Still don't understand what exactly it is about HG/Robotech that halts any possibilities of 7/Frontier/Zero getting brought stateside. Given this age of internet information, surely there is something I can read that states exactly and clearly what the issue is?

It's pretty convoluted, but basically a really bad court ruling in the 90s gave HG the rights to everything with the Macross name in the US. While this doesn't include the rights to the stuff that came since then, since they own the name, nothing else can come out here.

Now, the fact that who sold them the license didn't have the rights to do it... last I heard, that was still in the courts.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, looking over this thread and some of the comments on Reddit, I'm surprised that there is this much animosity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to defend Harmony Gold or anything, but this is much more caustic than I was expecting. I suppose all the Macross fans are (understandably) still bearing this grudge.

I think it's a shame that the name Robotech has become so tainted, as it was such an important series in American anime fandom. I really do think that much of what we appreciate today in anime fandom was built on the foundation of early, diehard Robotech fans. I'd like to think that Robotech itself is interesting enough to stand on its own, but I guess too many people think this well has been too thoroughly poisoned.

(FWIW, I'm not planning on contributing to the kickstarter for more boring reasons.)

SpacemanHardy wrote:
This guy deserves your money more than Harmony Gold does: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

Shocked WHAT?
thebeardedone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Seems like most people has the same feeling toward Harmony Gold these days... they don't deserve the money to get this funded.

Since this good fella brought me here I thought I'd share take on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmWbivW20U
thebeardedone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely seems like most people feel the same about Harmony Gold these days. They don't deserve to get this funded.

Since this good fella brought me here, I might as well share his video on this scam =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmWbivW20U
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
My love for mecha anime has nothing to do with Robotech. I never watched Robotech and I'm sure my story is like many others.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
My love for mecha anime has nothing to do with Robotech. I never watched Robotech and I'm sure my story is like many others.

Robotech was definitely my catalyst for anime fandom (along with a healthy dose of The Venus Wars. Also Dragon Ball Z I suppose...)

It also taught me a ton about anime licencing, editing, and general legal nonsense that cripples a bunch of shows from the early days of anime licensing. So I guess, at least this legal nightmare is educational?!

And once I learned about Macross being its own thing (with a pile of spin-offs and sequels)... Robotech lost all real interest to me as a fan.

But you're right. there are a couple of different phases of North American 'mecha' fans with their individual catalysts. I suspect though you can probable draw the majority of links back to either Voltron, Robotech, or Gundam Wing.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
If Robotech were still a "thing" today, visually recognized as Voltron or He-Man in pop culture, I'd be behind this.

Robotech isn't. The only people still actively talking about Robotech are the people at Harmony Gold.

No offense to Carl Macek, because he was a cool guy, but really, Robotech needs to die.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Word what scares me is Academy.

Hmm..."academy"...UH OH. Hacked-up dub of Gunbuster disguised as a new Robotech show INCOMING!!!

I honestly wouldn't put it past them to do that. As well as "Produced by Carl Macek from the next life, because he's that awesome and YOU'RE NOT, BITCHES!!!"

(Note: Carl Macek wasn't bad, but in these days his views and work are dated and to me it showed in his last interview, the ANN podcast)

Yeah, hope this fizzles out. Don't like HG, don't need their desperate attempts to turn the entertainment industry on its head with the one, the only, Robotech. As with many others who have chimed in, give me a Macross set or give me death.

*dies*
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
A half million dollar Robotech Kickstarter? By Harmony Gold?

Yes, there's a lot of ire and outright hate for Harmony Gold in Anime fandom, I don't know why they think they can raise that much money for anything Robotech. Not with the history they have.

Pitchforks and torches yes ... money not so much.

Mark Gosdin
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
If Robotech were still a "thing" today, visually recognized as Voltron or He-Man in pop culture, I'd be behind this.

Robotech isn't. The only people still actively talking about Robotech are the people at Harmony Gold.

No offense to Carl Macek, because he was a cool guy, but really, Robotech needs to die.

That's a good point. Kudos to Macek for being one of the pioneers of the industry in the West, but times have changed, and the Robotech brand and it's amalgamation are a product and system of the past; the industry has evolved, and now Harmony Gold and Robotech needs to dismantle and give people the Macross license in its pure form. We are in an age where we get simulcasts of anime as they go on air in Japan, so Western fans have come to expect things to be pure as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope it bombs hard. I don't think there is anything other anime related that I loathe as much as HG for killing Macross out of sheer greed.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I loved Robotech when I was a kid, just the word and the font were really awesome, the music was catchy and of course the show was fantastic. But then as I got older, and learned more about the background of the show, realizing that the series I liked (Macross) was its own thing, and then later on finding out how many problems Harmony Gold seems to have caused for the license in the United States, well... I don't think I can really support the company for something like this. I'd probably feel completely differently if the Macross license had been allowed to flourish, instead of languish under lock and key. I'll always remember Robotech fondly, and I don't think I even mind (in a historical context) how they originally merged the three series to create something different. It's the fact they're sitting on the license is really what's keeping me away.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:
I just want releases of Macross, is this too much to ask? It's disappointing to see them still clinging to Robotech brand name out of nostalgia. It just makes me hate the 80s and 90s nostalgia bandwagon even more when people refuse to let that stuff die off in favor of progression.

To be fair, SDF, Macross Plus and II were released a long time ago. I know the latter two achieved huge successes in the US, but the first one failed.

Also, I love how people ONLY complain what they did to Macross, even though 2 OTHER shows were altered. Why does only Macross matter? Don't the other two shows matter?
Macross is one of the most legendary anime franchises of all time, so much so that it has been dubbed one of the "three unassailable pillars" of sci-fi anime, tied with "Gundam" and "Yamato." The other series, while admittedly very good, are nowhere nearly as definitive or vital. That's why people tend to care.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
One way to maintain your copyright is to keep making new products. They keep trying to start new pieces just so that they'll never lose the copyright protection.

Also, sadly, wasn't Macross Plus' license due to expire soon?

But yeah, we get upset at these devils because they have denied us more Macross not because of any serious issues, it wasn't the music. (We have the AKB0048 anime, with the songs, no problem, which is also a Kawamori anime)

We are denied Macross 7, all of it's extra OVAs and movie.
We are denied Macross Frontier, its extras, and two wonderful movies.
We are denied the next Macross project that was recently announced.

Why?

Because these "Macross" hurt their "Brand."
Harmony Gold sued Hasbro once, because a modern Transformer toy set has a jet fighter who is named the same as an old jet fighter that used the old Valkryie (Veritech for the Robotech folk) mold, thusly Hasbro was infringing, despite Hasbro having the right to the original toy, even though this wasn't the same toy in question. THE MERE RESEMBLENCE is why they sued.

This is why we hate HG.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6