• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: South Korean One Piece Exhibition Cancelled Due to Japanese Flag Art

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin_Clouser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess based on this report, that the exhibit was to be held at the War Memorial of Korea, in Seoul.

I've been to that museum several times, mainly in 2008 and again in 2011. They have in the past hosted non-war related exhibits. In 2008, for example, they hosted an exhibition of the Dead Sea Scrolls. So it's not uncommon to see them host such exhibits.

However, the museum does have sections devoted to the "Occupation" (which is what they call the 1910-1945 Japanese colonization years), so hosting an exhibit devoted to Japanese manga would have probably been seen as being in poor taste by Korean war veterans, nationalists, etc.

Past Japanese aggression is still a big thing over in Korea, and I've seen protests such as over the "comfort women" issue at the Japanese Embassy, to war vets and nationalists burning Japanese flags in front of Seoul City Hall, in regards to who has control of Liancourt Rocks (both Korea and Japan lay claim over it).

Maybe if they had hosted it at the Times Square Mall, or the COEX Mall in Seoul, instead of the national war memorial museum, this exhibit would of happened without any problems.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ryuhei wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Those are my biggest concern, it's not only reconcilling about the past between the 2, but also intolerance/hatred/bigotry in Japan.

Sorry, but all your posts for this piece of news seem too partial and one-sided. There are a lot of "intolerance/hatred/bigotry" in South Korea too (and let´s not talk about China), and for every bit of racism reports/news in Japan, you can find another one in South Korea against Japan or japanese people (again, let´s not even talk about China). I don´t think that´s even debatable. The blind hate towards Japan (in general, no distinctions!) by some Koreans and Chinese is ridiculous and very dangerous, when the vast majority of japanese (especially young ones) don´t have any negative sentiment towards the other countries.
That´s regarding racism/hate/bigotry in modern times.

I'm not denying that racism exist in South Korea (racism exist everywhere and it's not exclusive to US or Japan) and there has been some increase in xenophobia in South Korea (hey well South Korea is an emerging economic country and all thanks to the Hallyu/Korean Wave and popularity of K-pop worldwide, I guess some people didn't know foreigner coming to South Korea is the result of the Hallyu Wave, that comes with the territory). But Japan's racism is probably the worse I've seen, the one thing I notice the difference between from Japan and South Korea, I don't see something like this in South Korea from what I've seen and heard from people that went to South Korea:

Nope I can't find any pictures or article that confirmed "Korean only, no foreigners allowed" signs unlike what I've heard and seen from Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
That last one is from a hot spring where a bunch of Russian sailors got drunk and rowdy and scared a bunch of customers away. It was brought into the spotlight by an American named David something who decided to become ONE WITH JAPAN and changed his name to Debito Arudou after immigrating and renouncing U.S. citizenship (which I believe you're required to do if you plan to move to Japan as you can't hold dual citizenship). Now he bitches about how hard it is being foreign in Japan and won't shut up about it, he divorced his Japanese wife who has criticized him for being so bitchy. The sad news is, Japan is not for white people. Some don't like white people. Even though I admire their culture, I would NEVER move there. I don't belong and I know it, and I SURE as hell am not going to be an outspoken critic against their rules, culture, politics etc. 2 cents.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a lose-lose situation. Putting the exhibition in a war museum wasn't the smartest idea. They could have moved it elsewhere. I don't like going into what the Japanese did during WWII because frankly it makes me just sick and disgusted to read about stuff they did was as bad as Nazi Germany, and it seems that some of the stuff is even worse. It's just unfortunate that the One Piece exhibition had to be dragged into this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zelgadis_Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Why the One Piece Exhibition was in a War Museum in the first place? It should be in a Culture or an Art Museum, I can see why they took it out. It really doesn't be long their
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
That last one is from a hot spring where a bunch of Russian sailors got drunk and rowdy and scared a bunch of customers away. It was brought into the spotlight by an American named David something who decided to become ONE WITH JAPAN and changed his name to Debito Arudou after immigrating and renouncing U.S. citizenship (which I believe you're required to do if you plan to move to Japan as you can't hold dual citizenship). Now he bitches about how hard it is being foreign in Japan and won't shut up about it, he divorced his Japanese wife who has criticized him for being so bitchy. The sad news is, Japan is not for white people. Some don't like white people. Even though I admire their culture, I would NEVER move there. I don't belong and I know it, and I SURE as hell am not going to be an outspoken critic against their rules, culture, politics etc. 2 cents.

I know of Debito Arudou, but that is not the point. I read and heard of similar stories from foreigners that are living in Japan and it's very similar to Debito. Although due to Japan's aging population (and decline), Japan has slowly started to open up to foreigners from hearing on today's NHK World Radio Japan segment.

But still Japan has a lot of racism/ethnic issue. Debito Arudou is not the only one.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I agree that those signs and the attitudes that cause them are a problem, but has Eiichiro Oda ever expressed any xenophobic attitudes? Not to my (limited) knowledge.

Those signs have nothing to do with him or One Piece.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
How narrow minded... Rolling Eyes
smile72

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:

Do you seriously find this boycott so unreasonable?

Why it was planned in the first place then is beyond me.

And there is only so long the "deep hatred" can seep into things completely unrelated, like fantasy manga.
The only connection Oda would have to Japanese war crimes is being Japanese. A Japanese born 30 years after the end of the war.
Which essentially means none at all.

Luckily Korea's censorship of Japanese media has waned over the years, but the general attitude is annoying.
Europeans don't treat Germans and German works like this.

Just a warning, this comment might get long and moderately boring. I don't blame or judge anyone who skips this. I apologize beforehand. For the boredom and any mistakes since English is not my native language.Yeah i cut out most of the quote.

And I say so what..sure it's horrible but Japan is one of the few countries to apologize for colonization. U.S. to Natives,Canada to First persons, Australia to Aboriginie U.K to Irish (heck there's still Northern Ireland)Europe to all of South east, South and East Asia (excluding Japan). I just am sick of hearing Korea go crazy over every single step it's not their country (Japan)_ they have no right to dictate whether or not Article 9 is repealed (which it basically has been). And this was just stupid. Probably lack of a wikipedia search to realize he is Japanese. The fact is this yes Japan did some bad things in WWII but so did everyone else. I'm tired of hearing all the blame go to Japan, people have a right to say crazy things heck we have people like that in our government, and Korea has people who claim Tsushima. Personally I wanna live in Japan I see nothing wrong with their government; they realize the U.S. is lying when they say they will defend them. So they have to be able to fight back before it comes to their territory.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I agree that those signs and the attitudes that cause them are a problem, but has Eiichiro Oda ever expressed any xenophobic attitudes? Not to my (limited) knowledge.

Those signs have nothing to do with him or One Piece.

No, but sorry I brought it up, let say it was a in-depth talk about the relation between Japan and South Korea, and Japan's views of foreigners. I didn't meant to go off topic, but other people were discussing it so I thought I could give my input and good knowledge on that discussion.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
Imagine for a second that a South Korean immigrant to the U.S. decided to hold a protest outside of any American bookstore or video place because they have anime,manga,or some other form of Japanese media in stock. This person believes that the U.S. government should ban any form of Japanese media to America because of what Japan did to Korea long ago.
Needless to say,most Americans would look at this person as if he or she were from some other planet. As far as I know,most Americans have no real grudge with the Japanese or the South Koreans. Both nationalities have those who live in America and a number of them have become American citizens. Korean animators have worked on American cartoons like Japanese animators have done.

Bookstores (including many comic book stores) have English translations of manga and most Americans don't seem to have a problem with it. Stuff like "Pokemon,""Naruto,"and others like them have done well over here. People like me would look at this and wonder what's the big deal? Unfortunately,what happens over there can sometimes spill out over here. A case in point,a Korean-American organization in New Jersey had erected a monument to the comfort women or those forced into being sex slaves by the Japanese military during World War II.
It was in an area with a significant Korean community there to begin with. Some time later,some members of the Japanese consulate in New York traveled to New Jersey and tried to get the mayor of the town to get rid of the monument. To his credit,the mayor said no. This wasn't in Japanese territory and the Korean-Americans had broken no laws in that area. They had every right to do that and while the Japanese consulate may have had the right to complain about the monument,they had no right to attempt to force a New Jersey town to get rid of a small monument just because they didn't like what it had to say.

Later on,some representatives of the Japanese government came to New Jersey and had asked that the monument be taken down. Again,the mayor said no. The Korean-Americans had a First Amendment right to have that monument and the Japanese government had no right to say to the Korean-American community of that town what monuments they could or could not erect. As far as I know,the monument is still there for all to see.
I also remember when I was in college,I was reading a book on Asian-American history. I saw a photograph from 1910 about a demonstration by Koreans and Korean-Americans demonstrating against the Japanese annexation of Korea. If I remember correctly,it was in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. I don't know if that photograph is online here. I wouldn't know where to look for it.

I thought that a "One Piece" exhibition at a museum dedicated to what had happened during the Japanese occupation of Korea wasn't a very good idea,especially if it showed the Japanese flag. It opened up some very old wounds and there are still those in South Korea that have still not forgiven the Japanese for what they did. For that matter,the Japanese government itself has never really apologized for what happened during that time. Although things have gotten better between the two countries recently,stuff like this will flare up from time to time. It's a shame that the Japanese hasn't really owned up to what had happened in the early years of the twentieth century.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
LordByron227 wrote:
I assume the flag that was objected to was the Rising Sun Ensign?

Eh, understandable but at some point, it does get ridiculous. Are the Koreans never going to host a JMSDF ship because of the use of the same Ensign?

What about the US Fleet stationed in Fleet Activities Sasebo, their Naval patches feature the Rising Sun quite heavily also.
The Japanese Mainland Self Defense Force ships has now been renamed The Japanese Navy once again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3