• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan - [adult swim] / Toonami broadcast.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So, how about that third episode in English, huh? First things first, I love Ashly Burch as Sasha. Patrick Seitz as Keith was also awesome. Definitely looking forward to hearing more of Clifford Chapin as Conny, Bryn Apprill as Christa, Elizabeth Maxwell as Ymir, and Austin Tindle as Marco.

Is it true that we don't get to hear much of Reiner and Bertholdt after this? I liked Robert McCollum and David Matranga's performances, though I think there's something off about the way their names are pronounced. They might be trying to replicate a native German pronunciation, but... yeah, it just sounds off.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
Bertholdt is done talking. Reiner has more lines during the Trost Arc and the Female Titan arc. Christa and Ymir barely say anything else after this episode.

if you don't mind, could you keep posting twitter posts from the cast and crew. I dont have twitter
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
if you don't mind, could you keep posting twitter posts from the cast and crew. I don't have twitter

Not as many cast and crew live-tweeting this week, but there are still a few gems, mostly from Patrick Seitz. Ashly Burch was also very pleased to see that "Potato Girl" trended on Twitter.

Tyson Rinehart @AttackonTyson · 5h
About 15 min til the episode I wrote. 1.49 million viewers can't be wrong! Bring on the Full Metal Jacket! #AttackonTitan

Ayu ‏@soymilkpudding 5h
This scene is basically a recreation of auditions at FUNimation. #AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 5h
You got this Eren!! I believe in... Ouch, face plant #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Clifford Chapin ‏@CliffordChapin 4h
THAT SHIRT IS DRYCLEAN ONLY!! "BenjaminOscar77: This scene with Jean! Still has me rolling lol #AttackOnTitan pic.twitter.com/b8fkn2wRsk"

Patrick Seitz ‏@Seitz_Unseen 2h
Young folks with shattered self-esteem are the tastiest to Titans! #AttackOnTitan

I just head-butted @MikeMcFarlandVA! Sorry, Mike! :p #AttackOnTitan

Hey, Titans. It's not delivery, it's a wagon full of washed-out recruits! #AttackOnTitan

"Omni-directional mobility gear?" Not the easiest thing in the world to say. I wanted "woosh-woosh flying thingy," but nope. #AttackOnTitan

Jean's got yellow fever, y'all... #AttackOnTitan

Sasha's gonna eat that fire, and make it her potato. #AttackOnTitan #Hetalia

At this point, anybody who washed out is guaranteed a gig with Cirque De Soleil. :p #AttackOnTitan
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
POTATO.

I am starting off my review of Episode Three with that word because that scene by far was the funniest part. I officially love Sasha because we both are very hungry animals. Everything Ashly Burch said as Sasha made me laugh until my guts bursted. SASHA IS BEST CHARACTER.

That's not to say the other characters aren't likable. I really liked some of the parts with Eren, especially towards the end when he just sounds so excited as he passes his test. It also broke my heart during that small moment when he's convinced he failed.

I should also mention Reiner and Bertolt. There's one scene where they bonded with Armin and Eren over the loss of their homes. It's little scenes like that that really make my day. Seeing these people and knowing that some of them are going to die the next episode depresses me. Oh well. I'm hooked! MORE TITAN.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Clifford Chapin ‏@CliffordChapin 2h
@JoshGrelle Why so much baggage? #AttackOnTitan

Tyson Rinehart @AttackonTyson 2h
Keith knows you better than you know yourself, cadet!! #AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle 2h
Armin's kicking into the montage like a determined little daffodil. #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Mike McFarland ‏@MikeMcFarlandVA 2h
Not cool, Conny and Sasha. Dat was my fake Titan. #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA 2h
JEAN HAS FEELINGS AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO EXPRESS THEM! FEEEELLLIIINGGSSS! #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland ‏@MikeMcFarlandVA 2h
Stop farting, @ashly_burch. #AttackOnTitan

Adam Sheehan @neumaverick 2h
Enter @matthewmercer (Levi) and all the girls go wild. #AttackOnTitan

Tyson Rinehart @AttackonTyson 2h
Eren needs to work on his casual conversation at parties. #AttackOnTitan #buzzkilldude

Clifford Chapin ‏@CliffordChapin 2h
What is it with Jean and ruining other people's shirts? #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA 2h
Let's all be Scouts... and eat stolen lunchmeat! #AttackOnTitan

Adam Sheehan @neumaverick 2h
"Try not to move!" …with a spike in your leg and unconscious, I think you're good. #AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle 2h
Way to take charge like a badass @BrycePapenbrook! I'd follow you into battle! #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

In other news, Lauren Landa as Annie is awesome. That is all.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
So, thoughts on Episode 4. Awesome! Though I think I should mention this since I couldn't last time...

Is it odd that Eren reminds me so much of Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games trilogy? Hear me out; I think Eren and Katniss have more alike than one would think. Both grew up in a post-apocalyptic world in a country made up of the last of the human race. Both participate in life-risking missions for their government for the sake of loved ones (Eren to avenge his mother, Katniss to protect her sister). They are both the hard-hitters, act without thinking, and are easily angered and manipulated by others behind the scenes. And I've only started Attack on Titan! More comparisons to come!

Speaking of which, I really liked the ending to this episode. We've got Sasha being Sasha, the team having fun, and all seems bright. Eren's got a little hope, and feels he's ready to take on any challenge. And then...

Holy Colossal Titan, Batman!

Yay! Can't wait for next week!
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
Think you're stretching for the Hunger Games comparison. Totally different dynamic between the two. (Eren's perpetually angry, proactive, and acts heedless of his own survival, while Katniss is all about surviving.)

And the reports on these Twitter comments are a good example of why I don't bother to follow anyone on Twitter. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And the reports on these Twitter comments are a good example of why I don't bother to follow anyone on Twitter. :roll:

I'm not exactly sure what's so objectionable about those tweets, especially considering they're from the cast and production staff. Jean, Conny, and Armin are clearly having a great time watching their own show.

As for what happened tonight... I have no words. I'll just let these tweets from Armin, Conny, and Jean speak for me.

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 1h
Eren was going all Shadow of the Colossus. Connys taking charge. Armin's freaking the hell out. Just another day in Titan-ville #Toonami

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 59m
If the Titans don't kill Dot Pixis, liver failure will. #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 56m
And now, @Chris24_Sabat as you rarely see him: a complete wuss. #AttackOnTitan

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 55m
Time for me to argue with @BrycePapenbrook. It happens. #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 53m
EREN used HEADBUTT. It's super effective! #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 51m
Meanwhile, Conny is in the back of the class whispering to Sasha, "is this going to be on the final?" #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 46m
I bet that one Titan is a pro at Hungry Hungry Hippos. #AttackOnTitan

Josh Grelle @JoshGrelle · 45m
Jerry Garcia Titan wants me for dinner #AttackOnTitan #Toonami

Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 44m
No Titan should smack around @AlexisTiptonVA like that. Ever. #AttackOnTitan

Clifford Chapin @CliffordChapin · 42m
Easy, breezy, beautiful. Cover Girl. -Mikasa at the end. #AttackOnTitan
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5...

Congratulations, Eren! Your recklessness and mindless rage just killed off three of your teammates and almost led to one of your best friends getting eaten! Well done! Your prize is getting your leg and arm chomped off by some Titans!

Well, things just got a hell of a lot more interesting. We've got new mysteries concerning Colossal Titan and Eren, and we have neat little flashbacks. I actually really liked the part where we see a younger Eren and Armin together. It was nice to see them talk about the outside world, and just how excited Armin is to tell Eren about things like the ocean and mountains and more. Can't wait for next week!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what's so objectionable about those tweets, especially considering they're from the cast and production staff. Jean, Conny, and Armin are clearly having a great time watching their own show.

It's not that they're objectionable, but just so completely inane that they're not even entertaining to read. But I've never found stream-of-consciousness commentary (like that seen on MST3K, which is what this basically is), to be entertaining for anything other than sports, so it could be just me.

And Akane: It's good that you like flashbacks, because that's what a big chunk of the next episode is: a flashback showing why Mikasa is so utterly fixated on Eren. You're going to find out what the whole thing with the knife in the closer is about, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Mike McFarland @MikeMcFarlandVA · 20m
Really nice stuff from @BrycePapenbrook , @JoshGrelle , and Trina Nishimura throughout it all. Really proud of this cast. #AttackOnTitan

Everybody was on their A game for this episode, not just Bryce, Trina, and Josh. Considering the subject matter, it deserved no less.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Did...

Did Mikasa just become a thousand times more interesting than she already was?

I mean, wow. That explains everything. No wonder she's so quiet. If I spoiler[witnessed FIVE MURDERS in one day, two of them being my OWN PARENTS], I think it'd be understandable that I'd hide my own emotions. Well done, Episode Six.

It looks like Mikasa used to be quite cheerful as a little girl. Of course, after what happened with her parents, and her having to save Eren, that's gone. (Kind of like with Homura Akemi in a way, to compare to other anime) She sees death around her all the time, and she has to kill others in order to protect the ones she loves. It also looks like she's trying to repay a favor to Eren by protecting him. Unfortunately, our hero is dead...or...is he? Hmmm...

Anything else? I almost cried at the beginning of the episode. Part of it was seeing Armin traumatized after the ending of the last episode. Another was seeing another scout trying to do CPR on her already dead boyfriend. Remember them from last episode? Not even six episodes in, and already everybody is dropping like fruit flies.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this show has a high body count. Armin's trauma in ep 6 is very well done and adds some realism to the situation.

I saw the 2nd OAD over the weekend. Here's hoping Funimation releases it dubbed one day: spoiler[it was funny, but that self serious humor (where everyone is taking a ridiculous situation way too seriously for humor's sake) can grate when it's overused. As for content, Jean as "star" of the show was great (the way they put him in the OP was wonderful). He is way disrespectful to his mother, I expected Eren to give him more gruff about it (along the lines of "some of us don't have moms to yell at!") I'm not sure if he just ended up serving the omelet she gave him or making his own.]

spoiler[Sasha is always great! Potato Girl Forever!]
Prophet Arbitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was shocked to see so many people die in one episode. Wondering where the story is going to go from there.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the last time you will see mass deaths of named characters. Get used to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6